iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Dead stacked pine

Started by woodman58, December 03, 2016, 07:47:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

woodman58

I would like to know at what RH can I dead stack pine framing lumber. It was down to about 18% MC. Would it be O.K. to dead stack?
i LOVE THE SMELL OF SAW DUST IN THE MORNING.
Timberking 2200

robmelby

I believe kiln dried framing lumber from lumber yards has that same MC. There lumber is stacked in tight hacks and banded. I think your good to go, keep it covered. Water is the enemy.

Don P

I agree, I've checked framing lumber, they try not to dry below the 19% on the stamp and it stores fine.

My understanding, feel free to correct me, is that the moisture sapstain and decay fungi need comes from the free water rather than the moisture that is bound within the cell walls. In other words when all the wood is below fiber saturation, ~25%, I believe you are safe from stain and decay. If that is the case I'll make another leap and say that if you crosscut a section and do not see a damp core, fiber saturation, you are below that critical moisture content.

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

Fungi can live on about 22% MC or wetter.  This is a little below fiber saturation which is around 30% MC, so fungi do not need lots of liquid.

When you say"about 18% MC," do you mean the average or the core?  If the average is 18% MC, we can still have cores that are wet enough to support limited fungal growth in pine.  On the other hand, if there is no fungi in or on the lumber now, it is virtually impossible for fungi in the air to find a slightly wet core, as they would have to go through dry wood to get there.

Of course, dead stacking will not control warp if the wood dries further. 

Dead stacking does not limit insect damage, if the insects are already there.

The advantage that many mills have is that when drying to 19% MC or below, the lumber is coming from a heated kiln that was over 150 F, so the wood is sterilized when tight packed.  That is why large lumber yards can handle tight packs without concern, except warp...and springing pieces when they cut the bundle's straps or bands.
Gene - Author of articles in Sawmill & Woodlot and books: Drying Hardwood Lumber; VA Tech Solar Kiln; Sawing Edging & Trimming Hardwood Lumber. And more

Thank You Sponsors!