iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Home shop torches

Started by Jeff, March 19, 2018, 07:55:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

69bronco

Your gonna wonder how you ever got along without em!

Kbeitz

You can all guess where I got mine...
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

garyfg

I have tanks that size, $70.00 acx $30.00  oxygen exchange

Jeff

Well, if the gas is worth $100  that brings the price of the torches and cart and tank to $350.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Dave Shepard

That would be at least $140 and $40 to fill plus $180/year for tank leases here. 
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Al_Smith

That size tanks are normally owned tanks ,at least in these parts .No lease payments and they are around 100 bucks to fill them .Next size up are leased tanks --at least in this locality .

Al_Smith

I might add I have two sets of that size in the picture and one set of the larger .I haven't filled the big ones in years so I have no idea what it would cost .
The smaller tanks will last a long time under normal conditions if you don't forget to shut off the bottle valves after you are done using them .I haven't on several occasions and there you are the gas leaks out .Never trust the torch to completely shut off the gas .A word to the wise no more no less .

Magicman

Congrats on the torch setup.  I was taught to always shut the tanks off and bleed the hoses.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Jeff

mike_belben

Smith torches with "lifetime" embossed into the handle are truly lifetime warranty no matter if you got them new or used.  I have sent 2 in for a rebuild, only cost shipping.  

Beware, not all say lifetime on them. Be sure they do.  
Praise The Lord

Jeff

mike_belben

just info for other members, not directed specifically at you jeff.
Praise The Lord

scsmith42

Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

Jeff

A little heat is magic!  I've struggled all week trying to get a through frame leaf spring bushing and shackle off. The first thing ever that bluecreeper could not help me with.  5 minutes of heat this morning and the impact finally reeled the long nut out of the frame and off the shackle.  YEA!

Corley5

I've got a set of Smith torches that belonged to my Grandpa Whittaker.  I while back I needed a tip and found out they were obsolete and no longer available from Smith.  I called Smith and told them what I had and they were going to replace them until I told them Grandpa had passed away.  The warranty is only lifetime to the original purchaser.  Even when I told them it was Grandma who actually purchased them and at that time she was still alive.   I've since found a place to buy those tips but haven't because they're $85.00.  I need to buy one just to have it.  My Smith gauges are now equipped with a Victor torch handle.
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Magicman

Quote from: Jeff on March 30, 2018, 11:00:33 AMA little heat is magic!
And I was not even there.  Musta been a strong Southerly air flow.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

coxy

did you get a rose bud with them   i will never forget the time i blew my rose bud up didn't have the pressure set right wow what a bang   that was a good buy the gages are 200 a piece around here i just paid 90 for a gage for my mig  after a temper tantrum with a wrench 

Al_Smith

After they get so old it can sometimes becomes a challenge to find parts .Not to worry there's always flea bay .I'd say my old set of Airco torches are at least 70 years old ..I needed some larger welding tips .No problem,size 9-10 and 11, 20 bucks .Size 00 10 bucks .The double 00 was  what I used to gas weld two tin cans together  to show some big mouth in California I could  do it  8)There's a trick to every thing .No pressure showing on the gauges .Only a slight sound of the gas,tie wire for a filler .My dear old departed dad showed me that when I was about 15 years old .He could burn a rusty nut off a bolt and never hit the threads and could still do it at 80 years old .

mike_belben

I worked at a diesel shop for a bit and salt water exposed npt plugs were the worst.  Best torch trick i learned, that most people do wrong, is heat the bolt head direct until just shy of lava orange then quit.  Soon as the color fades, hit it with the impact.  This is the moment when the very expanded bolt has just given its heat to the metal surrounding it which makes the hole expand and bolt shrink for just a few seconds before they all equalize.  It amazed me what could be removed with a torch.  

I later worked at a junkyard and burned a whole lotta oxy/propane.   
Praise The Lord

Dave Shepard

Don't stop there, quench the bolt with a hose. It'll be finger loose. 
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Thank You Sponsors!