Sponsors:

Need answer...

Started by Mr Mom, March 12, 2006, 08:14:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr Mom

What is a cull log???

Thanks alot Mr Mom

J_T

Can be too small crocked as a dog's hind leg hollow one or all the above wiil cull it around here  8) I thy not fool with anything less than8' 8" and stright 12" small end  8)
Jim Holloway

boboak

Out here on the left coast a cull is usually a log that has no value.  Too rotten to be a saw log or has too much defect.  We used just leave these in the woods or cut a little firewood from them.  Now they're usually chipped up and hauled to co-gen plants.
Sometimes you get things done faster if you do them slower

timberjack240

around here from wha i understand foresters  mark em and its yur choice if you wanna  cut em you can and if theyre good thats money in yur pocket if not you wasted yut time  ;D

Ron Wenrich

Technically, a cull tree is a tree with less than 50% of the scalable volume in sound wood.  That can be due to rot, sweep or crook.

Some foresters will mark an undesirable tree as a cull.  That's a disservice to the landowner.  They are worth something and shouldn't just be given away. 

On my sales, I would require culls to be either cut or killed.  If you didn't want to take them, then let them lay.  To not cut them means those undesirables will be your next forest.  What was the use in marking them if they aren't supposed to be taken out of the stand?  My opinion is that its poor sale management.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Engineer

Around here, there's a strong market for firewood from cull trees or cull logs, and the softwood goes to the pulp mills. 

I don't feel that anything gets wasted unless it's a standing dead, hollow tree or rotten, and then it provides a home for 'critters'.  My dad always told me to leave trees like that for critter habitat, not all of them, but maybe one or two per acre.

Mr Mom

Thanks alot.
     Just from the word and the way it is used i didnt think it was very good wood.

Thanks Alot Mr Mom

jrdwyer

I agree with what Ron said except that the price paid for standing timber is a reflection of both the timber to be cut and the time it takes to do it. In today's high production logging environment, you can sometimes receive higher bids on timber by not forcing the logging company to cut cull trees and instead just give them the option to cut such marked trees. This is especially true with standard chainsaw cutting as opposed to mechanized harvesting. The cull trees can then be cut down or deadened in place after the harvest  by either a forester, a forestry technician,  or the landowner. Finally, cost-share money is sometimes available to help defray the cost of doing TSI pre or post harvest.

Ron Wenrich

My experience has been that if the logger doesn't do it, it doesn't get done.  The forester is out marking other timber sales and puts it on the backburner until its forgotten.  The landowner will soon tire of it because they have to crawl through all those tops.  It sure is a lot easier to get it done the first time and make it part of the contract.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

jrdwyer

I do TSI for my clients, so it does get done. In addition to cull trees, I take care of grape vines and ocassionally noxious plant erradication like autumn olive. My attitude is to treat the client's property like my own and perform the work. I charge on a per acre basis and usually do TSI in the winter. It provides some variety to timber marking and timber cruising. This is common with many consultants in Indiana.

Bill Johnson

I'll go with Ron's explanation.

To me a cull log is:

Any log having more than 1/2 of its volume defective.  Culls can easily be determined by comparing the square of the defect diameter with the square of the sawn surface. If the square of the defect diameter is greater than 1/2 of the square of the diameter of the sawn surface the log is cull.

You'll have to excuse for this example, I'm programed to work in metric.

Log has a diameter of 20 cm and has a defect of 16 cm on the sawn surface. The square diameter of the log is 20X20=400 cm2.  The square of the defect is 16X16=256 cm2. Since 256 is more than 1/2 of 400 the log is cull.
Bill

Mr Mom

Thanks bill.
     Thanks to all for the help.

Thanks Mr Mom

Thank You Sponsors!