iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Tic repellant question

Started by Jim_Rogers, April 18, 2019, 08:34:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Don P

Michelle had another run in with a tick last week and started to feel the symptoms again. She apparently can't tolerate doxy anymore, tried twice and blowing cookies in minutes. She went in today and they put her on amoxy till they know more from the blood work. I hate them little buggers  >:(

SawyerTed

Some folks get a headache and nausea from using DEET.  I'm one but I didn't used to.  Apparently DEET over time can cause a reaction in some people.  I have a boat captain friend at the coast who has the same problem. He's the one that told about it.  I quit using DEET and quit having the reaction. 

Picaridin lotion is what I use now.  It comes in a quart with dispenser pump.  It repels ticks and all sorts of biting insects.  I've tried the spray but it doesn't stay effective as long as the lotion.

I spent a month at Portsmouth Village on the Outer Banks last summer.  Picaridin on my skin and Permetherin on my clothes kept the insects from being an issue.  
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

thecfarm

Never heard of Picaridin lotion. Just looked it.walmart has Sawyer Picaridin lotion. ;D Gotta be good with a name like that. I will have to check there to see if they have it. Dick's Sporting Goods has it too.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

caveman

JohnMc, Chrysanthemums, if I recollect, produce pyrethrum.
Caveman

thecfarm

I found one on me last night. :(
Usually I only find less than 10 on me,and most times that is early in the season,as in now. I hope that stays true this year too. I am outside every day and live in the woods,but so far we do not get many ticks on us. Lucky!!!
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Don P

Quote from: caveman on May 12, 2019, 10:03:53 PM
Yes. I asked my wife about just putting mums in your pocket. She didn't think there would be enough to do anything and mentioned that she understood pyrethrum is a contact poison rather than a repellant.

John Mc

Quote from: Don P on May 13, 2019, 07:39:13 AM
Quote from: caveman on May 12, 2019, 10:03:53 PM
Yes. I asked my wife about just putting mums in your pocket. She didn't think there would be enough to do anything and mentioned that she understood pyrethrum is a contact poison rather than a repellant.
Yes. If I recall correctly, it's basically a neurotoxin that only effects insects. You treat your clothing, rather than put it on your skin, since it starts breaking down in contact with your skin and becomes ineffective.
I now have t-shirts (long and short sleeve), 2 pairs of pants, and several pairs of socks (of varying brands) all of which have the factory treatment. They have been working well for me so far. I went out the other day bushwhacking while marking for a new trail. I was wearing treated socks and pants, but an untreated shirt. When I got back home, I found 2 ticks crawling and a third attached all on my upper body, but none from my belt-line down.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

SawyerTed

@thecfarm try Amazon for the Picaridin lotion.  The lotion is better than the spray IMHO.  A little bit goes a long way.  My wife uses it as well.  Yes it is a Sawyer product
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

thecfarm

Just about the way I hoped it was going to go. Had ticks the first part of summer than dropped off to none. Not saying the DanG ticks are not out there,just not finding the ticks on me.
Thanks for the tip SawyerTed. Looks like I will check that out next year.

lxskllr

I'm pretty sure it's a light tick year around here. I think I've found two this year, and I've spent a fair amount of time in the lowland woods they seem to love. Mosquitoes OTOH...

rjwoelk

Same up here in Saskatchewan a couple of ticks that is all
Lt15 palax wood processor,3020 JD 7120 CIH 36x72 hay shed for workshop coop tractor with a duetz for power plant

doc henderson

my buddy had about 30 tic in the past few weeks, he has been sick and had a rash, but he said these were not deer ticks.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Ron Scott

Certain areas seem to be worse than others here. I've tried to stay out of the heavy tick areas which seem to be moving north. I'm just putting a game camera out in one such area now where the infestation had lessened per the landowner's observations.
~Ron

Ohio Dave

One of the guys at my campground swears by using a peppermint/coconut oil mix.  It works but you smell like chewing gum.

Thank You Sponsors!