iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

VIRUS!

Started by Jeff, June 13, 2003, 02:50:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff

If anybody gets an email from me today DO NOT OPEN IT OR ATTACHMENTS!!

I had my gaurd down and got the bugbear virus from timbermens. I opened the files they sent me without scanning cause I was in a hurry. I have emailed no one today so if you got something from me  DELETE IT!!  I am working now to clean my system. it one of the bugbear viruses
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

biziedizie

Jeff I just got something from a guy called Paul C Smith. Is this the guy you were talking to that sent the bug?

Steve

Jeff

That is the message the virus picked out of my mailbox. Its from me not paul smith. delete it and no way should you open the attachment.

What time did you get the email?  Also, its not sending and cant send from the forum, its sending from my personal email.

biziedizie

It's gone but I wish the virus thing would have caught it.
  The mail came in between 1:00 and 2:00 while I was out.
  It came from Paul C and not from you so that's a bit odd. ???

Steve

KiwiCharlie

I got one from a GeorgeWLogger.  I know they can change names etc, so I deleted it to be on the safe side.  Time said 7:46, but not sure whos time zone!
Charlie.
Walk tall and carry a big Stihl.

Ron Wenrich

Paul Smith came into mine at 1:17 PM.  I couldn't open the attachment anyways.  Guess I'm safe.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

ohsoloco

I was just coming on here to start a thread about this virus.  Mine came from Paul Smith at 1:13 today.  My anti-virus software caught it and quarantined the bugbear virus.  What does this virus do?  

The subject of the email said "let me introduce myself."  This is the message I got:

The Timber Buyers Network wrote:

> Good to hear from you!
> I am very busy with new web accounts. Hope to hear from you more often!
> Jeff...

Hey, I looked through my inbox and I think it may have been your turn to write- unless I missed one of those corupt messages again. What the heck- I'll keep in touch more often.

Paul

Jeff, I wonder if "Jeff" was referring to you (Jeff B), or me (Jeff C)?   Was anyone else's email "personalized"?

Jeff

Its referring to me. That is a message between an artist friend and myself. He has nothing to do with it. It picked it up out of my email at random.  I have gotten rid of the virus. There should be no more sent. You could of course still get one if you had not checked your mail.

Just delete anything from Jeff or Paul Smith for the next couple days. I will not send anything without warning you first.

Jeff

I want to reiterate, this has NOTHING to do with the forum. Its completely my personal email.

biziedizie

I'm just glad it didn't say in the subject line "Hot looking babe check att" Or O would have opened it. :D

Steve

Jeff

Sorry bub, it aint goona find nothin on my puter to send to ya like that. :)

Tom

I got three different versions and studied them awhile because they looked so real.  The kicker was that the "To" field on the email was blank.  I haven't figured that one out but it wasn't right.  I blocked the sender which also erased the email.  It had reference to timbermans but I didn't see an address.  I may have just blocked Jeff  :D  Whoops.......didn't mean to do that.   My virus detection never caught it but then I didn't try to open the attachment either. :P

Haytrader

I got the very same one as Ohso.
Haytrader

Jeff

Anybody that was in my address book probably got one. I have the bug stomped now!
I'm usually pretty danG careful when it comes to attachments. This time I just screwed up trying to save a few seconds. I get a massive amount of email because of all my web work and deal with viruses everyday. I'll bet I get at least 3 to 4 infected emails daily.

BW_Williams

Recieved it here also, Jeff.  McAfee blocked the attachment, so thats good.  Good luck.  BWW
Support your local Volunteer Fire Dept.  (not by accident)
Support your local Ski Patrol (by snowboarding:)
Mayor of Millerdale, Washington, USA (by God)!

ohsoloco

Norton Anti-virus auto protect  8)

Checks all my incoming (and outgoing) emails.  I'm glad my brother was smart enough to set it up  ::)

jwood

i recieced one from paul smith on 6-13 around 2 pm...my isp sent me a msg that they had deleted the attch. because of bug bear...

CHARLIE

I received it on Friday the 13th also, but my Norton AntiVirus caught it.  It pays to have an AntiVirus program loaded on your computer and it REALLY pays to keep it updated. 8)
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

Jeff

I had mine disabled in order to use the additional available RAM for the graphics program I was working on. STUPID!!  My software auto-updates everyday but it does no good when its shut off.

Thank You Sponsors!