iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Price for ash logs KY, OH, WV ?

Started by Warren, February 12, 2006, 07:03:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Warren

Ran into a neighbor who does construction work this afternoon.  His firm is getting ready to clear a site that has a number of standing ash trees 18" to 30" dbh.  He asked if I would be interested in the logs, rather than burning ?  Duhhhh...  I told him I would be very interested if he could deliver.  He's going to talk to the job boss to see if they would let him saw and skid before everything is dozed into a pile and burnt.

If he gets the go ahead, I need to get an idea of what price would be fair both ways ?  Would like to know what are other sawyers in the Eastern KY, Southern OH, western WV areas are paying for reasonable ash saw logs delivered to the mill ?

Obviously I don't want to pay anymore than necessary.  But I do want to be fair.

All help appreciated.

Warren
LT40SHD42, Case 1845C,  Baker Edger ...  And still not near enough time in the day ...

sjh

My personal opinion only. I would give the boss just enough to satisfy him. I assume he will be the money winner since they will just be burned.

WH_Conley

Warren, if you can get logd at that price let me know, beats wagon beames. ;D
Bill

woodnut

Warren, we just trimmed out a small house with ash. Turned out beautiful.  I'd  see if you could pay him in boards off the ash.

Kelvin

UP here in ash borer country, michigan, people have to pay to dump ash logs on contractors the state has given the job to.  However, if you want those logs, that you have to pay to dump, before they are chipped for biomass, you have to pay!  How much to pay for logs that are valueless, and another guy holds the keys to them, is a pain in my butt.  I can't stand paying for something that would otherwise be trash.  Like you said, if you don't buy them, they are gonna burn them.  So, they have no value, hence a respectable person would let you have them for the cost of what you need of them to move them around the site, or not much cause it takes a lot of time for someone to watch a burn pile, and they have to move them there anyways! 
Since the ash borer got going ash really has low marketable value.  Local mills appartently are turning logs away do to large supply, and low demand.  The stuff is great wood, wish i could intercept some of the stuff they are chipping for the biomass burner.

Skip

Avg price according to WV timber mrkt report is $161-201 m/bf

Warren

All,
Thanks for the input.

Skip,
Thanks for the specifics.  I was thinking ball park 250 / mbf.  I may scale that back a little.

Warren
LT40SHD42, Case 1845C,  Baker Edger ...  And still not near enough time in the day ...

Thank You Sponsors!