iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

MS250

Started by Doug Rubey, February 09, 2019, 10:45:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug Rubey

I have two ms 250 I keep in my farm trucks to clear limbs and such off my pasture fences can't get the things to oil the bar changed the pumps tried different oils no luck, any suggestions to cure this. I have 4 other stihl saws but there way to big and heavy for fence line work. 
Doug

sawguy21

Welcome!! It sounds strange that both have failed. Are the saws stored outside in the cold? Maybe you need to cut the oil with diesel.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

John Mc

Welcome to the forum, Doug!
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Doug Rubey

Thanks for the response yes all my saws are keeped outside in the shed I have tried every kind of oil I have here on the the farm weather does not mater hot or cold temps.the other stihl saws I no problem with  saws are 031 av ms280 036 pro 044 mag.nothing wrong with the other saws using the same bar oil.
Doug

dougand3

You changed the pumps? How about the nylon worm gear? It has the J shaped spring that fits in the drum slot to rotate and drive the pump. Nylon is what normally wears and won't turn pump.
Maybe the oil tube out of the tank is clogged?
Husky: 372xt, 272xp, 61, 55 (x3)...Poulan: 315, 4218 (x3), 2375, 2150, 2055, 2000 (x3)...Stihl 011AVT...Homelite XL...Saws come in broken, get fixed or parted, find new homes

philipxxx

It maybe oiling but you cant see it...this happened on my husky/////////  take bar and chain off saws  run and see if oil comes out the holes..... that's what I did//// if it does......clean your bar/ 

wild262

Run your saw with the end of the bar close to a white or light colored surface, and run wide open for a few seconds.  If its oiling, it will leave a line of oil on that surface.  If not, than its not oiling.  Stihl does make a high output oiler for that saw.  I will try and find the part number tomarow.

Air Lad

A person such as yourself who has a number of machines to use would notice if one isn't oiling because you have the others to gain comparison from.
You can tell as it starts to look dry and hot then needs tightening a bit more than usual
Quote from: philipxxx on February 09, 2019, 06:09:13 PM
It maybe oiling but you cant see it...this happened on my husky/////////  take bar and chain off saws  run and see if oil comes out the holes..... that's what I did//// if it does......clean your bar/  

You will sort it out Doug
Cheers mate

limbwood

hold the plastic worm gear in your hand tightly and try to spin wire, if you can move it by hand it needs to be replaced. the wire will spin but gear wont turn so no oil is pumped.

Doug Rubey

most of the things everyone mentioned I, already tried except the worm gear don't remember if I changed it thanks for all your help i will let you know what I did if I get it figured out
Doug

realzed

Don't recall that you mentioned the bar/chain getting hot with use - but I certainly would expect with any amount of cutting either or both would obviously show signs of heating up - assuming a no oil situation.
If you are using Stihl oil it is very hard to detect these days verses cheaper/thinner oils on the market, but if your saw is rev'd up any decent length of time the inside of the chain case should show some level of oil coating if it is pumping out any oil at all!
Again with the new type of Stihl oil (if that is what you are using) the oil hole in the bar and the bar slot has to be super clean to make whatever oil does get pumped is useful and apparent because it certainly doesn't flow or even show up if it is, like it did previously!    

doc henderson

Stihl has several bar oils.  the old orange jug, the premium silver jug, and  a blue low viscosity winter oil.  you can rev the saw near a piece of wood pointing the tip of the bar at it.  it will sling the oil going around the bar tip and you should see it on the board.  My worm gear broke on my 046 when it got sawdust packed in there mixed with oil.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Doug Rubey

yes the bar and chain do heat up rapidly to the extent the clutch will not turn the chain i  shut them down at that point.I have never used the stihl bar oil but may try it just to see if it does make a difference. Thanks for the help
Doug

joe_indi

Is the clutch drums 'dancing' on the crankshaft? If it is then the oil worm drive might be jumping out of its groove on the drum.
As a temporary fix for this you can bend the drive upwards to engage the drum moremor

Allar

The worm gear on stihl ms250 is made of plastic and could easly have stripped threads.
Assuming that you checked your oil lines/filter for blockage, worm gear is your best bet.
Firewood & Chainsaw videos: Firewood Warrior - YouTube

doc henderson

here are the two bar oils I use, the oil in the blue winter jug is thinner.  I also buy the on/off spouts so I do not get oil all over the saw and or floor.  I think they are few bucks on amazon.  cause my uncle always ends up wanting what I have, I order 5 at a time on amazon.  works great on most gallon jugs.  I use one on the brake fluid for my 76 ford f700 state dump truck.  It leaks a little when sitting and the master cylinder is on the firewall, back at the low spot under the hood.  I switch the spout back and forth, and have 2 new ones on hand.

Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Fishnuts2

I've had a 250 that the clutch drum bearing was shot from a lack of grease.  It allowed the clutch drum to have enough wobble as to not engage the pump drive.  Might be worth checking regardless.

Loggerpro.

Phew, I've  actually sprained 2 fingers trying to start a friends ms 250, I very much dislike the model. 
I'm not elderly either hehe.  I would not try to fix those, I would just buy a 241c and be done with the hassle. The models I mostly use these days are the 180 c....with a 14 inch bar( the 050 bar and yellow chain )   for limbing and for the bigger limbs a 261c with a 18 inch on that.  That's my 2 cents.

Wish husky would stop making saws with outboard clutches , such a pain to clean and fit chains ! just thinking out loud.

Doug Rubey

I use to have a husky 346 xp real nice saw but i got a little carried away with the rpms and blew it up they quit making them so I just replaced it with the two ms250s 
Doug

firefighter ontheside

The Stihl winter bar oil has not been available around here this winter. :-(
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

doc henderson

I am checking a buddy in MO, he sells it but not sure how far away.  the spout pictured actually comes with that white adapter to fit a quart or a gallon.  I trim the hose back.

doc henderson

he lives in Louisiana now

Thank You Sponsors!