iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

First deer gun for a teenager

Started by LeeB, November 23, 2007, 02:31:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rbhunter

I brought a 7mm-08 for my daughter to shoot her first deer with. I loved the gun so much I sold my 270 and now I shoot the 7mm-08. She was twelve at the time and the gun does a good number on the deer. For her first deer I used 120 grain hollow points. Since she has not hunted anymore this is now my gun and if she ever starts again I will have to get her another one.

A man I work with also shoots one and loves it.
"Said the robin to the sparrow, I wonder why it must be, these anxious human beings rush around and worry so?"
"Said the sparrow to the robin, Friend I think it must be, they have no heavenly father, such as cares for you and me."
author unknown. Used to hang above parents fireplace.

limbrat

CZ  I have a cz 527 carbine that is just a wonderful gun. Its short and lite with a great trigger has beautiful wood and is very very well made. Bolt action with a 5 round detachable magazine they come in 223 and 7.62x39 so its cheap to shoot. I have the 7.62x39 figure it is a 30 cal. a little liter than a 308 but very fast and able for white tail.

Are they building a elk herd in the ozarks?
ben

rbhunter

I could not remember who produced the carbine in a 7.62X39. I had a SKS at one time but traded it. I would like to get something like that for my wife to shoot. She has had several back surgeries so I need something without much recoil. She is using my son's 30-30 for now and he is using my 7mm-08 and I am using my muzzle loader.
"Said the robin to the sparrow, I wonder why it must be, these anxious human beings rush around and worry so?"
"Said the sparrow to the robin, Friend I think it must be, they have no heavenly father, such as cares for you and me."

DWM II

Quote from: limbrat on November 27, 2007, 08:56:49 AM

Are they building a elk herd in the ozarks?

They are re-introducing elk through-out the middle and eastern mountain ranges. I was in the Kiamchi mountains in south eastern Oklahoma and they have a reproducing herd there with a very limited draw hunting season.
Stewardship Counts!

Corley5

1st deer I shot was with a .22 Hornet.  I took a lung shot and it piled up 50 yards away  8) 8)  One shot one kill  ;)  Second deer that season I killed with Dad's 30-30.  I took two shots to be sure.  The second was when the buck stopped and was going to fall over anyway ;) ;D  The shots were 2 inches apart behind the shoulder and the deer went just as far as the one I killed with the Hornet.  I've used a .270 Win in a Mod 70 Winchester ever since.  It kills deer dead for sure but sometimes they sprint off a few yards before completely expiring.  I've haven't been able to hunt for a few years due to employment obligations but that is fixing to change ;) ;D  I mentioned the .260 Rem earlier as that's what I've got in mind for new deer rifle in an AR platform  8) 8)  Figure I'd better get one while we still can get them  :( >:( >:(
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

limbrat

Oh well it will me a while before they walk down here. I sure am ready to shoot something thats to big to drag back to the truck.
ben

ely

been there, the story about the 243 going straight thru and leaving no damage made me think back. i think it was last year but there was a brand of factory ammo that had problems with their bullets not expanding and caused hunters all over problems with wounded deer. i do not know the name of the ammo but i even seen an article make mention of the problem in the nra magazine. i personally know several people that this affected and it was in 243 cal. each time. my boss just shot some different ammo the next day and he killed his deer with that shot.
the bad deal was they lost two deer the same day with those shells, they later found both deer ruined, after they had ran away like they had never been hit. one guy found a little hair but neither found any blood at all. i also know a couple more friends that has the same story.

Haytrader

It is hard to beat a 6mm or 243 for the first gun.
Don't worry about out growing a small calibur, just get a bigger one. That is how you get a gun collection.
;)
I have "out growed" a lot of them.
:D
I have 3 SKS. One I brought back fromCambodia.
Haytrader

Part_Timer

All this first rifle talk has me wanting to add to the collection.  But where to start. ??? ??? ??? I've had an itch for a M1A.  Like Corley said "while you can get one."
Peterson 8" ATS.
The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.

LeeB

Well I finally settled on a Savage 30-06. Not the best brand on the shelves, but it will get him started and it was reasonably priced. Package deal with a scope was $365. The boy was proud as punch. Almost broke my ribs. ;D ;D
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Reddog

Good choice.
My 30/06 Savage has taken lots of abuse, and never let me down.
Nosler 180gr partions make a great all around large game round.

limbrat

Savage model 10 or 110 are find guns and dang fine shooters.
ben

LeeB

'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

rbhunter

The 7-08 I have is a 110. I love that Gun.

The one question I never asked was if you all hunt more open areas or timber? When in timber I will often grab my sons 30-30 or my black powder depending on how thick it is.

DWM II

Savage model 110 30.06 was the first rifle I bought myself when I was 16, I have always regreted selling that gun. :( Good choice and good hunting for the young fella.
Stewardship Counts!

newoodguy78

Quote from: Corley5 on November 27, 2007, 09:33:39 PM
1st deer I shot was with a .22 Hornet.  I took a lung shot and it piled up 50 yards away  8) 8)  One shot one kill  ;)  Second deer that season I killed with Dad's 30-30.  I took two shots to be sure.  The second was when the buck stopped and was going to fall over anyway ;) ;D  The shots were 2 inches apart behind the shoulder and the deer went just as far as the one I killed with the Hornet.  I've used a .270 Win in a Mod 70 Winchester ever since.  It kills deer dead for sure but sometimes they sprint off a few yards before completely expiring.  I've haven't been able to hunt for a few years due to employment obligations but that is fixing to change ;) ;D  I mentioned the .260 Rem earlier as that's what I've got in mind for new deer rifle in an AR platform  8) 8)  Figure I'd better get one while we still can get them  :( >:( >:(
Old thread I know, did you end up getting a.260? How's your source for ammo if you did? I bought one probably 20 years ago now, great little caliber, especially for younger/smaller people IMO. Have loaned it out many times and it's shot numerous people's first deer. The ammo is becoming the issue now it never really caught on I guess. Dealing with the same thing in .280 remington as well. 

Magicman

Yup, I have a .280 as well as a 7mm-08.  Maybe ammo will be available in July.  ::)

I have several boxes of both and can reload, but it's depressing to see "backorder" and "notify" when you check the availability.  Heck I doubt that 30-06 is even available.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

newoodguy78

30-06 seems to be available for the most part around here. Was in NC a little while ago and multiple guys were saying they couldn't find 06 ammo however. If I had known would have brought some down and given it to them.
I've got a few boxes but am on the hunt for more.
7mm-08 is another one I have that never really caught on in this area, haven't even bothered looking for that.
It is frustrating for sure magicman.

newoodguy78

@Magicman do you know  if the 7mm Mauser is the same cartridge as our .280?  I know the 7mm express and supposedly the 7mm-06 is the same. Just not familiar with the Mauser variation. It's an excellent caliber in my opinion. It went through so many name changes in the 70s to early 80s it's tricky when researching it. 
After searching around one would think you and I had the only two in existence  :D

Old Greenhorn

Well I am not Lynn but your question intrigued me, so I looked it up in my Hornaday Handbook. It's been a long time since I visited that book and I was due anyway. ;D

The short answer is "NO".

The long answer is that the bases of those 2 cartridges are identical within .001", but from there on out they differ. The 7X57mm (7mm Mauser) round is shorter then the .280 by about 1/4" and the shoulder and neck are also about the same amount shorter. The .280, called the ".280 Remington or 7mm Express Remington" is based on the 30-06 case but is slightly longer then the .270 to prevent mis-chambering.

The Mauser round was developed in 1892 and the .280 round was not offered to the public until 32 years after the .270 was released in 1925. Likely the .280 came out around the mid to late 50's when wildcat rounds made from necked down taller brass were very popular (.22 hornet and all those others). The goal I think was to develop smaller caliber rounds with a lot of striking power behind them and flat shooting with high accuracy and lower recoil. My opinion is this is what led to the .223 round. My favorite of all of these is the .222, but I also have a .22 Hornet that is a tack driver.

I hope this helps and perhaps Lynn can fill in the stuff I missed.

Now I surely hop this little slip-up on my part does not lead to me getting sucked back into the shooting sports again. It make me hemorrhage money I don't have. ;D
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

newoodguy78

Thank you OG I did not think it was the same but wasn't certain. Be interested to hear magicmans answer as well. In the future I'll be sure to ask you as well we both know how much fun shooting and ballistics can be  ;D

mike_belben

Praise The Lord

Magicman

My answer reflects OG's answer.  The 7mm bullet is the only thing in common.  The 7mm Express Remington had to be renamed back again to the .280 because folks were stuffing them into 7mm Remington Magnums with alarming results.

I actually witnessed it happening at a rifle range on Grand Mesa while checking our rifles before an Elk hunt.  Wasn't me but the rifle had to go to the factory back for repairs.  

I have a SIL that hunts with a 7mm Mauser aka 7X57 and I have watched him take several Mule Deer with it.

A long ago Outdoor Life gun editor, Jack O'Conner's wife Eleanor shot a 7X57, but of course he was well known as a .270 man.

I have killed Elk with .308, .280, & 30-06.

My wife, PatD and two grandsons shoot a 7mm08.  Actually hers was born a .243 but was re-barreled/chambered by Shaw to the 7mm08.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WV Sawmiller

I'm a huge fan of 30-06 and .270 simply because of the versatility and selection of rounds available. My go-to rifle is a Remington 7600 pump 30-06. with 150 grain softpoint rounds.

Although I have never shot one I also like everything I hear about the .243 for anyone who is smaller or less able to tolerate the recoil. I had a co-worker who said he first hunted with 80 grain .243 rounds then switched to 100 and killed deer but had to track them so he went back to the 80 grain and said that dropped them in their tracks. Second hand info so take it for what it's worth.

I have killed a couple of deer with my son's 25-06. Good performance and low recoil.

My first deer rifle was a Marlin 30-30. Great gun but I could never get it to fit me properly. Someone earlier mentioned getting the gun that fits the shooter.

I have no belief in the credibility of people talking about "brush guns". No high powered round is going to penetrate even leaves and small brush well so train new hunters to identify and pick an opening and only shoot when the round has a clear path to the target.

I once shot an aluminum beer can with a 150 gr silverpoint bullet in my 30-30 and it hit a broom sedge 10' in front of the can and the can looked like it had been shot with a shotgun as the bullet had totally fragmented. Imagine that was 10 yards in front of a deer instead of 10'? You'd probably kill it but you'd never find it and I'm not a fan of just feeding coyotes. I saw some studies where they tried "brush" rounds through a maze of small dowels. Even a 12 gauge slug did not not perform respectably.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

mike_belben

Almost anything will send a bullet of course. 

They make ARs in .308 if one wanted a buffer spring. 
Praise The Lord

Thank You Sponsors!