iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Not a teenager anymore!!

Started by Woodhauler, July 09, 2012, 08:03:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woodhauler

Got acting out on my artic cat atv friday nite! Got a 1000cc thundercat  that will haul the mail! Went on a nite ride with 5 others and was going fine till i went over a rise in the road about 40mph and cracked the gas the same time! She stood on her haunches and duck walked into a electric bard wire fench and upside down into a rock maple sap grove.I have gone over the same rise dozens of times and never had this out come! Knock on wood i walked away un hurt and no damage to my ride!!Guess i had some one looking out for me! The young fellows riding with me thought they was watching me being killed! The first guy on thec secne was feather white with fear. Then i spoke up and told them to get the thing off me! 800 lbs on top of you is a load! They flipped it over and off i went! My boy was angry at me! He said he thought it killed me! Also my buddy said the only reason i didn"t get killed is cause i was wrapped up in the electric fence and that was shocking me like a defibrillator!
2013 westernstar tri-axle with 2015 rotobec elite 80 loader!Sold 2000 westernstar tractor with stairs air ride trailer and a 1985 huskybrute 175 T/L loader!

clww

Be careful! I saw a guy die on a 3-wheeler back in the mid-80s when it landed on top of him after an "accidental" jump.
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

tyb525

I broke both of my arms several years ago on a dirtbike, getting hurt make money is bad enough, getting hurt playing is even worse. Be careful out there folks!
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

doctorb

When the first three wheel ATV's switched to four wheelers, one of them was called the "Quad".  As a trauma surgeon, we felt that they were named that way because of the neck injuries their drivers sustained, not because they had 4 wheels.  Please Be careful out there.  I know, it's a sick medical joke, but I've seen a lot of torn up young men and women from these vehicles.  Their changed lives were no joking matter.
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

snowstorm

nas

My Dad (a doctor) never let us have ATV's or dirt bikes because of the accidents he had see among his patients.  Don't know if this was the right reaction, but be careful on them.  He told us one story of a kid who jumped his bike and had it land on top of him, with the handlebars in his face. :o :(

Nick
Better to sit in silence and have everyone think me a fool, than to open my mouth and remove all doubt - Napoleon.

Indecision is the key to flexibility.
2002 WM LT40HDG25
stihl 066
Husky 365
1 wife
6 Kids

shelbycharger400

glad your ok, but play it safe.

seems that when people went from a slightly unstable 3 wheeler to a 4 wheeler that was more stable at higher speed so they went faster.

as far as im concerned unless your straped in a dune buggy or race car.
their is NO REASON whatsoever that you need to go faster than about 45mph on a 4 wheeler, sno machine, dirt bike, go cart, ect.    I have ridden 3 and 4 wheelers, its ok  i guess  but i remember this line Their is NO protection for the operator.  But, everyone needs a "THRILL"  i guess its natures way of weeding out .   Seems everyone is sold on the who has the biggest motor and how fast a machine can go even more to the story is seems a lot dont wear a helmet either.
well i can tell you a car can go faster than a wheeler,  2 jokers by my parents house years ago kept rippin up and down the gravel road (Its Illegal to operate on hiways and roads)  well they were  chased  down in my old neon race car, my buddy was goin over 60 through the corners , sideways, and straight aways  doin over 115mph , they left the road into a field, with sparks commin out the tailpipe of that Yamaha.  never seen them again..lol MELT down.

nother story , a buddy was joyridin on a groomed trail in the U P, michigan,  doin what he says 80, turn came ,  sno machine went straight.  he was lucky to only break a few ribs,  i think if i remember right he bailed before it hit a tree .  He also said those trails are littered with plastic .  flesh and blood go away in a short time.

Play safe people!

easymoney

you are extremely lucky to not get hurt. did anyone say hey do that again i want to see it.

MHineman

About 35 years back, my nephew and a friend of his were always racing around on their 250cc dirt bikes.  They didn't get hurt seriously off road, but the friend did on road.

An older guy was at the house with his small (height wise) dog that looked like an overstuffed sausage.  The dog darted across the road as the kid came over a rise in the road to a flat area where the dog was. 

The front wheel hit the dog and bounced up, then the back wheel hit and bounced up higher.  that brought down the front wheel and left the back wheel up in the air.

The kid was wearing jeans, no shirt, and fortunately a helment.  The helment had a visor that came down to about the tip of his nose.  He came down on the helment and scraped his face on the road and tumbled a few times.

Surgery to repair his upper and lower lips, chin and broken finger or two was the extent of serious injury.  And all this happened at about 30 mph.
1999 WM LT40, 40 hp 4WD tractor, homemade forks, grapple, Walenstein FX90 skidding winch, Stihl 460 039 saws,  homebuilt kiln, ......

Woodhauler

2013 westernstar tri-axle with 2015 rotobec elite 80 loader!Sold 2000 westernstar tractor with stairs air ride trailer and a 1985 huskybrute 175 T/L loader!

Norm

Yikes!

We had a neighbor out spraying fence rows who didn't show up or answer her phone. Her son went looking and found her dead under the flipped 4 wheeler. I switched to a UTV with a roll cage, too old and too wise for 4 wheelers.

thecfarm

You was some lucky. The kids Father had a 4 wheeler flip on him somehow. They was in front of him and than he wasn't there. Went back looking and saw arms and legs sticking out. Was a tree in the path and it flipped, on him. He was fine. He was not cowboying it,just happened that's all.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

hackberry jake

I have had atvs most of my life. They are very versatile and they help save your back if you respect them. If you don't respect them it will cost you dearly. I have only been to the hospital once because of atvs and it was my own ignorance. Me and a friend were climbing an old abandoned sawdust pile thats about 50' tall. It was Sunday and all the college kids were heading back to school. A few were stopping to watch us play on the pile. I was 16 and showing off for the pretty girls. The wheeler bogged down and came over backwards. I jumped off but landed right under it. Some bruised ribs and 8 staples in my scalp (no helmet) taught me a valuable lesson.
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

Delawhere Jack

My BIL was riding across a field on his farm. Straight and level terrain, but the grass was almost two feet tall. He forgot about the drainage ditch....... They say that he looked like Superman as he "flew" free of the quad at 30mph. Very lucky to walk away with just scrapes and bruises.

sandhills

Same as Delawhere's story but chasing the neighbors bull out of our pasture.  I'd been all over the pasture all day cuttin thistles and knew there wasn't a ditch there but got behind him, lost my patience with him, and I found a whole.  The top of the front rack on the 4 wheeler lined up perfect with the opposite side of the whole, screwed up my shoulder, right leg (caught the throttle on my way over the handle bars), and pretty sure I broke a couple ribs on that little stupidity attack.  Worst part, didn't get the bull out and didn't even feel like trying to anymore after that.

Woodhauler

Quote from: Norm on July 10, 2012, 06:32:37 AM
Yikes!

We had a neighbor out spraying fence rows who didn't show up or answer her phone. Her son went looking and found her dead under the flipped 4 wheeler. I switched to a UTV with a roll cage, too old and too wise for 4 wheelers.
Trust me norm, a new can am side by side is in my future!

snowstorm

Quote from: Woodhauler on July 10, 2012, 06:23:35 PM
Quote from: Norm on July 10, 2012, 06:32:37 AM
Yikes!

Trust me norm, a new can am side by side is in my future!
a SKI DOO say it isnt so. polaris the only way to go. you'd look good in a rzr. wear your seatbelt just incase it turns turtle

Ken

I lost control of a very fast 2 stroke 3-wheeler many years ago and put a major dent in the gas tank with my knee as I exited over the handlebars.  Gained a great deal of respect for motorized toys that day.  Glad you walked away unscathed.  Take it as a learning lesson and play safe.

Cheers
Ken
Lots of toys for working in the bush

sawguy21

I managed to dent myself on a three wheeler, a sled, and a motorcycle. Not seriously hurt but enough to make me think twice, I don't heal so good anymore.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

JohnW

Thanks for the instruction.  Do whatever it takes to stay safe, and make sure your boy does too.

Thank You Sponsors!