iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Help with backyard grass?

Started by ReggieT, March 21, 2018, 09:38:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ReggieT

Hey guys,

I live in Birmingham, AL and I have about 30% shade in my backyard.
I have tried a number grasses including heat resistant fescue and grass designed for shady areas specifically.
The results have all been the same, looks good healthy and green yet when the heat & humidity of late May and the summer months come in they wither up and die!
I'm not ready to invest in high dollar Zoysia or sodding bermuda just yet.
I see this certain fescue looking grass thriving on the sides of our highways in extreme heat all summer long. 
I have considered double seeding bermuda or perhaps pasture fescue that farmers use for their cattle. Maybe even clover?

Any thoughts or recommendations?

Thanks, 
Reg

Southside

Fescue is a cool season grass, does not matter what variety - K31, Creeping Red, etc.  When the heat comes on the fescue goes dormant.  Clover is also a cool season legume, sweet yellow clover being the exception but that won't do well for a lawn.  Red clover will last longer in the heat - maybe until around June over your way.   Coastal Bermuda would work well down your way in the heat, but it loves nitrogen.  I suspect what you are seeing along the highway is actually Weeping Love Grass, if it looks like it grows in clumps.  Love grass is a bunch grass that is heat and drought tolerant and will grow in poor soils.  The other option is the dreaded Johnson Grass - which by the way I absolutely love.  Technically a warm season grass but I call it a "long season grass".  It will grow around here from mid April until the frost kills it, and the stuff will grow 8' tall if it's not cut back.  Drought and shade tolerant.  The more you cut or in my case graze it back, the more leafy it becomes as the season progresses.  

With any of these giving them some water when it turns warm will help a lot, also aerating your soil so that water, oxygen, and roots can penetrate what is often hard packed makes a big difference.  

We operate a grazing dairy when the wood is not keeping me occupied so I guess that makes me a grass nerd.  I know it bugs my wife when I am walking along and getting excited about vetch, brome, and otherwise watching the grass grow.  

Hope this helps.       
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

thecfarm

What kind of trees you have in your backyard? Those may not be helping the grass.
Water helps.
I have 2 big red oak trees in my backyard. I put the water to the grass. It does seem to help. And I live in Maine.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Raider Bill

Will bahia grass grow there? It is very heat tolerant. Another kind we have is St Augustine but I don't think that will take the cold.
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.
My advice on aging gracefully... ride fast bikes and date faster women, drink good tequila, practice your draw daily, be honest and fair in your dealings, but suffer not fools. Eat a hearty breakfast, and remember, ALL politicians are crooks.

gspren

Most years by June I wish my yard would die back or at least stop growing.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

bags

Soil test--- wont grow if it doesn't get what it needs.

SawyerTed

+1 on the soil test.  Also what time of year are you sowing your grass?  It will do best if sown in the fall early enough to get established.  If sown in the spring it likely wont survive the heat.  
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

Magicman

St. Augustine is our "go to" here.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Jeff

We had the same issues here in the north. Heavy shade and the gross died out in summer. The secret? WATER. My son put an irrigation system in for us over the course of 3 father's days. Fertilize 3 times a year and grass problems are gone. Even the pig roasts don't wipe it out anymore, and man, it use to.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Magicman

Maybe that is because you don't have to worry about fertilizer @Jeff because a buncha "bull gets shot" at the Pig Roast.  At times I have seen it knee deep.   :o
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Raider Bill

I put in a fertilizer system for my sprinklers. Its simply a 35 gallon barrel hosed into the suction side of the pump.
I mix up 2 lbs of miracle grow or a qt of fish emulsion in the 35 gallons and run that mix through the sprinklers every so often generally once a month.
My advice on aging gracefully... ride fast bikes and date faster women, drink good tequila, practice your draw daily, be honest and fair in your dealings, but suffer not fools. Eat a hearty breakfast, and remember, ALL politicians are crooks.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

See if you can find a grass called Orchard Grass. It loves shade.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

caveman

There are several varieties of St. Augustine grass.  Some are quite tolerant of shade.  Of the turf grasses in Florida, St. Augustine is the most shade tolerant, Bermuda is the most shade intolerant and Bahia, Zoyzia, and Centepede fall in between the two.  Based on the hardiness zone maps, most of these should grow in Alabama.  St. Augustine does require some maintenance, lots of water and chinch bugs like it.
Caveman

ReggieT

Hmm...this is proving to be kinda daunting! :'(

ReggieT

Looks like Centipede may be a good choice...gotta do more research though. 

pineywoods

Stay away from bahai. Dang stuff is like trying to mow rope..
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Raider Bill

Quote from: pineywoods on March 23, 2018, 10:46:09 AM
Stay away from bahai. Dang stuff is like trying to mow rope..
Roger that! You need sharp blades.

ReggieT

That's ironic you mentioned Bahia...I was considering that.
I was considering that as well...perhaps even the Zoysia that does well from seed.
Basically I just want decent greenery and coverage in the backyard with minimum maintenance...

Southside

You could always go the Kudzu and goat route.   :D
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Magicman

Bahia ain't minimum maintenance for backyard grass unless you have Goats.  :o

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Magicman on March 23, 2018, 09:24:25 PM
Bahia ain't minimum maintenance for backyard grass unless you have Goats.  :o
The mow you plant, the mow we mow.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

WV Sawmiller

I grew up in N. Fla a couple hundred miles south of you. St Augustine was the most shade tolerant on our place and we had many types because we had a monument business and any time we cleaned off a lot to put chips down we brought the grass home and put in a low spot. Bahia seemed to put a 9" seed head out about every 3 days and always looked ragged. I always remembered centipede as a high sun grass and I don't think it does well in the shade. Zoysia grass was very thick and beautiful grass but I don't remember growing it in the shade. Good luck.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

james

well... 
you could always try... 

concrete and green paint!!!
james ;D ;D

ReggieT

Hmm...kudzu the only grass I know worse than Johnson grass! smiley_dunce

ReggieT

Here is the Auburn Soil Test:

Thank You Sponsors!