iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sciatica pain

Started by drobertson, December 13, 2012, 10:59:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thecfarm

Stuck in and could not move??  :o  Glad no pictures. Take care of that wound. Or should I say hole.  :(
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

doctorb

Ouch, Spiker!

As far as the nerve root irritation that leads to what is called "Sciatica", there is debate in the medical world whether to wait it out or to have the bulging disc removed.  Neurogenic pain is not well tolerated, and those patients that can not get adequate relief to a tolerable level with rest, braces, medication, and injections end up going to surgery.  It sometimes happens quickly, as in my case, and it sometimes takes a couple of years to either bug you enough to decide on surgery or to improve on its own.  Believe it or not, studies have shown that the results at about 5 years out from surgical versus non-surgical treatment are about the same.  However, those of us with unremitting nerve pain tend to go to surgery, as the amount of discomfort sometimes can not be brought down to a tolerable level.
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

SPIKER

Not too bad looking today, (couple days later.)   The wound scabbed over well and seems to be healing.   Not hurting or showing any signs of infection  8) 8).

As many know I had back surgery (the barbaric type) Aug1st 2008, they took out 3 discs complete disc-vasectomy, they cut me from tail bone up 6+" to remove them removing the pointy parts of the bone off all the vertebrata and grinding nerve slots for the passageways.   This was done at a Vet Teaching Hospital so think I was used as a next best thing to a cadaver training tool... >:(   The original damage was in 2 discs and mostly sciatica on left and left leg mobility issues.   Afterwards (was going to be 3 hrs and out in a day) ended up in surgery for 6+ hrs and almost 9 till I was out of recovery and back to my room.   Had no mobility for over a day & half below waste, ended up with vacuum suction type drains in and infection that kept me almost 30 days in hospital.   3 months with walker to get around and on a cane for better part of a year.

Fast forward to last few months my right leg is now starting to also have no feeling (one I got stuck on the other day.)   I have slowed down a lot but still have to keep living or might as well jump on a ice flow...   The Left leg is numb/pins and needles 24/7/365 from knee down and entire foot.   stays cold and often trips me up walking around on un-level surfaces or in woods.

Now I had suffered for 15+  years with my sciatic compression and according to the docs feeling probably never will come back.   

That why I always say if it hurts dont wait go to doc and have it fixed RIGHT...  ;)

Mark
I'm looking for help all the shrinks have given up on me :o

kensfarm

I had re-read the entire thread to see if anyone had mentioned Alieve.. and a few had said they had taken it.  I suffered for years w/ back pain as well..  most times it felt as if someone speared you in the back w/ the end of a hoe handle.. but I also suffered from Sciatica pain in my left leg.  I did Advil, heat packs, cold packs all seemed to provide only minor relief.. it came to a point last Thanksgiving when my pain was so severe that my stomach muscles locked up and walking bent over was all I could manage.  Sitting in my computer chair just made it scream.  Now I take 3 Alieve at night before I hit the bed.. it has made my back pain almost none existent.. and I haven't had the Sciatica pain since.  Everyone's situation is different.. but if you haven't tried it..  some info.

Naproxen was originally marketed as the prescription drug Naprosyn by Syntex in 1976, and naproxen sodium was first marketed under the trade name Anaprox in 1980. It remains a prescription-only drug in much of the world. In the United States, the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) approved its use as an over-the-counter (OTC) drug in 1994; OTC preparations in the U.S. are mainly marketed by Bayer HealthCare under the trade name Aleve and generic store brand formulations in 220 mg tablets. In Australia, packets of 275 mg tablets of naproxen sodium are Schedule 2 pharmacy medicines, with a maximum daily dose of five tablets or 1375 mg.

Deese

I must say that I am MUCH better since the shot in my back...Just like they said--It took about 10 or so days before I would really know if it helped or not.
I can now sleep on my side again without pain in my leg. I am also taking 2-4 alieve each day. I still have some pain/tingling in my lower leg but NOTHING compared to the pain before the shot. I'll keep yall posted.
2004 LT40 Super 51hp w/6' bed extension
Cooks AE4P Edger
Cat Claw sharpener/Dual Tooth Setter
Kubota svl75-2 skidsteer w/grapple, forks, brushcutter
1977 Log Hog Knuckleboom loader/truck

SawyerBrown

Great news, Deese!  Don't appreciate pain-free like we should, do we? 
Pete Brown, Saw It There LLC.  Wood-mizer LT35HDG25, Farmall 'M', 16' trailer.  Custom sawing only (at this time).  Long-time woodworker ... short-time sawyer!

Deese

By nature we just take things for granted....
But I'll tell you what---It will be quite a while before I forget how that pain felt!
Cooks AE4P Edger

BradMarks

Deese:  are you doing any stretching exercises?, it might help relieve some of the lingering pain/numbness.  I get little "reminders" once in awhile to do my stretches. Feels better after I do. And probably if I did the stretching everyday I wouldn't need a reminder ;D

drobertson

Reopening this topic, not real excited about why, going back in 13th of Sept for more fusion. Its been a real battle for the several months, may have to sell the mill, going to set on this for a while,
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

WDH

Sorry to hear this.  Back pain is really tough to deal with. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

red

Quality of Life , how much pain can you live with . I am thankful I can walk somedays.
Honor the Fallen Thank the Living

Deese

It's been a little over a year since my last shot in the back. I have almost constant dull burning sensation in my left calf and rare, brief moments of intense pain in the bottom of my foot. Hopefully it won't get any worse. I got an MRI probably 2 years ago and it showed one disc completely blown apart, with visible fragments surrounding the area, and two discs directly above bulging. Looked bad. I exercise my left calf regularly to help keep the strength in it. However, my left leg and calf (especially calf) cramps all the time, so it stays sore most of the time...Very Wierd.
Cooks AE4P Edger

Ed_K

Talk to your doctors, they have started replacing disks. A friends wife just had one replaced and is doing really good.
Ed K

red

Well I just typed up a long post about how my back went out . . but it  did not go thru ?  So I go to the doctor tomorrow I will update then . from a real computer and not a cellphone

red

I guess there is a few ways to sell Back Pain and just cant think ..  when it first happens it does not feel that bad and most people just try to work thru it.. then one day you just cant get out of bed .. and most likely to late for over the counter pain meds .. but with most muscle problems a heating pad and then icing for 15 minutes and REST like real rest ... everything you do will just make it worse .. and chiropractors may help I always said I would try acupuncture but I am to chicken for that ...Swimming is the best exercise for me ...I had two discs removed in 1998 and now I am in need of more surgery ... somedays I say no way I just cant do 6 months recovery then the next morning at 4 am I wake up Screaming in Pain saying cut me open ... google back pain Quality of Life ... when all else Fails do as the Doctor Ordered ....Good Luck

ppine

I have struggled with this subject since the late 1960s after an industrial accident.  I have found that physical therapy helps a lot, rather than chiropractic.  I wear a back brace before doing heavy work. I stretch every morning before getting out of bed. I like hot tubs and warm weather.

Logging did not help it at all.
I try not to life more than 50 pounds. Keep moving, but use the right posture.  Hanging upside down in a device helps a lot also.
Alcohol and drugs should be a last resort.
Forester

red

This post is Robertson's back problems and surgery

alan gage

Thanks for dragging it out of the archives. Interesting reading. 

Alan
Timberking B-16, a few chainsaws from small to large, and a Bobcat 873 Skidloader.

Thank You Sponsors!