iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Homemade Winch Grapple...

Started by Coon, October 31, 2011, 04:28:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Coon

Hey everyone.  I was just wondering if anyone has plans for or made their own log grapple for on the end of a cable winch?  Basically, I am looking for one like on this site...

http://www.qualipro.ca/trailer.htm

Pics would help me a great deal in designing something like this.

Thanks.
Brad.
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 w/Kohler,
Husqvarna, Stihl and, Jonsereds Saws

T Welsh

Coon, a pair of lifting log tongs would work,maybe a little big but will do the job. Tim

Taylortractornut

Take a sheet of  5/8ths plywood and   mark out a few radii  using a  5 gallon bucket for for marking the  radi.    Just cut  out 2 of them and  bolt them together to get all your closing chain lengths.       Yo umight get a few Ideas off Freepatents online.com    THey have several logging tong and grapple diagrams from older set ups. 
My overload permit starts after sunset

Coon

Tongs would definately work for me too.  I am hating wrapping the chain around logs more and more all the time.  ;D  Just figure it would be simpler with a grapple or tongs to grab the log and go with it.

Thanks for the links Taylortractornut.  I will check it out and see what I can find.

Taylortractornut

I might  can burn out a  grapple like that on my burn table   looks pretty simple.   What diameter are you  wanting to pick up. 

Coon

The biggest logs I would pick up with something like that would be maybe an 18" diameter log at the best.  Most of the time it wouldn't be any bigger than a five gallon buckets diameter wise.  I am doing some extensive cleaning of the woodlot right now as I have an abundance of spruce that is standing dead or blown over.  Most of the woodlot has not been touched in probably 15 years in any way shape or form. 

Taylortractornut

Heres a  link to one on FPO site from 1953.    This one could be made in more of a grapple shape in 2 pairs connected.   THis one has a  remote release cable sheave on it.

http://www.freepatentsonline.com/2786709.pdf

Coon

Thank you.  That diagram will get me on the right track of what I am trying to accomplish.   :D  See pictures are definately worth a thousand words.   ;D   ;D 

John Woodworth

I at one time thought about mounting a hydraulic grapple off a swing frame picked up by the winch but never got around to it, just a thought.
Two Garret 21 skidders, Garret 10 skidder, 580 Case Backhoe, Mobile Dimension sawmill, 066, 046 mag, 044, 036mag, 034, 056 mag, 075, 026, lewis winch

T Welsh

Coon, I made a pair of grapple,s from a rail road tie lift one time and they worked pretty well. just cut the handles off it and burnt 2 holes in the top and attached a chain to it. Tim

Coon

I'd be way ahead of the game if I could just find a set of heavy ice tongs  ;)  The problem lies in finding them anymore.   ::) 

I got a set kinda on the verge of being built but not exactly what I want either.  Don't really care what they look like as long as they work for me.  The ones I am working on look like they will be too clumsy but not gonna know fer shure until I get em done and try them out.  ;)   Boy oh boy some of the things us rednecks do in a pinch eh?   :D 

T Welsh

Coon, remember it,s all in the hook angle.look at a pair of lifting tongs compaired to skidding tongs and you,ll see the difference. rednecks like us think the same(why buy it when I can build it) :D Tim

Coon

Just finally getting a chance to go work on my contraption.  ;D

Thank You Sponsors!