iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Finally got my log loader project started!

Started by logman81, March 21, 2019, 08:45:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

logman81

So I finally pulled the trigger on a older Finn rotor log loader! I cant find any info on line on them so I'm thinking not many out there. It does have the I'd tag still on it but don't know how much that will help with anything. It is built very rugged for a small loader and I read that they were the original designer and manufacturer of the first continuous rotation rotate. It also came with a 20hp Honda engine and pump but no hydraulic tank but easy to get. 
The reach is 18' so it has good reach and a bypass grapple I think is 40" opening. Probably going to work with my friend while owns a fab shop build me a custom trailer to mount it.img]http://forestryforum.com/gallery/albums/userpics/23822/Screenshot_20190316-195703_Samsung_Internet.jpg?easyrotate_cache=1553171557[/img]
Precision Firewood & Logging

logman81

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

luap

I bought a Finn rotator for my loader project and Napa had the correct hydraulic fittings to fit the metric threads. The only websites I could find on Finn rotators were in Finnish which left me out. One site did have a chart with dimensions and ratings of the different units they made which was helpful.

luap

logman81

Very cool this loader appears to be a well built machine.

logman81

Thinking I want to build brakes into the build of my log trailer but I want to run the dot rated farm implement tires and wheels. Has anyone got one with brakes or know a system that will fit the 15 agg wheels. I'm thinking hydraulic surge breaks.

barbender

In my experience, surge brakes can be worse than no brakes at all. I had a skid steer trailer I was pulling with a 3/4 ton about push me into oncoming traffic one time. You'd touch the pickup's brakes, and the trailer would push and lift the rear end. So then the back tires would break loose. About that time the trailer brakes would get a notion to set, just when you released the brakes on the truck because you were sliding. Then the trailer brakes would release again. And repeat😬😂 Granted, the truck was a bit light for the application (company rig) but it turned me off in a big way! I was happy when a few years later the DOT laws changed and all those trailers we had with surge brakes had to be replace with electric.
Too many irons in the fire

thecfarm

I like the adjustment on the dash for mine,light to heavy,electric brakes.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

logman81

Ok but that doesn't answer my question is it possible to put brakes on with implament wheels I can't seem to find anything that matches up together.

logman81

You agree though brakes are needed at least pulling in over the road I'm going to be pulling with my one ton truck.

thecfarm

I use to haul a 40 hp tractor,with a ¾ ton. Yes the truck was a '78,but those trailer brakes really helped out. And that was only 10 miles.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

chevytaHOE5674

Ag is typically 6x6 or 8x8 and trailer is 6x5.5 or 8x6.5, etc bolt pattern for the wheels. So typical cheap off the shelf electric brake hubs aren't going to work. Personally I've not seen electric brakes setup for the 6x6 ag bolt pattern as very little ag equipment runs brakes let alone electric brakes.

I have seen electric brakes on the bigger 8 on 8" pattern. But I'm not sure you can run 15" wheels with that setup. Probably need at least a 16".
Agricultural Trailer Brakes at Trailer Parts Superstore

Personally I would run normal 8x6.5 trailer axles and brakes. Wheels and tires for that setup are everywhere because that's what all the older 3/4 ton trucks were.

logman81

I cant run normal tires and axles it wood not have the suspension or flotation to use in the woods I want to be able to do both.

chevytaHOE5674

You can run any ag flotation 16" tire on a standard truck 8x6.5 rim and trailer hub. I had a hay wagon with standard 8x6.5 trailer hubs on ag spindles with walking beam tandems in the rear with 425/65/22.5 semi truck floater tires on it. That thing would practically float on water. 

logman81

I might just put the widest on roadtrailer wheel and tires on it I can find still thinking....

logman81

Does anyone have a metavic forestry trailer?

logman81

Ok my mistake I thought someone on here owned one. I'll do my own research and development then.

thecfarm

@logman81, I did a search on metavic and it came up with 6 pages. I would do another post,with metavic in the title. I betcha someone will see that. Your question is buried in a post that some may not interest them and not click onto it.

logman81

Thanks I'm going up to the show in may I'll get all the info live in person there instead.

Bert

That looks a whole lot like the loader I have only mines a little smaller. Its a stout little loader. I have zero idea what it is. Found it on Machinery trader cheap years ago. (on another truck then)

>

Saw you tomorrow!

logman81

The loader is not as big as it looks in the pic it's a 18' reach made by Finn-rotor the original designer and manufacturer of the 360 continuous rotator. Pretty sure your loader is a little bigger actually.

Thank You Sponsors!