iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Well i guess i did it now!! UPDATE with MRI report

Started by Woodhauler, March 07, 2017, 07:53:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woodhauler

Trying to load a tire and rim into my 3/4 ton 4x4 gmc this morning and I slipped on ice when it was almost in body. Came down hard on my right arm. Think its broken. It was one of those 425 wide base tires on rim. I tried to roll out of way but it got me hard. waiting for ride to hospital.
2013 westernstar tri-axle with 2015 rotobec elite 80 loader!Sold 2000 westernstar tractor with stairs air ride trailer and a 1985 huskybrute 175 T/L loader!

petefrom bearswamp

Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Weekend_Sawyer

Wow, It just hasn't been your year.

Good luck
Jon
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

Woodhauler

still setting here, thinking about going to hospital , waiting to see if I can bend my shoulder. I can bend arm at elbow now but shoyulder is not giving in yet.
2013 westernstar tri-axle with 2015 rotobec elite 80 loader!Sold 2000 westernstar tractor with stairs air ride trailer and a 1985 huskybrute 175 T/L loader!

sawguy21

You stubborn cuss, get that arm looked at. At least to get painkillers if nothing else. If it is damaged and doesn't heal properly you will really pay.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

sandhills

I'm in total agreement with sawguy, get it looked at!  I hope it turns out fine but I came off a horse hard on my right shoulder 7 or 8 years ago and never went in, it's never worked right since then.

Woodhauler

Well my happy pills are wearing off! I am heading to er now. Severe swelling and pain at a 8 on a scale of 1-10!!!

Woodhauler

I am back, severe bruising of elbow and upper arm/ bone. Some damage to shoulder, nothing broke!!! on more happy pills and anti inflamitory pills. in a sling, sleep in recliner chair , don't work for seven days, like that's going to happen! out come could have been worse.

Gearbox

Be careful climbing the ladder that's going to be tuff with 1 arm . Heal quick move the recliner to the sugar shack .
A bunch of chainsaws a BT6870 processer , TC 5 International track skidder and not near enough time

Woodhauler

well it was a long night! tried sleeping in recliner, that didn't work . Tossed and turned till midnight, took a happy pill and muscle relaxer and got into bed. Slept till 6;30. Seems alittle better today. Having breakfast and trying to get dressed one armed. I have a truck driver coming after lunch.

Don P

Shoulders are one of those things that don't heal. There are 4 muscles and tendons that hold the rotator cuff together. Working folk tend to tear them out one fiber at a time. Without an MRI you can completely tear out one and fool the docs push and pull tests. When you tear out the second one the arm goes down and cannot be lifted by itself. If you don't get that fixed promptly it will never raise again. That surgery is no picnic and takes a couple of years to get over. Not meaning to pile it on but do take care of it and listen to the docs. When you push into the pain you're tearing it. If you feel barbed wire around your bicep where the kids get that barb wire tattoo that is your bicep tendons chafing through the joint, they can also disconnect. If a doc ever prescribes Cipro antibiotic, read the fine print. It can cause tendon rupture. You got 2 more hours than I did last nite. Take it easy buddy!

Kbeitz

I had a full tendon tear in my right shoulder. I had an operation two
years ago. I still have pain. It take forever to get back to normal.
Nothing I want to do again.

Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

petefrom bearswamp

Glad to hear nothing broken.
Rest that sucker.
I have had both rotator cuff tendons detach and repaired  first one 1997, next 2000.
Cant lift anything with my arms extended, bot not too much pain.
The joints sound like rice crispies whe I move em.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

tree-farmer

Hope you heal quickly. Smashed shoulder years ago, have most of my collar bone in a jar (got to keep up with your parts, even if they are not attached anymore)
Great injury for letting you know when the weather is about to change. As others said, take time to heal, hope it was not your dominate side, makes things awkward if it was.
I've always said I would give my right arm to be ambidexterous... ;D
Old doesn't bother me, its the ugly that's a real bummer.

Woodhauler

Quote from: tree-farmer on March 08, 2017, 06:50:13 PM
Hope you heal quickly. Smashed shoulder years ago, have most of my collar bone in a jar (got to keep up with your parts, even if they are not attached anymore)
Great injury for letting you know when the weather is about to change. As others said, take time to heal, hope it was not your dominate side, makes things awkward if it was.
It is my dominate side, finding lots of every day things hard to do!!

sandhills

My neighbor broke his wrist on his dominate arm a few winters back, he thought he was going to starve to death before he could hit his mouth with a fork full of food, I'd laugh but that's about how ambidextrous I am also  ::)

Kbeitz

Quote from: Woodhauler on March 08, 2017, 08:22:27 PM
Quote from: tree-farmer on March 08, 2017, 06:50:13 PM
It is my dominate side, finding lots of every day things hard to do!!

Like taking your tee shirt off. Or zipping your fly...
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Don P

I hope you got a little more rest last nite Woodhauler. When all that stuff is swollen and the bursa (You know water on the knee, you got water on the shoulder right now) is puffed up it doesn't pass through the space between the top of the ball on your arm and your collar bone. The more you can keep it quiet the sooner the swelling goes down and it'll pass through the gap again easier. Keep that elbow pinned to your side for now. When you push that pillow of flesh through the joint it stays swollen and chafes, so there's why the R&R right now. How you hold yourself when you use it makes a little difference in the amount of space is there, that isn't this week but keep it in mind from here out. "Glass full" is how you lift, hold your hand like you are picking up a glass full of water, see how that rolls the upper arm and that ball at the top of it, there's the most gap going up. The flesh is now through the joint. Pour it out on the way down, see how that rolls the ball a little and helps let that pillow slip out easier. Don't practice now, you need to let that pillow deflate. In work you'll see how rarely you get to hold yourself "right" but keep it in mind and do it when you can.  If they have to go in they'll port and polish that gap as much as they can. Even if you aren't sleeping there is good in just resting.  Take it easy  :).

tree-farmer

I feel you pain Woodhauler, as to the awkwardness lets just say you will find out who your real friends are when you need help cleaning your bum....one  of those european rigs, a bidet I think they are called would be handy.  Hang in there buddy.
Old doesn't bother me, its the ugly that's a real bummer.

Don P

When I was in school I fell and broke both wrists. As the doc was putting on the casts he said "I'd be thinking about that next dump about now". That was a reality check! When I got back to the dorm the guys decided, yup, I was gonna die. They were pretty good though, I'd get back from class and there would be a few new empty bread bags to suit up with. The next time I broke one my sweet wife took me down to the farm store and got me some long cattle gloves. Now that my friend arthur lives there one of those fancy French short drinking fountains is on the wish list  :D.

luvmexfood

Hope you get to feeling better. Seems like we can get hurt doing the simplest things. I was out on a job back in September for a company I do some work for. Banged my elbow but not bad. Two weeks later after some pain finally went to DR. Nothing broke. That was on a Thursday. They did give me an antibiotic because it was red and slightly swollen. By Sunday you would have thought my arm would bust open it was swelled so bad. More weekly trips to Dr. {nurse practioner} MRI. Couldn't find anything wrong and she said maybe the MRI was read wrong. Quit going. Odd thing it was just barely a bump but I did have ahold of a heavy cabinet.
Give me a new saw chain and I can find you a rock in a heartbeat.

sandhills

Don P, another friend of ours also broke both wrists at once, he said he never knew his wife loved him that much  :).
My bil dropped a tele handler bucket on his foot last week and broke it, was scheduled for surgery last Monday but of course infection set in he goes back to see Doc today to find out when it can happen, mega doses of IV and oral antibiotics.  Take care of that shoulder Woodhauler and take it easy for a while.

coxy

Quote from: luvmexfood on March 09, 2017, 08:12:13 PM
Hope you get to feeling better. Seems like we can get hurt doing the simplest things. I was out on a job back in September for a company I do some work for. Banged my elbow but not bad. Two weeks later after some pain finally went to DR. Nothing broke. That was on a Thursday. They did give me an antibiotic because it was red and slightly swollen. By Sunday you would have thought my arm would bust open it was swelled so bad. More weekly trips to Dr. {nurse practioner} MRI. Couldn't find anything wrong and she said maybe the MRI was read wrong. Quit going. Odd thing it was just barely a bump but I did have ahold of a heavy cabinet.
I did the same thing to my elbow about 3 months ago but it never swelled never went to the doc and now I have trouble gripping something it hurts so bad and now it looks like I'm growing a second elbow when my fore arm is bent in to my chest if I hold the phone to long I have to take it out of my hand with my other hand and the tiers will dribble down my face when I try to straighten out my fore arm my wife says I'm an ars for not going to the doc some day ill go most likely when its to late

Woodhauler

Still no movement at shoulder! When I try the pain says no. Can use arm from elbow down with minimal pain there.

kensfarm

Might put some heat on it.. nice hot shower help you sleep good.  Yep your gonna have to take it easy for a bit.. hope you heal fast. 

Peter Drouin

Quote from: kensfarm on March 10, 2017, 08:27:15 PM
Might put some heat on it.. nice hot shower , 

And some Crown Royal,  ;D  Get well soon.
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Don P

This is short but some pretty clear reading about what is going on;
https://www.cedars-sinai.edu/Patients/Health-Conditions/Bursitis-of-the-Shoulder.aspx

This might be a better pic of the bursa that is causing the problem, you've got a couch pillow in there right now.
http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/bursitis/multimedia/bursitis-of-the-shoulder/img-20006772

Keep that elbow pinned to your side for awhile or the bursa just stays blown up. If you push through that repeatedly it isn't good. It sucks but if you're good to it it will keep it from being a whole lot worse. My unfixed shoulder is where you'll be soon enough. I had things to do here the other day but took the wife on a cruise just to be away from temptation, I could feel mine puffed up, that 440 lb trebuchet weight got away from me a little bit the other week when I was welding it up and a few more fibers went. OK, so I took her on a cruise all the way to Blacksburg, but we did tour the Napa  ;D

Ed_K

Rita made up a rice bag. We put it into the  microwave for a few seconds to a minute. When it's hot I put it on my neck or lower back. It help's a lot.
Ed K

Hilltop366

Sorry to hear of your injury Woodhauler.

Google "Ice or heat", I was told heat is for sore muscles and ice is for injuries and if swollen never use heat.

Hope you recover quickly!

p.s
I use "811 Nova Scotia" for info, it is run by the provincial health care department so no one is trying to sell you something. Under search you can look up "shoulder injury"

Woodhauler

Well I had to move my truck out of garage and that told me I'm not ready to go haul wood! Had all I could to turn the key and then release parking brake.

Woodhauler

Had a long night, pain was severe! Had to pop another happy pill at midnight! Today is so so. I am getting restless. First real cold snap in a month and im messed up.

Kbeitz

When I had my rotater cuff torn the pain didn't  go away until I got it fixed.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Woodhauler

Think im giving up on happy pills! Even though I only take them at night, I'm sleepy during the day too! I can move it some but like someone earlier said it sounds like a bowl of rice crispys! Pain is so so.

Ed_K

Woodhauler, I found that taking extra strength Tylenol made the happy pills work better and make me less tired. I have two doctors and three nurse practioners that all say take the pills 😀. I take one pill at four hour intervals and Tylenol's in between.
Ed K

Woodhauler

Well I got one load hauled myself today!!!!!!!!!!! Only thing I cant do is throw straps over load. Guess I will have to have cutters do that for me. Still cant move shoulder straight out. Pain is ok , I can live with it.

Don P

One thing that might help gently loosen it up. Lean forward over a table supporting yourself on the other arm and let the sore one hang down like an elephant's trunk. Just gently dangle and swing it, no power just  loose pendulums and small circles. It helps keep it loose without strain. Mentally try to tuck a newspaper under your armpit and keep it there all day otherwise  ;).

Woodhauler

Well  a update with MRI findings! Not good,  Heres what it said! There is a complete retracted tear of the entire supraspinatus tendon with tendon retracted by 4cm. The tear has occurred within 10mm of the insertion in the greater tuberosity. The tear may involve some of the superior fiber sof the infraspinatus tendon, but the bulk of the infraspinatus tendon appears intact. There is also complete retractedtear of the subscapularis tendon, and the long head of the biceps tendon has slipped completely out of the bicipital groove. There is a moderate amount of fluid in the subacromial/subdeltoid bursa. There is superior subluxation of the humeral head. There is minimual atrophy of the supraspinatus and subscapularius muscles. There is degenerative change in the acromiclaviculay joimt with mild bony overgrowth on its superior margin. there is a type 2 acromion. No humeralfracture is evident. No visable glenoid tear. Small shoulder joint effusion.    Impression; 1 .Massive rotator cuff tear involving the entire supraspinatus tendon and subscapularis tendon, and possibly extending into the most superior fibers of the infraspinatus. 2. Complete displacement of the long head of biceps tendon out of the bicipital groove where it lies along the anterior aspect of the humeral head.  SO in words we all can understand, I AM SCREWED!!!!!!!

DelawhereJoe

Well you are screwed, but just think how much reading and posting you can do for 3 months while you recover.
WD-40, DUCT TAPE, 024, 026, 362c-m, 041, homelite xl, JD 2510

Kbeitz

You will be screwed... That's how they reattach it...
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Woodhauler

Been reading a lot about my shoulder, its going to be a long road ahead if they do the operation.

Don P

I feel for ya, get it done. On the bright side, you'll never play the accordion. Sounds very similar to my right shoulder a few years back. It'll take a couple of years before you really get all you can back. I've got a second date with the tunnel on Tues to look at the left. We're keeping the boat industry alive  :).

Kbeitz

It took me around 3 years to get over mine....

Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Peter Drouin

When you see the doc, be sure you tell them to do a good job, with extra screws or glue or whatever. That you don't work at a desk,  :D :D :D
Have a friend had to go back and have it done over, Pulled apart on him. He told the doc to fix it so he can pick him off the floor with one hand.
That worked, my friend is good to go now.
Good luck.
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Ed_K

Peter you don't understand doctors think everyone work's at a desk :D.
Woodhauler, I hope you can get it fixed. I'll pray for you to be able to get in the truck by fall.
Ed K

Jeff

Don't want to make it any worse, but this aint going to be easy and you need to know going in. I have probably more experience with this of anyone outside of a surgeon. 5 shoulder surgeries. It will get better after surgery but you MUST  MUST, do the P.T. after or it won't. You MUST MUST not do anything outside of the limits set for you after surgery or it won't. None of that "I feel good, maybe I can... DONT DO IT. You can screw the surgery up easily. You are talking a year to recover.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Woodhauler

One of the questions I will have for the surgeon , is how much damage can the fix that's from prior injurys. I have had 2 other major shoulder injuries and never went to doctors . My right shoulder sets 2 inches lower than my left.

Jeff

That sounds like a broken clavicle that grew back wrong. I'd bet he says that's gong to have to stay the way it is.

Woodhauler

Well now I hate this so called Obama care!!!  I don't go to doctors much, but with this I went to a doctor that isn't on my wifes plan!! So I had to have all the stuff switched to her listed doctor, which turns out to be a nurse practiciner! They want to start the whole thing over again! I told them the doctor already put in for surgery, so why cant you just take over from here? They have me down for first doctors visit may 16th to look at shoulder?????? They are requesting records from my current doctor, I told them I have MRI report and it says it screwed. Also asked them what would happen if surgery was before my doctors visit? She didn't know. I could have gone anywhwere  I wanted on our old plan and they would pay no matter what!

Jeff

Please don't make me have to move this to restricted by making it political. I know its frustrating.

Woodhauler

Quote from: Jeff on April 24, 2017, 03:31:58 PM
Please don't make me have to move this to restricted by making it political. I know its frustrating.
Nothing political about it , its called Obama care.

doctorb

Woodhauler-

1.  OK, you're shoulder is damaged and acting like it's never going to recover.  It has a good chance to improve after surgery.  It will never be perfect but decent function with relief of most pain is the usual result.

2.  You don't need surgery tomorrow.  This injury/damage/rotator cuff tear has been there for quite a while.

3.  You would be better to direct your frustration with the medical system into finding a fellowship trained shoulder specialist who does 98% of his rotator cuff repairs via an arthroscopic approach.  Many surgeons, who are usually not fellowship trained, have experience with rotator cuff tear treatment, commonly start with the arthroscopy.  When they can't solve the problem through that approach, they then perform an open procedure.  Certainly, every surgeon switches to an open procedure once in awhile, but it should be relatively infrequent.  That is what you're trying to avoid.  Find out what percentage of your surgeon's cuff repairs are open vs. arthroscopic.  A second or third opinion here, including driving some distance to find the right specialist, may serve you better than worrying about who is doing your pre-op work-up.

4.  Ask Jeff real questions about his shoulder and his recovery via PM (Yes, Jeff, you've been volunteered!).   He's right.  It takes a year and diligent PT.  Ask me all the questions you want.
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

Woodhauler

On   1, I was almost pain free till MRI place pulled my shoulder out, I have decent function now. On#2 I figured some damage was old, and glad to see you think some old damage can be fixed  On#3 The surgeon I am waiting on does the kind of surgery you describe. Guess I will have lots more questions for surgeon when I see them. Hopefully it goes well and I am not down long.

sandsawmill14

woodhauler listen to these guys   :) i canceled my shoulder surgery 2 yrs ago this past september and it hasnt gotten any better wakes me up several times a night ( how ever many times i roll over to my right side ::) ) some days its not to bad and some days its miserable  :( i have full motion still but it hurts so bad i dont use over 3/4 or maybe less :-\   dont ask why i didnt reschedule because i dont know ??? i guess the same reason i waited 4 week to go to the doctor when i fractured my leg ::) when i finally went he took x-ray and said it was broken and healing ok but why would i wait 4 weeks to come to the doctor ??? and i told him i thought it would quit hurting eventually but it didnt  :-\ he laughed and told me " it will in about another month"  ::) he also told me next time come see him the day it happened and he could save me alot of suffering ::) :D :D :D
i just dont like doctors >:(   (when they are in the office ) sorry doctorb no offence meant  ;D :)
hudson 228, lucky knuckleboom,stihl 038 064 441 magnum

doctorb

My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

Ed_K

Is there any chance you could get over to Hanover,N.H. to Dartmouth,Hitchcock Medical Center? #1 Their very good at listening and #2 their good at explaining the problem and how to fix it. Their number is (1-603-650 5000)
Ed K

red

If you don't have the surgery your Quality of Life will suffer. My Father needed hip surgery at 70 years old , he never had the surgery and suffered until his death at 88.
Honor the Fallen Thank the Living

Don P

Just got back from the ortho docs with mine. There is what he called a full tear but it is not torn loose, retracted and atrophied like 2 on the other side were. It's torn loose a side of the upper tendon from the ball of my arm, the muscle is still looking good and full sized and he said I had time. He complimented me on showing better sense this time. I pretty much went till the wheels fell off last time. I brought up that Michelle is worried we will lose our health insurance but I want to work through the summer if it doesn't tear it up worse. So, he put me down for right after Labor Day. That also helps keep the bucks we've spent toward the deductible in the same year as the surgery. They stopped paying for PT last time after I had rung up 3k in bills there so I'm going to probably dig up the old exercise papers and make some of that stuff before hand. This should be a whole lot easier than last time, if getting in a knife fight with a doctor is ever easy  :D.

When are you goin in Woodhauler?

Woodhauler

Well I finally got a date to see a surgeon, may 26th!! Almost 3 months after injury! I am back to work now with minimal pain. No happy pills, just a tylonol once in awhile. Figured out a few different ways to do things, as in I don't throw load straps up and over a 13ft 6 in tall loaded truck! I lay them on ground and use loader to lift them over! I hope I can wait till the spring to do it.

Gearbox

The last 3 years I drove I used a rope and a 3/8 hook to pull the cables over the full bunk loads . Happens when we get old.
A bunch of chainsaws a BT6870 processer , TC 5 International track skidder and not near enough time

Ed_K

What all are they going to do with this surgery?
Ed K

Woodhauler

Quote from: Ed_K on May 25, 2017, 07:19:48 AM
What all are they going to do with this surgery?
Ed, met with a surgon last Friday, She said she didn't think there was much they could fix. I am asking for a new surgeon. She said a lot looked like old damage.

Ed_K

Old or not, they should be able to something.
Ed K

Woodhauler

Well i have been back to work for 3 weeks or so, Got pain almost all day. I'm going in a week to see new doctor.

Thank You Sponsors!