iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Boxing the heart with a Peterson?

Started by ex-Engineer Wannabe, September 07, 2007, 04:55:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ex-Engineer Wannabe

I've been interested in owning a Peterson mill for quite a while now, but I'm a bit conflicted about something.  We intend on milling our own timber for a timber frame home in the [hopefully] not too distant future.  The largest frame elements should be 8" x 10."

The question is: Will this type of beam be a problem for the Peterson?  I'm inclined to believe that it shouldn't be, but then again, I've never actually seen it done either.  I'm a bit of a perfectionist -- a real character flaw these days  -- so I'd really like the beams to be as close to square as I can get them before I work them.  Square rule joinery is challenging enough without built in error.

Thanks for any thoughts ... especially from the folks out there cutting beams with a swinger. :)      

"Measure twice, cut once" -- Don't know who coined this one, but he was pretty wise.

schmism

check out youtube for a peterson in action

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oF7aYVwi7Uw

assumeing you get one thats large enough to cut a 8x10 then you should have no problem
039 Stihl 010AV  NH TC33D FEL, with toys

Fla._Deadheader

There should be no problem boxing the heart on an 8 X 10 beam. Saw both sides of the log to 10" beam so there is 8" standing on the log. Then, just cut the beam off the log, using wedges, as said before.

Practice will "per-fect" the cutting.  :)
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Ianab

Same answer here too  ;)

QuoteAssuming you have an 8" cut mill, it's pretty easy.

Place log on the mill, open up the top face and saw some boards from the top of the log until you are 4" from the pith.

Then switch to 8" vertical boards or just cut off the left hand slab, depending on the log size. Leave 5" from the pith this time. Make a 5" horizontal cut under the beam from this side.

Then go to double cutting mode (blade guard off and saw from the other side of the log). Take slabs / boards from the other side until you have your 10" beam sitting there with the bottom part of the log attached. Make another 5" cut from the other side to release your beam.

The log never moves during the sawing process, so the beam should be straight and square

Only hard part is moving the beam, but you have to do that no matter what mill you use

That will let you go up to 8" x 16" beams. If you need to go bigger than that you need to roll the log over 1/2 way though and saw off the other other side of the log. More technical and harder work as you have to re-level the log after you roll it. But it can be done.

Cheers

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

ex-Engineer Wannabe

Thank you, folks.  As ever, the best way to approach things is to go directly to the source.  ;) 
"Measure twice, cut once" -- Don't know who coined this one, but he was pretty wise.

Captain

Did those 2 6x12 18s last evening Bill....absolutely gorgeous....cutting some 2x6s today.  That job of 6x10s can be held up for you to participate if you wish.

Captain

Thank You Sponsors!