iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What kind of tree is this?

Started by Bigc1989, January 15, 2017, 09:01:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bigc1989

Wish I could identify trees better without looking at the leaves. What kind of tree is this please? Thanks in advance!  :) also hopefully I posted these pics correctly.

WDH

Maple for sure, probably red maple, Acer rubrum.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Bigc1989

Thanks that's what I thought to until somebody told me it was an ash then I wasn't sure anymore. Thanks again.

WDH

Definitely not ash.  Definitely a maple.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

SwampDonkey

Bark and twigs look like soft maple, probably a red maple.  And a nice one to. 8)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

nativewolf

The key giveaway there is that the twigs are opposite (twigs branch out exactly opposite from one another, when one is missing just look for a scar, twigs/ branches fall off but they leave a scar) .  So when you see opposite twigs/leaves then you have narrowed it down quite alot.  Ash is another tree family with opposite structure but stems are thicker, buds different, and bark is very different. (you could google it but it is blocky).  You'd likely never confuse a mature Ash and Maple bark.
Liking Walnut

Bigc1989

Mad bucking horse

Maple
Ash
Dogwood
Buckeye
Horse chestnut

All opposite branching correct? Something I learned a while back but can't remember if I'm missing one?

Also ash bark looks a lot like black Walnut bark doesn't it?

WDH

The bark of the two look very different to me.  Walnut bark is very dark and fissured.  Ash is more greenish brown with tight interlacing ridges.

Bigc1989

Probably just my inexperienced eyes then  :)

curdog

I learned the opposite trees by mad cap horse
Maple
Ash
Dogwood
Caprifoliaceae  (the viburnums)
And the horsechestnuts

Thank You Sponsors!