iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Nervous about starting, upgraded again, Matt at TK is taking care of business!

Started by Ronnie, September 27, 2011, 10:12:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ronnie

First I ordered a TK1400 then I changed my order right before delivery and upgraded to a TK1600 with hydraulics. I have had it for 2 months and really enjoy sawing and am anxious to get the word out about the mill. So much so that I called TK and ordered the 2000 with setworks yesterday. They had no problems taking back the 1600 and I didn't lose a dime. Awesome customer service! I am picking up the 2000 Friday and taking  it to a small farm and feed expo on Saturday. Just as a display and to hand out some new business cards that come from the printer also on Friday. I am nervous about putting the word out because I am not real confident in my skills yet. The last thing I want to do is cut some wavy boards or miss cut some dimensional lumber. Any way did I mention I love this sawing stuff. I hope I am not rushing into the business end of it, I am still brand new. Hopefully I am done upgrading this thing and can put it to work. Maybe my first few customers as I start should all get deep discounts for letting me practice on there logs or as  Tom says " I want to thank all my neighbors for not charging me to practice on their logs". Any advice getting started would be great. I guess I could hide the mill and keep practicing or just jump in there and get baptized by the fire. I have read Toms business advice over and over! Most of my customers will also be farmers and woodworkers like Toms.
TK2000, JD5075, Stihl 660,270,170.

fishpharmer

Congrats on the new big mill.  I promise you can't go wrong following  (get well soon)Tom's advice. 
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

Magicman

I set up with a good view of the road and started sawing my own logs.  Just sawing various dimensions and folks started stopping.  That was 10 years ago.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Bill Gaiche

Welcome to the FF. Hope all the practice stears you to more logs.  Did some Pheasant hunting out of Centerville one time.bg

redbeard

Go for it if you have 2 months with the 1600 you will do fine. I only had a couple of logs sawn before the customers started showing up. Best way to become a good sawyer is getting alot of BF under your belt. I have been sawing since 06 and learn new things everyday. Especially here on the FF, I don't know which is more addicting the forum or sawdust.
Whidbey Woodworks and Custom Milling  2019 Cooks AC 3662T High production band mill and a Hud-son 60 Diesel wide cut bandmill  JD 2240 50hp Tractor with 145 loader IR 1044 all terrain fork lift  Cooks sharp

Bibbyman

I wouldn't cut prices to start with.  I'd saw by the board feet and take my time to try to get everything as right as I could.  Then when time to tally up,  you can round down a bit to make the customer really happy.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

ladylake

You won't need to upgrade a TK 2000, has everthing. Take Bibby's advice by the bf and take your time.   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Kansas

You are in an area that doesn't have much for sawmills, but plenty of timber. You should be fine. I am already starting to get calls from farmers that are dozing or clearing this year. Just get the word out. Sale barn bulletin boards, cheap classifieds in local newspapers, craigslist. Or if you really want to jump in, last I knew, two established mills are up for sale somewhat near you. Kincaid and St. Paul. Not that I recommend it. But it does mean that there is a real void in your area for mills. Also, there is a guy down around the St Paul/Walnut area that knows a lot about grading lumber. He's a heck of a good guy. If you choose to do some of that, might be worth having him give you some pointers about logs and lumber.

paul case

way to go ronnie.
i dont know how it is in your area(not too far from me) but here i have quit any kind of advertising and i am still picking up 2 or 3 jobs a week. i actually turned one down last week. he was wanting something that i dont think i can make to please him.
be careful about discounting price. discounting bdft is better so no one can come up later and say ''you only charged so and so this much''. i found that most folks are real pleased and i have never heard anyone say'' i though my logs would make more than that''.

sawdust is as addictive as the forum? i thought i was having fun. i didnt know i was hooked.  ;D pc
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

Chuck White

Looks like I have to agree here, establish what you want to get paid per board foot and if you want to cut the customer a little slack, charge him/her less than the total board footage comes to.

On a good size job, 1-2 hundred board feet is no big deal and is easy to absorb!

You'll also find that "word-of-mouth" will be your best advertisement.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Ronnie

TK2000, JD5075, Stihl 660,270,170.

Thank You Sponsors!