iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Leatherman© tools

Started by isawlogs, March 25, 2012, 11:04:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

isawlogs

I have had on my belt with me for the past many years a leatherman© multy tool. Have had a few different models, change being made for different reasons, misplaced, broke found ... I use mine daily, cutting baler twine on the hay is a regular thing. First one I bought was a Wave, lost that one then I got a Flair it has a cork puller butter knife and a fork. My latest is a Wingman, got that one on sale cause both my Flair and my Kick where broke, one had the tip of the pliers broke off, the other I had bent them on my hay cutter in the barn, they broke the blade on the hay cutter  ::) They also had a broke screw driver.
   A few months ago I brought my Orvis fly rod tip to the sport shop to have waranty work done to it... (read replace the tip section of my rod ) Wich was taken care of by the customer service at the store, I asked them about getting my Leatherman fixed, told them that I had broke them by means other then what they where intended for, testing the knife of a hay cutter inadvertently sure does not fall onto any type of waranty that I know of , we both laughed some and I told them I was more then willing to pay for the repairs as I liked the tools a lot. We (they) sent the tools to Leaterman© and I got them back last week. Both have been fully restored to like knew, actualy I am thinking that they may have just shipped me brand new tools they are so shiny.
  Orvis gave me a new tip shipped in a new rod case, no charge other then transport.
  Leatherman Tools send me two new or fully restored to new tools also at no charge other then transport.
   I am almost ready for opening day of fishing   8) 8)  :)
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

sawguy21

Now that is service. They could teach Nikon a thing or two, my DSLR has been in the shop for over 4 months and I can't get a straight answer. >:(
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Dan_Shade

awesome.  It feels good to do business with a company that has pride in its products
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Magicman

I have carried a Leatherman© "Original" for more years than I can or care to remember.  One was sent back for warranty work, and they shipped me a new one.  How many times each day does it see use??
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Banjo picker

I have two Leatherman Blast...I lost one on the fence line and found it few weeks later...I wear one of them ANY time I leave the house...the sissors in there are sharp enought to cut your fingernails...Tim
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

CHARLIE

I've also had a Leatherman Original for many years. I don't wear it everyday but do when I head out fishin' or any kind of work or recreation outdoors. I don't know how many times I drag it out of the drawer to do maintenance around the house instead of getting tools from my shop. They are a good and well built tool and best of all it was developed and is made in the U.S.A. 8)
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

Ken

I've been wearing a leatherman for many, many years.  Very few days ever go by that I do not use it for something.  I also bought them for my equipment operators and they use them regularly.  Broke a tip off the pliers one time and was looking at a new one.  When I told the salesman why I wanted another he reminded me of the warranty offered by leatherman.  That particular model was at least 15 years old before I broke it and I got a brand new one shipped to me for the price shipping. 

Highly recommend this tool to anyone that works around any type of machinery. 
Lots of toys for working in the bush

Chuck White

I have a Leatherman "Super Tool".

I use it a lot around the house and garage, but don't carry it often.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

snowstorm

i agree the tool is great. i have the charge works good. anyone have trouble with the case that holds it? i cant get much more than a year before the velcro is worn out and the tool wont say put

SwampDonkey

I never carry any knives and tools on me, but at work with the saw I have a sackful which goes with me to the woods, but left on the edge of my work area (so I know where to go looking). I would just loose anything that has to be strapped on a belt and don't like anything like that in my pockets. When you work in thickets, you will understand. :D But, I would say, it sure sounds like a good product(s) to reach for when needed, great warranty to.  :)

As to the Orvis, I have one with a spare tip. It's old, but was hardly ever used by the owner. He was a guide and fisherman, but wanted to take good care of it like one would a special gun in your collection. ;)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Magicman

Quote from: snowstorm on March 26, 2012, 06:59:25 AM
anyone have trouble with the case that holds it? i cant get much more than a year before the velcro is worn out and the tool wont say put

I only use the leather belt pouch and they last a couple of years.  The pouch is not warranted but replacements are available from Leatherman.  I just order several which saves on shipping cost and I always have a spare when I need a new one.

There are four knives with me all of the time.  A tiny Swiss Army in my left pocket, a small pocket knife in my right pocket.  A folding knife hanging inside of my left pocket and the Leatherman.

Stuff needs cutting.   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

snowstorm

they dont warntee the case? dont tell LL BEAN that cause i took mine back. the tool was fine the case was not.

Magicman

Unless they have recently changed their policy, and I doubt that they have, the leather, etc. carrying case is not under any warranty.

dukndog

Leatherman's are a great multi tool to always have handy. Didn't know about their warranty though.
On another warranty item, when my wife and I first started dating, she asked what I wanted for Christmas. I had been eyeing one of those Columbia Quad Parka's, with the gortex shell and thinsulate removable liner. Well, to my surprise her mom got me one. That was 1983. In 2001, a local retailer in Little Rock had a sale on the newer Columbia Widgeon wader jacket so I bought one. It was updated from that 18 year old one, but the old one had lost it's waterproofing, velcro on the cuffs had ripped and the zipper had broken. Well the salesgirl told me they had a "lifetime warranty". I sent the old one in and got a brand new one in a larger size of course!! I gave it to my dad with the understanding that if anything happened to him I get it back!! I now wear alot of Columbia apparrel due to this!!

Rich Miller
WM LT-15G25 w/PwrFeed, Mahindra 3510, Husky 385xp, Stihl MS261 and a wife who supports my hobby!!

Den Socling

I never take my Swiss Army knife off my belt. A week or so ago I was a real dummy and walked into Sky Harbor with my knife. Luckily, I was meeting my daughter at arrivals. I still felt like a dummy and then noticed all of the cell phone pouches. Don't worry people, it's just my phone.  ;D

I was just thinking about the days before 9/11. I was late for a flight to LA. I was speeding through the loose security they had back then when they saw my Buck knife on my belt. They took it, put it in an envelope and returned it when I reached LA. Boy how things have changed!

samandothers

I have a Leatherman wave and love it.  I lost one on a back packing trip years ago.  I had given my dad one after I got mine because I liked it so much.  He put very little mileage on it as he always carried a pocket knife.   When he passed I got a virtually new one!

barbender

I consider my Leatherman Wave to be like a limb. I always have it on me. For years, any of the local retailerswould take back a broken leatherman and exchange it over the counter. That lead to many abuses, like people breaking their knife blade off because they were too lazy to sharpen it, just exchange it for a new one >:(
Now Leatherman requires you to send it in for warranty repair, I understand why but gee, I hate sending in my tool for a broken screwdriver or something and being without it for a month. So, I bought a second one so I can rotate them  ;D I really love my Leatherman.
Too many irons in the fire

DeerMeadowFarm

My father always said "A man that carries a pocket knife is worth $0.25 more per hour!" That was his comment on how useful a knife was....imagine what he would have thought (even during his depression days) what a man carrying a Leatherman would be worth? Maybe a whole $1 per hour more!  ;)

samandothers

When I was young I would ask my dad if he had his knife, because I wanted to use it.  His reply "Do I have my britches on?"

Magicman

Your Dad was a smart man.   :)

CHARLIE

I've carried a pocketknife ever since 6th grade. I'd be lost without it. It's usually a Case Peanut that I 've had for many years but if I determine I might need a bigger knife, I carry my Case Trapper.  My next step up would be one of my fixed blades.  Anyway, I believe no one should be without a pocket knife. I'm always using mine and can't understand how anyone could get through the day without a knife. It is a great tool! Leatherman just expanded a great tool into a fantastic tool.
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

Ron Scott

I've carried one for years. Wouldn't be in the woods without it. I thought that I was the only one hard on sheaths.I now have a heavy duty "after market" leather sheath with a snap closure that has held up well so far.
~Ron

isawlogs

The tool is, as far as I am concerned, a necessity of daily life.  :) Not a day goes by that I don't use it a few times.
  The case that comes with them does not last very long, I also had an after market tool holder made by a leather worker with a snap lock. I need to have the snap changed on it as it don't hold much anymore.
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Chuck White

I have a "Scout Lite" (it's a Boy Scout commerative) that I have carried daily since 1985.  They don't make it any more.

It was made by Buck.  It's a folding knife that I carry in a case on my belt.

I have sent it back to Buck and they (without charge) replaced the blade 2 different times.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

SwampDonkey

That's what the family here carried around was Buck knives. After my teen years, I never carried a knife in my pocket much. But had it in the vehicle or the house where I new were to look.  ;D Never cared to carry them and never really needed one unless I was by the vehicle. Reach in the dash, walla! ;)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Thank You Sponsors!