iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

I forwarded this to all Stihl owners 😂

Started by BargeMonkey, August 23, 2018, 09:03:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

olcowhand

Well, time for my confession. That wasn't me (I only have 4 or 5 wedges and I don't wear highwater chaps), but I had to unbolt my bar once while felling (falling?) a large pine. I wasn't quick enough with the wedges, and I didn't want anything bad to happen to my Power Head when I used my back up saw to finish to tree. Only my saw was facing the other way (I don't have a wrap handle), my cut was almost in the dirt, and I had a dickens of a time getting my scrench in there to undo the nuts.
My back up went in slightly above my existing back cut, tapped a couple wedges in this time, and the tree fell just like the original plan. No harm to the bar or chain, but I wonder about the bar if the same thing happened to me on a large maple or beech, especially if the tree would twist during the fall.
So I don't make any judgment of the pic's validity or the Operator's intelligence, I just see some future "Me", if I hadn't learned that time.....
And yes, I run Stihls (that's why I removed the Power Head)! :D
Olcowhand's Workshop, LLC

They say the mind is the first to go; I'm glad it's something I don't use!

Ezekiel 36:26-27

quilbilly

I think this looks staged. Also i have often put in a back cut first then the face when wedging a small tree over.
I think of this wasn't staged he would get out some of the other wedges and stack em up. Also his tree isn't that big, a few wedges should do and if they wouldn't it would have been real easy to tell beforehand
a man is strongest on his knees

John Mc

Quote from: petefrom bearswamp on August 24, 2018, 08:42:01 AM
As for chaps, ours are high water too, Labonville which I ordered by inseam length as I buy trousers, but labonville measures from the waist evidently.
I think all chaps manufacturers measure from the belt line.  (Chainsaw pants are sold by inseam.)
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

baronthered

Wow. I'm not going to judge but that is definitely interesting. Even though he has multiple bars stuck he could get some (compound? ) or multiple wedging type of thing going.  I definitely would use a jack or a Samson rope on it if it was leaning that bad. Not in his shoes so he was probably running what he brung.
Life's short make fun of it!

mike_belben

Id slingshot a throwbag and tracer line up then feed a bull line and come-along it off another tree.  
Praise The Lord

Skeans1

That might work for your guys hardwoods but with our firs it's not possible to shoot a line with the way the limbs over lap. That's typically why you see us jacking out here and our ground doesn't always allow a cat to get down to the tree either.

BargeMonkey

I just kind of shook my head at the picture. I've pulled a powerhead more times than I can count, crushed an almost new 395 cutting in the wind, ran over a 365, if you havent been jammed up you havent cut much wood. Just something about that picture makes me shake my head, and who carrys that many wedges and extra bars to the woods ? 

Maine logger88

I don't even own half that many wedges! Barge you are right everyone pinches saws! That 365 you ran over is now on a chainsaw winch it's pulled quite a few moose out of the brush lol!
79 TJ 225 81 JD 540B Husky and Jonsered saws

ehp

Barge, I was trying to cut firewood blocks with the tree standing to keep them clean , each block is the same length so I did a good job , see up here in Kanada we do things abit different :D

John Mc

It does not appear any wedges but the bottom ones actually did any lifting. The others appear to just be holding the kerf open. I have to wonder why he did not drive them in to tip the tree a bit. I also have to wonder why he did not bother with making a notch, but maybe I just can't see it in this picture.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

teakwood

Quote from: Stuart Caruk on August 24, 2018, 03:49:33 PMYou guys are too quick to judge. Looks like something my neighbor would have done, then realized he'd screwed up,then comes over for help before he kills himself. The guy in chaps could have been the friend he asked for help, who just had to take a photo while figuring out how to solve the mess. After all, wouldn't you?

You are absolutely right, should have called him a morron. we have all done stupid things in the woods, it's a learning curve.

and as Barge said: 
Quote from: BargeMonkey on August 24, 2018, 10:42:27 PMif you havent been jammed up you havent cut much wood.
thats also very true
National Stihl Timbersports Champion Costa Rica 2018

John Mc

It's not the getting jammed up that has me wondering. It's the (apparent?) attempts to get out of it.

I've done equally ineffective things, but if I've done them 3 times in a row, I must be blocking the memory.

Ed_K

Nobody has considered that the tree may be rotten inside and only an inch or so is good wood?
Ed K

mike_belben

I speculate that the middle kerf was the first cut.  It only has one wedge that is jammed shut and likely wont go in any further, looks like its mushing the wood around it and wont budge the kerf.  Bar only went half way..either theres a cable or excavator pulling on this thing for a gag pic or it has some serious weight going to 7oclock.

With that much gear we can assume this is a tree service, not a logger.  A logger would have started with a bottom cut to maximize buttlog footage, but would kept it high enough to keep the sprocket out of the dirt and run powerhead all the way around.  Look left, the cut goes into the hill.  In my opinion this is the final effort to switch the lean from the strongest lift point (stump wont blow out like a block) then finish it off from one of the higher cuts.  I think hes just taking a break and thinking it thru.  Good chance it grew toward the clearing of a house, powerline or whatever and he misjudged the top weight.  

I was a self taught urban arborist for a while and got myself into lots of these jams. I got a bucket of wedges. Sawed off the head of a maul once in the heat of the moment to get enough lift before the wind took'r
Praise The Lord

mills

Humph! >:( Nobody's addressing Barge's little dig to us Stihl guys.

I bet I could have screwed up with just as good with a Husky.  ;D ;D

I don't know... not sure that I could have even done that.  :D

killamplanes

Moral of the story. Bring more wedges and bars with you next time. :laugh:
jd440 skidder, western star w/grapple,tk B-20 hyd, electric, stihl660,and 2X661. and other support Equipment, pallet manufacturing line

Logger RK

I wonder,since it's a Stihl,them first 2 bars just snapped off the power head when they started to pinch? And then he only opened it up 1/4 throttle on the last cut & pinched it? 

BargeMonkey

Quote from: mills on August 25, 2018, 05:37:45 PM
Humph! >:( Nobody's addressing Barge's little dig to us Stihl guys.

I bet I could have screwed up with just as good with a Husky.  ;D ;D

I don't know... not sure that I could have even done that.  :D
Im embarrassed to admit I own 1 Stihl but it was FREE and left at my sawmill door like an orphan, 6 chains included all used 1x with a busted recoil cord in a handy carry case. 🤣  We did a job yrs ago for this Korean camp, they would buy 4-6x new Poulans at home depot on the way up from NYC and they would be toast by Sunday night, I think the pile of saws still lays there, had to be 50+ of them. 

62oliver

Husqvarna 266, Case 90xt, JD310C, TJ240E, 02 Duramax

loggerman1959

Maybe logging is not a good career choice for this man ...

Lumberjohn

Quote from: BargeMonkey on August 26, 2018, 02:50:38 AM
Quote from: mills on August 25, 2018, 05:37:45 PM
Humph! >:( Nobody's addressing Barge's little dig to us Stihl guys.

I bet I could have screwed up with just as good with a Husky.  ;D ;D

I don't know... not sure that I could have even done that.  :D
Im embarrassed to admit I own 1 Stihl but it was FREE and left at my sawmill door like an orphan, 6 chains included all used 1x with a busted recoil cord in a handy carry case. 🤣  We did a job yrs ago for this Korean camp, they would buy 4-6x new Poulans at home depot on the way up from NYC and they would be toast by Sunday night, I think the pile of saws still lays there, had to be 50+ of them.
It was probably tossed out like Larry Moe and Curly at the orphanage in the movie. I don't know whats going on in that picture, but think about it, the more cuts you make above the main cut is gonna make the tree lean back more unless you follow up correctly with wedges. Another thing, how can a wedge not work unless like someone else said, rotten wood?

mike_belben

Once or twice ive tried to change lean with wedges and just couldnt.  It was like hammering on a steel beam, nothing budged.  

I really wish this guy was here to tell the story.  Theres a good lesson to be learned in it.  Ill bet he got it down safely. 
Praise The Lord

petefrom bearswamp

Cut my pinched Echo cs600p out of a Hemlock with my smaller saw.
In too much of a hurry to take the power head off.
Nicked a hole in the gas tank.
7 years and 2 applications of JB quickweld later the Echo is still happy, but I aint.
Impatience and stupidity sometimes rule my better judgement.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

teakwood

Quote from: petefrom bearswamp on August 29, 2018, 11:55:20 AMImpatience and stupidity sometimes rule my better judgement.

I think that goes for a lot of us, including me!
National Stihl Timbersports Champion Costa Rica 2018

Thank You Sponsors!