iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Marking plants

Started by Radar67, March 13, 2009, 12:01:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Radar67

What is the best way to mark a tree or shrub for permanent Identification? I would like to mark/tag some of the trees and shrubs I have identified on my property to make sure I leave them standing and to help with future id of other plants.

I've found the plastic tags like you see in nursuries and also seen the metal tags you attach with wire. What do the professionals on here use?
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

SwampDonkey

Aluminum tags that look like a thick chewing gum wrapper, you can write on them with a pen to leave an impression in them. Attach with wire to a twig. That's what's done on forest development plots that DNR monitors for decades. With seedlings I want to watch over I just tie pink winter grade ribbon with UV blocker. And use the GPS to take a position if off trail. That's what gets used on silviculture blocks to and the ribbons hang for about 10 years. I kinda look for them when marking out plantation for brushing because sometimes the naturals grow into the plantation and you don't know where is ends. Also, the natural stuff is a higher rate for the cutters. Surveyors use it to retrace properties as well. ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

jeffreythree

If they are along an improved trail, I have been marking small plants with small metal gardening plant markers.  It has worked well with little plants, like your wild violets, that are hard to tag otherwise.  I also get a good digital photo and put the GPS coordinates in the photo info so that if I lose a tag I will know about where it should be and what all is(or was) on the property.
Trying to get out of DFW, the land of the $30,000 millionaires.  Look it up.

WDH

With the woody stuff, aluminum tags like Swamp says.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Banjo picker

Quote from: SwampDonkey on March 13, 2009, 12:24:03 PM
Aluminum tags that look like a thick chewing gum wrapper, you can write on them with a pen to leave an impression in them. Attach with wire to a twig.  ;D

I've seen these on bundles of rebar, but where could i come up with some of these creatucers.  Tim
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

SwampDonkey

Forestry supply outlets. Here's one place, in your state. ;D

http://www.forestry-suppliers.com/product_pages/View_Catalog_Page.asp?mi=1182

Mailing Address
Forestry Suppliers Inc.
205 West Rankin Street
P.O. Box 8397
Jackson, MS  39284-8397
Sales: 800-647-5368
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Banjo picker

Quote from: SwampDonkey on March 14, 2009, 05:43:28 PM
Forestry supply outlets. Here's one place, in your state. ;D

http://www.forestry-suppliers.com/product_pages/View_Catalog_Page.asp?mi=1182

Mailing Address
Forestry Suppliers Inc.
205 West Rankin Street
P.O. Box 8397
Jackson, MS  39284-8397
Sales: 800-647-5368

Thanks SD ..  I went through the reg. process, but they wanted over half to ship the 200 I was trying to order.  I'll give them a call and see if a human could get that shipping a little better.  Tim
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

Thank You Sponsors!