iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

new guy here

Started by bluffman2, August 27, 2014, 04:21:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

I just got off of the phone with Stephen.  Who knows, we just might can make this work.   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

beenthere

Some more "magic".   8)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

bluffman2

Magic man  8)    Thank you sir. I will be in touch!

woodNthings

Welcome to the forum!
I admire your efforts, and encourage you to carry out this project.
I am located in Saraland Alabama, about 60 miles away and offer a sawing service similar to Magic Man.
He however, has far more experience and is a mentor of mine on this site. ;D
I would not try to take any work from MM, but feel free to contact me.
'10 WM LT33 Hyd.
'80s Case rough terrain forklift
'54 Farmall Super A
'01 Duramax

bluffman2

Holy hell I just noticed magic man had over 20 k post.   How in the heck could he ever have time to get to my logs  :D  ;D

Magicman

QuoteI would not try to take any work from MM
That would be the least of my concern.  Whatever is best for the customer (Stephen) is best for everyone.  60 miles is much better than 200.  ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

bluffman2

Quote from: Magicman on August 29, 2014, 10:13:52 PM
QuoteI would not try to take any work from MM
That would be the least of my concern.  Whatever is best for the customer (Stephen) is best for everyone.  60 miles is much better than 200.  ;D

That's respect right there!  Thank you! 

bluffman2

Bride to be is liking the looks of rough cut wood for the walls, question I ask and I know this isn't a home building forum, but can rough cut (let's say 1x4 or 6) be used for walls without being tongue and groove?

beenthere

Certainly, if the space between boards is okay. As the boards shrink (likely), the gap will get bigger. If the wall behind the boards is a light color then the space/gap may be more noticeable. Just paint it black before paneling the wall.

Tongue and groove will leave a gap too, but still be looking at the wood tongue.

Many don't like the rough cut because of dust collection and difficulty to clean.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

bluffman2

Will the wood shrink even after it has been dried??

Magicman

First, I planed all of my wall paneling.  Actual "rough" seems nice, but over a period of time dust, lint, or whatever else will attach itself to the rough paneling.

I had "Major" to kiln my wall and floor lumber.  Hindsight said that I should have paid up and had him to do the planeing and T&G.  Neither the walls nor the flooring has shrunk to where the tongues are showing. 

I have installed flooring as well as wall boards without T&G.  It is OK, but I would not.  There is a much better/worse chance of air transfer/intrusion.  :-\

Here is our ceiling done with Poplar T&G/V Groove.  It has the same whitewash pickling stain as the Cabin walls.

beenthere

Quote from: bluffman2 on August 30, 2014, 04:08:36 PM

Wood will shrink and will swell with any changes in relative humidity. If the RH can be held constant, then the wood should also hold it size.  However, that isn't very likely to happen.
The shrinkage may not be huge, and may not be a problem.
Just that if you don't account for it happening, the results may not be what your bride will be happy with... and we have a good idea where that goes..... ;D
south central Wisconsin

bluffman2

Quote from: beenthere on August 30, 2014, 05:43:32 PM
Quote from: bluffman2 on August 30, 2014, 04:08:36 PM

Wood will shrink and will swell with any changes in relative humidity. If the RH can be held constant, then the wood should also hold it size.  However, that isn't very likely to happen.
The shrinkage may not be huge, and may not be a problem.
Just that if you don't account for it happening, the results may not be what your bride will be happy with... and we have a good idea where that goes..... ;D

Lmao

bluffman2

Quote from: Magicman on August 30, 2014, 04:41:14 PM
First, I planed all of my wall paneling.  Actual "rough" seems nice, but over a period of time dust, lint, or whatever else will attach itself to the rough paneling.

I had "Major" to kiln my wall and floor lumber.  Hindsight said that I should have paid up and had him to do the planeing and T&G.  Neither the walls nor the flooring has shrunk to where the tongues are showing. 

I have installed flooring as well as wall boards without T&G.  It is OK, but I would not.  There is a much better/worse chance of air transfer/intrusion.  :-\

Here is our ceiling done with Poplar T&G/V Groove.  It has the same whitewash pickling stain as the Cabin walls.

She said we can just hire you to do all the wood work!  8)

Magicman

Thanks for the compliment, but I just sorta waddle my way through my projects, and "She" is the only one that I have to please.  ;D 

bluffman2

Quote from: Magicman on August 30, 2014, 08:34:36 PM
Thanks for the compliment, but I just sorta waddle my way through my projects, and "She" is the only one that I have to please.  ;D

She likes waddling smiley_flipping smiley_flipping smiley_flipping smiley_flipping smiley_flipping smiley_flipping smiley_flipping smiley_flipping smiley_flipping smiley_clapping smiley_clapping smiley_clapping :o

Thank You Sponsors!