iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Another great CraigsList find

Started by Ljohnsaw, May 14, 2016, 11:56:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ljohnsaw

My daughter thinks I have special powers.  I think about what I want or need and it shows up on CL for free :D

Up at my cabin, I have a solar powered water well that pumps into a tank.  From there, when the cabin is done, an RV pump will supply the cabin.  The tank is high enough that it gravity feeds the toilet in my shower house I built last year.  I have to run the pump in the shower house for the shower and sink, however.

I've been wanting a gas powered pump to mount on a little trailer with water barrels so I can have some water pressure for concrete cleanup and ready water for burn piles and such.  So, today a old gas powered pump shows up for free about 5 miles from my house.

Its was a little dirty.  It had a light coat of white paint mist like it was sitting somewhere close to a building being painted.  I pulled the air filter off and it was totally clean inside.  The gas tank was dry, no rust with a little bit of dust (old sediment).  I check the oil and it is brand new.  The plug was used but in good shape.  I started to push off the oil soaked dust and was amazed at the condition.  I recognized the kind of puke green paint.

It has a little Briggs & Stratton 2 hp mated to a small pump.  It is an old Sears product.

I'm pretty sure it hasn't been started since it got "painted".  There is paint on the head fins that should have cooked off if was running.  Anyhow, I gave it some fresh gas and tried to start it.  No go - I think the intake valve is stuck open a little.  I can feel both vacuum and pressure when I turn it over.  I'll pull the head and have a look tomorrow.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Roxie

You do have special powers.   :)
Say when

Chuck White

~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

sawguy21

Stuck intake valve is very common for air cooled engines in that application.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Magicman

Looks like your "need" and "find" stars may have aligned.   8)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Ljohnsaw

Quote from: sawguy21 on May 15, 2016, 12:37:58 PM
Stuck intake valve is very common for air cooled engines in that application.
I'm hoping, I figure this has probably been sitting for many years.  Had that issue on my 16hp Kohler that I know was sitting for 7+ years.  Fingers crossed.
John Sawicky

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

scgargoyle

Everyone should have a super power, and yours is one I can relate to! Half of the things in our house seemingly came from craigs or ebay. :D
I hope my ship comes in before the dock rots!

sandhills

Might not hurt to pull the flywheel and clean up the magneto also, I've found that to help a lot with small engines that have sat a long time.

Ljohnsaw

Quote from: sandhills on May 16, 2016, 12:34:59 PM
Might not hurt to pull the flywheel and clean up the magneto also, I've found that to help a lot with small engines that have sat a long time.
What's to clean on the mag?  Spiderwebs?  It has spark - seems like enough.  At first, I pulled the plug and had the wire hooked to it.  Pulled the starter rope but nothing - not a good ground.  So I held the wire so the threads of the plug were on the head good.  Pulled the rope and the spark plug wire was leaking a bit :o
John Sawicky

sandhills

I was talking mostly rust on everything and checking measurements, if yours has good spark it probably won't help much though.

Ljohnsaw

I need to pick @Kbeitz brain since he has one of everything in his collections :D

No go.  I changed the plug to one from a running 2hp B&S.  Seems like way more spark - a scary amount!  So, spark is good (outside the head).  I am concerned that when I place the palm of my hand over the intake and pull the rope, I feel alternating suction AND pressure.  That is why I was thinking the intake is stuck open.  So I pulled the head.  This engine has definitely ran in the past.  A bit of carbon buildup.  Light rusty around the exhaust and black around the intake and combustion chamber.  Nothing major and not oil soaked.  So I cleaned all that off.  What I noticed is the action of the intake valve.  Maybe this is normal but I don't see how it could work.  The valve open quite wide for the intake stroke and closes ALMOST completely at the bottom of the stroke.  It is very slightly open (enough so I can rotate the valve) until the piston is about 1/2" from top of stroke.  It is fully seated for that last 1/2" or so.  I don't see how that could give much compression.  That is, unless this engine has a compression release but that seems strange for such a small engine.  I tried squirting some carb cleaner in the intake to see if it would fire. Nope.  My neighbor brought over his starting fluid and shot a good dose in the spark plug hole.  We pulled and pulled but not a pop.  Ideas?
John Sawicky

Kbeitz

I've seen this happen a few times in my lifetime.
If the engine was run hot the valve stem can stretch.
The only fix is to remove the valve and replace or
just grind off the amount needed to get it closed again.
You can google "valve stem stretch" and see that other
people have this problem to. I myself just grind a little
off the valve or the lifter so it closes again.

Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Ljohnsaw

Kbeitz,
Now there is a controversial topic!  I can pull the intake valve without popping the case so I'll give it a little grind and see what happens.  Still a puzzle as to why I can't get a little pop, though.
Thanks for the idea.
John Sawicky

pineywoods

The valve stems will stretch from excessive heat, but more likely the valve seat is corroded away from running un-leaded fuel. Grinding off the end of the valve stem to adjust is nothing new. Henry Ford's flathead V8 was like that, no adjustments in the valve train...
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Ljohnsaw

Spent an hour or so and got it running.  I looked up the specs on the valves and read a little on how you are supposed to take it apart and such.  They recommend pulling the carb and muffler off to make things easy.  Well, when I pulled the muffler off, I found the exhaust port PACKED with cut leaves and the muffler packed with mud.  Stupid mud daubers!  Cleaned all of that out and checked the valve clearance.  Exhaust was good and the intake was about .002 - should be between .005 and .007.  So I pulled it and ground it down and ended up at .010.  Oh well, that will give it room to grow.  I pulled the exhaust valve as well to clean it up and get the rest of the leaves out of the port.  Put it back together and it fired right up!

So on to the pump.  There was a rubber check valve of sorts that was deformed and stiff so I pulled that and made a new one.  Also washed out a lot of rust powder, dirt and dead bugs.  I filled a 5 quart bucket with water and stuck the pickup pipe into it.  I primed the pump, fired it up and nothing (for about 3 seconds).  As I was walking around to see if I could tip it or lift the bucket to help it pull the water, it started pumping and just caught me with the water stream on my side.  Emptied the bucket in about 2 seconds!  This will work great up at the cabin project.
John Sawicky

Onthesauk

Sweet!  And the price was right!
John Deere 3038E
Sukuki LT-F500

Don't attribute irritating behavior to malevolence when mere stupidity will suffice as an explanation.

Ljohnsaw

Yep!  All I spent on it was my time. 

Next up is to make a pickup manifold to hook to a pair of 55 gallon drums.  Need to get a 1" pvc ball valve and a couple unions so I can disconnect it.  Then add a hose reel and it will be ready to go up to my property.
John Sawicky

Magicman

Congrats on your pump success.  Now back to bigger and better things.   8)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Ljohnsaw

I decided to "palletize" my pump.  I had a stack of various plastic pallets (so it will never rot out) to choose from.  I needed a hose reel (plastic ones show up on occasion on CL) but wanted something a little more sturdy.  Walked into Goodwill and there it was.  Brand new steel RainBird reel with 75' of 1" hose (green) and about 8' of hookup hose(red).  I found a 1½" ball valve in my stash of junk supplies.  I added another 75' of ¾" contractor's rubber hose.  Should be enough to get everywhere on my foundation when I need to wet it before the pour next week.

It can move a lot of water if no back pressure (10-15 gpm) and with a little jet stream, probably builds up to 40 or 50 psi.  Just need to put a strap or two on the tank and good to go!
John Sawicky

Ljohnsaw

(Almost) a final update:

I filled the water barrel about half way and tested everything.  Worked great.  Ran the fuel tank dry.

On Tuesday, took it up to the property.  Spent the better part of the day finishing up little details to get ready for the pour (next Wednesday!).  Took the palleted pump down to where I could gravity fill it from my holding tank.  Filled up the gas tank.  Gave it a pull - nothing.  Choked it - nothing but a few pop-pops.  Too sunny out to see if there was still a spark.  Pulled the pump off and took it home.  I thought maybe had something to do with the altitude or I sucked some dirt into the carb, but same pop-pop and nothing.  Checked for spark - nothing!??!  Pulled the flywheel to check the points - figured maybe the condenser gave out or something.  Go to check the gap and NO GAP!  The points didn't even move at all.  Everything was tight so I loosened the condenser and moved it down far.  Then cam was doing what it is supposed to do.  Reset the gap and it runs great again.  I'm at a loss as to how it could have closed up the points?  I guess it was just marginal before, but this is strange.  The condenser looked ok but in hindsight, maybe it swelled a little pushing the contact up into the points?  The points were not pitted so I assumed the condenser was good.

Now I need to take it back up the hill and test it before I need it on Wednesday.
John Sawicky

easymoney

did you put a little grease on the crankshaft where the points ride? if the crank is dry the points can close up from the contact point wearing.

r.man

I have seen one that had the cam lobe either broken or wore round. I put an electronic ignition kit on it, ran fine.
Life is too short or my list is too long, not sure which. Dec 2014

Ljohnsaw

Quote from: easymoney on June 03, 2016, 11:02:35 AM
did you put a little grease on the crankshaft where the points ride? if the crank is dry the points can close up from the contact point wearing.

I didn't add any (doh!) but it was greasy looking.  There is a square push rod of sorts that contacts the cam down a hole.  The points ride on top of that.  This is a really old B&S - I used to repair lawnmowers as a kid, eons ago, and never saw a B&S like this one.

It is running great now so we'll see how long that lasts.

Quote from: r.man on June 03, 2016, 12:02:28 PM
I have seen one that had the cam lobe either broken or wore round. I put an electronic ignition kit on it, ran fine.

Don't think the cam is worn since the push rod is plastic/nylon and I was able to get .020" gap quite easily.  Also, this is what I would call a reverse cam?  Points ride open until the push rod drops to make contact for a moment.  It's been a while since I messed with points but from what I remember, that seems backwards - but it works!
John Sawicky

Ljohnsaw

Well, not exactly a CL find, but a great dumpster dive!  After I finished a quick grocery store stop, I drove around the back as it is an easy exit from the parking lot.  There was a big dumpster with a odd aluminum shelving unit sticking out of the top, so I stopped.  Under it was a Macro Bin - large plastic bin that are 4'x4' and this one looks like it will hold about 1/2 yard of material.  The thing is in excellent shape.  While I was pulling that out, this was sitting under it:

Ever since I have been watching @jimdad07 videos, I've been wanting one for when I start handling my timbers (next spring).

It was a bit dirtier at the time, covered in greasy dirt.  This is what was wrong with it, the other half was missing:

I made a new pin out of some SS I had laying around.  That is the new pin on the top:

I couldn't figure out how to get the linkage apart so YouTube to the rescue.  Also learned how it is suppose to work and how to adjust it.  Works like new.  I found a place to buy a new pin ($11.00), but where's the fun in that! ;)
John Sawicky

btulloh

Outstanding.  Great rescue.  It's hard to believe what people throw away.
HM126

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

red

One mans trash is another mans . . .

Honor the Fallen Thank the Living

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.

Ljohnsaw

There was a paint crew there and all of the stuff I salvaged was getting covered with empty paint buckets and tons of painter's paper and tape.
John Sawicky

Ljohnsaw

Listed for free on Craigslist - 6" x 36" Craftsman planer.  What!  No way!  I didn't think Craftsman made planers.  Well, it turned out to be a jointer ::)  I emailed the poster (pointing that out) and he liked my email and "wanted it to go to a good home that knows more about it than me".  He was quick to point out that the guard was pretty stiff and didn't know how to make it work.

I spent a few hours cleaning the rust off the bed, lubing up various moving parts and adjusting the infeed table so it was flat with the outfeed table.  And tightened about 2 dozen bolts that were supposed to be holding the stand together.  Also had to sharpen the blades - they were really dull on the right 2" where it was used all the time.  The other 4" on the left were almost new.  Added locking wheels to make it portable.

The PPO (previous, previous owner) added a chip collection chute made out of some 1/16" aluminum.  Works really well!

This replaces the 4½" x 24" jointer I have down in my shop.  Actually, I have about 90% of a second one as well that my daughter thought I needed :D
John Sawicky

21incher

Wow, I got 60 bucks for mine when I sold it on Craigslist last year.  Sold it in a hour with 10 people in line. You got a good deal, they are a great starter joiner. Craftsman sold rebadged bellsaw planers at one time. :)
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

Onthesauk

I bought one of those new over 30 years ago and got good use out of it!
John Deere 3038E
Sukuki LT-F500

Don't attribute irritating behavior to malevolence when mere stupidity will suffice as an explanation.

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.

Kbeitz

Looks just like the one I bought from Sears in 1973 for $480.00.
I still use it and it has never give a problem.

Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

samandothers

I cleaned up my dad's craftsman that had been sitting for years.  Plugged it in and the magic smoke left the motor! :-\

Kbeitz

Quote from: samandothers on November 29, 2017, 09:36:57 AM
I cleaned up my dad's craftsman that had been sitting for years.  Plugged it in and the magic smoke left the motor! :-\

Easy fix....

Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

samandothers

Ljohnsaw

Took a while to connect with this guy but he listed a bucket of stainless steel bolts for $20.  Turned out to be about 3 gallons of bolt in 5 diameters (1/4" to 1/2") and lengths from 1" to 5" in 1/4" increments (6 to 8 sizes).  99.5 pounds of bolts!  I think I'm set for a couple lifetimes!

On the left side is random galvi bolts.  A little over 2/3s are stacked that I did during the rain today, the jarred ones were from yesterday.  I still need a few more PB jars to get them all put away.
John Sawicky

btulloh

Heckuva deal.

You sure do eat a lot of peanut butter.  :)
HM126

Ljohnsaw

Quote from: btulloh on March 01, 2018, 06:44:55 PM
Heckuva deal.

You sure do eat a lot of peanut butter.  :)
And that ain't half of them!  The skinny green lid ones are Parmesan cheese - love that stuff, too!  A couple are Miracle Whip.  We go through a big jar a month, maybe less.  Lately, the price per ounce is much less on the littler jars that are more useful for storing the not-too-long bolts.  Sooo much better than glass jars.
There are between 50 and 75 bolts on most sizes.  One size there must be 200.  I'm guessing close to 1,500 bolts.  One cent a bolt sure beats $1.00-2.00 at the local hardware store!
John Sawicky

thecfarm

Even if those was regular bolts,it would be a bargain. Those SS are pricey.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Ljohnsaw

Someone was cleaning out a storage unit and had 12 cement blocks to give away.  I use them as supports for my wood stacks.  Turns out he bids at storage auctions and does it pretty much full time.  He says its not like on TV - never found gold and rarely finds guns.  Mostly junk.  I asked if he had anything else in this unit to get rid of.  He asked if I wanted these two blocks of wood:

7½x14½x5½

10x15½x5

Black walnut.  As you can see, the ends were waxed.  A bit of check on the bigger one.  Thought about selling them on eBay but to get the best price, need to make usable blanks (cut them round).  So I figured if I'm going to that trouble, I might as well turn some bowls and such out of them.  I'm thinking the wider one (10") I'll resaw into two thinner blanks for making platters and the other into a couple blanks for deeper bowls.
John Sawicky

Ljohnsaw

Searching my memory banks, and relating to different houses I've owned, I say about 30 years ago I picked up a Craftsman 8" tablesaw (113.27580) at a garage sale for maybe $15.  It has a small top (18x22) with a 10" wing.  I've made a ton of stuff with it but always wanted a bigger top.  About 10 years later (in my current house) I found another, slightly older unit that was on a stand with a 4" jointer.  They shared the motor - you would take the belt off one end, slide the motor over and put the belt on the other end to switch tools!  I have that one set up just to do dado cuts.

Anyhow, I'm always watching for another free saw to rob the wings off to put on my first saw.  I did find one that matched the older so it has a bit bigger table.  Couple days ago, I see what looks like a clone to my saw - same fence, same front attachment and looks like the same open web cast iron wing.  I make the call and I'm first in line.  He got tired of it being so heavy and having to move it around when he wanted to use it.  He said he was cutting PT lumber for a fence when it stopped working.  He said he was an electrician and checked the cap but still would not go - figured the motor was burnt up.

I happen to have a spare tablesaw motor, so I bring it home.  I try a different cap on the motor, but no go.  There is a thermal overload breaker that doesn't seem popped and does nothing when I push it.  So I give it a good wack with a hammer.  I'm a fan of percussive maintenance. ;)  Works great now! 

Well, not the same as my first 8" - this one is a 10"!!! 8) (113.29991) and is a Craftsman "100" - the gold edition with a nice 60t? carbide blade.  I'm assuming it is a 100th anniversary of Sears?  Well, my total table size went from 28 (18+10" wing) x 22 to 30 (20+10" wing) x 27.  The extra 5" of depth is all in front of the blade.  I had picked up an old cast iron table top from another saw (PowerMatic) to make a router table (never got around to it) that is also 20x27.  I attached that to the wing (with some support legs) so I have a massive (to me) 50" wide x 27" deep table - all cast iron.  I had to spend about an hour filing the miter slots to straighten/widen them at the back end.  My miter fence was hanging up.  Now it works smooth as can be.

After pulling the nice cast iron pulleys from my old tablesaw, I noticed the arbor bearings were growling a little - it is due for an overhaul.
John Sawicky

Ljohnsaw

Yesterday a guy posts a single picture of garage cleanout pile - All or None listing.  I debated for about a half hour and finally called him.  The picture and description showed/said some scaffolding, ladders, a power miter saw, fishing poles, fishing tackle and some folding tables and hand tools.  I didn't want the two 8' brown folding tables - they are always warped and peeling plastic.

Well, I think I hit the jackpot.  Yep, the brown tables are trash but there was a Lifetime 6' plastic that was hiding behind them that is great.  I'll save the legs from the brown tables to make my own "work tables" from plywood at my cabin project.  The two scaffolding ends (6'x7' walk through) have the cross braces and wheels.  Need to re-assemble the extension/folding ladder.  Also a Little Giant type folding ladder.  

The fishing rods are decent, reels ok with a nice Pfluger Medalist in the box.  An assortment of flies and a bunch of fly boxes with two fly fishing vests (1 new), fly tying vise and some supplies.  The powered miter saw is an old Rockwell ~8".  Got a squirrel cage blower/fan with outlets on it.  Small but quiet and powerful.  A huge electric fish tape, a half a 5 gallon bucket of 3/4" bolts, washers and nuts (10" or so, all new) along with a cooler filled with "stuff".  Most of the stuff was random bolt and lag screws (all new) but there was a heavy flat metal box in the bottom.  I really nice OLD puller set - something I was considering to purchase!

Also in the cooler was a cannon ball the size of a tennis ball!  At first I though it was a down rigger ball.  Got a 5 gallon bucket of brass gate valves in ¾" and 1" and a few (new) plastic electric sprinkler valves (I have a few to replace).  A new-in-the-box air pressure gauge for a compressor.  A milk crate of ABS fitting and another of schedule 80 fittings.  A half bucket of giant nails (7") and 50 giant landscape galvi nails (12").  A receiver hitch cargo carrier - was looking to get one for my ATV to carry my chainsawing stuff.  Two 6' lengths of ¾ copper pipe and a few fittings.  A 5 gallon drum of Thompson's and another of boiled Linseed oil - both about 4 gallons left.

Then, there are these three things.  The first, I think, is the head bracket for a bull float?

Then this super heavy magnet - I think is from an OLD motor (like open windings in science class)? Strong but not like today's supper magnets!  (tennis ball for size reference)

And this "wrench" that has Flo Control embossed - cast aluminum.  For taking apart a big valve?  Or maybe irrigation pipe/valves?

John Sawicky

olcowhand

Olcowhand's Workshop, LLC

They say the mind is the first to go; I'm glad it's something I don't use!

Ezekiel 36:26-27

Bricklayer51

The first picture is from a bull float

GRANITEstateMP

ljohnsaw, what did you have to give for all that?  Sounds like a nice mixed bag of goodies!  Was it close to home or a long haul?
Hakki Pilke 1x37
Kubota M6040
Load Trail 12ft Dump Trailer
2015 GMC 3500HD SRW
2016 Polaris 450HO
2016 Polaris 570
SureTrac 12ft Dump Trailer

Ljohnsaw

$Free$!!!  It was a 10 minute ride up the hill.  He was throwing boxes on faster than I could arrange them.  He wanted it gone and now! 

I also got a new-ish 5 gallon gas can (that I needed) and a large garbage bag of halogen and florescent bulbs in boxes to get rid of (I'll put back on CL to find a new home).
John Sawicky

GRANITEstateMP

Free is one of my favorite prices!
Hakki Pilke 1x37
Kubota M6040
Load Trail 12ft Dump Trailer
2015 GMC 3500HD SRW
2016 Polaris 450HO
2016 Polaris 570
SureTrac 12ft Dump Trailer

Ljohnsaw

The owners of the cabin that I get to use when I'm working on mine were looking for an IBC or two to hold water when they are burning brush to put it out at the end.  I found two 330 gallon ones on CL for free - they were "very dirty" and had wax chunks in them.  What it was, was (Tom) remnants of concrete cure sealer.  A wax-based water emulsion (i.e. poor-man's Anchorseal ;)).

Well, one tank was extra chunky.  Large pieces of yellowish wax in a milky solution.  I made a three foot extension for my paint mixer you put on a drill.  Took a bit of doing but drained that one.  The second was much more liquid with just a few big chunks.  All in all, I got almost 40 gallons of sealer!  The only problem is I don't have any hardwoods to use it on!  I've only been cutting pine and don't have issues with not sealing the ends.  Maybe it will come in handy when I do the Aspen for the flooring.

Anyone near me that could use a free gallon or 10?  Can't really ship it.
John Sawicky

Ljohnsaw

If you scroll up to reply #23, you will see a Crown pallet jack that I picked up a little over a year ago.  Well, same store, I look in the dumpster and I find this one:

This one is a little pigeon-toed! :D About 4 inches!  Looks like they backed the forklift into it.  With a little persuasion from a 12 ton bottle jack, I opened it back up (had to go 2" over for spring back).

But, it looks like it was abused a little more.

I'm thinking someone sat a really heavy load on it.  Perhaps the forklift again... :-\  I'll have to pull the bars off and straighten them out somehow.  Maybe roll over them with my truck.

The tag says this one was made in China - it has thin plastic wheels so I don't know how long they will last.
John Sawicky

Ljohnsaw

I thought I'd be able to remove the bars under the forks to straighten them but, being made in China, this pallet jack is not really meant to be serviced or have parts replaced.  I would have had to drill out several roll pins (no way to pound them through) to disassemble.  So, I just flipped it over, set the 12 ton bottle jack on one bar and wrapped a chain around the fork.  Then I just jacked it until the bar was pressing on the bottom side of the fork.  Repeat and done - faster than taking it apart.

I had a large collection of Boy Scout uniforms that I was dropping off to send to the troops that lost everything in the Paradise fire last week.  On my way home, I hit an "estate sale".  Everything was pretty well over priced.  I did find two nearly full spools of stranded 12g THHN wire and 1/3 bucket (221 of 600) of Simpson SDS25600 lag screws (6") and I paid $20 for the lot.  The rolls of wire are $55 each at HD and the Simpsons are about $1.00 each in large quantities.  So I saved about $300.  I'll be using all of this on my cabin build.  A good morning!
John Sawicky

hturner12

I found a pawn shop that has some  decent  tools not high turn over.  So far  Hitichi  job  site tablesaw $200, echo cs 600 $200, Makita  4 x24 belt sander $20.00, royobi  2 hp plunge router $30.00 and a Clark E8 Floor  sander $400.  Has a very generous layaway program
Hugh
Ezbordwalk Jr

Ljohnsaw

I was the first to respond so I got it.  Another project :D

A little elbow grease and you can read the brass plate now.

Propane regulator.

Still have to look it up to see how big this Wisconsin twin engine is, which is set up to run on propane so I'm thinking this was for indoor work.  I pulled the makeshift choke off as that section of intake was full of water.  The raise and lower crank works but the throttle on the dash is stuck.  Belts look like they were replace just before it was abandoned.

The engine plate says Model TF, SN 2228844, Size 3¼x3¼, Spec No. 86528
John Sawicky

moosehunter

You just going to use the engine or are you going into the concrete / asphalt cutting bizz?
"And the days that I keep my gratitude
Higher than my expectations
Well, I have really good days".    Ray Wylie Hubbard

btulloh

HM126

Ljohnsaw

Quote from: moosehunter on April 03, 2019, 08:07:24 PM
You just going to use the engine or are you going into the concrete / asphalt cutting bizz?
Since I'm retired now for 6 years and I have a 4wd trencher and now this concrete saw, maybe I'll start a little side job...
John Sawicky

Ljohnsaw

A couple days ago, I'm scanning CL free and a guy listed an old Ford Ranger for free but no chassis or engine.  The bed look nice and clean (as did the whole truck).  Left a message and text.  Couple days later he texts to see if I'm still interested.  I am so I go out to get it.  Turns out he is "restoring" and old 56 or so Dodge (IIRC).  He read you could plop it on a Ranger frame and he would have "modern" running gear with a decent ride.

So I got the bed (just 6 star bolts and its off) with a tailgate for free.  I'm going to put it on a small trailer I made a few years ago.  Thinking of making it a dump bed.  I have a ram and a collection of 2hp edger engines.  Thinking of teaming that up with a power steering pump and a valve.

Just saw this listed "Sander":

Made me really sad to see it.  It is an old Shopsmith 10e or 10er.  I have one fully restored and two more waiting.  This one is a bit too far gone!  The only thing worth the trip is the belt cover.  Those are pretty rare - aluminum casting that usually gets dropped and broken.  The 12" sanding disk is also nice aluminum, but I already have 7.
John Sawicky

Ljohnsaw

A while back (4 or 5 years?) I found this old Generac generator (5hp, pull start) Maybe 3,500w?  I cleaned it up and gave it a paint job.  My Makita 16" beam saw really drags it down as does my worm drive skill saw.  Forget about running my little compressor with anything else.

It works (when it wants to), hard to start when its cold out and generally noisy as it runs at 3600 rpm to make the frequency.  But, it is good to use to warm our foil-wrapped burritos for lunch!

Seriously thinking about buying another generator that is electric start.  Even bid on a few ($250) on BidRL that are worth $850 new but will probably go for too much money.  Then I see a free ad on CL late Sunday night.  Get a call back Monday mid-morning to come get it, but it is really heavy - need a ramp.

It is a 6,500w unit out of an RV.  The previous homeowner set it up with a 30 amp welder socket.  It came with 3 manuals (installation, operators and parts).  It can be wired various way, including three-phase!  I hooked up a battery and it cranks over just fine.  Stuck the gas line in a jug of gas but it wasn't pulling it up through the filter.  So I gave it a shot of ether and it kicked over - Great, got spark!  Replaced the fuel line as it was a tad loose on the input side of the electric fuel pump.  Gave a few more cranks and it fired up.  Nice thing is it runs at 1800 rpm so it is a LOT quieter.  Just needs a fuel tank, gas cut off valve and a switch to disable the fuel pump.

Oh, and the manual says it weighs in at 307 pounds.  The manual is dated 1979 and it looks to be cast iron cylinders.  What a beast.  I need to put some bigger wheels on it and I'm thinking a removable hitch/tongue so I can tow it with my ATV.  I could put a pair of no-flat wide wheelbarrow tires (kind of small diameter) or a 1,200lb 4-lug axle from a small trailer with bigger tires.  Leaning toward the latter but lack of time right now.
John Sawicky

Sedgehammer

That's a find! If cast iron sleeves and it's not been totally abused, should last a long time. 
Necessity is the engine of drive

TimRB

Quote from: ljohnsaw on August 17, 2018, 05:39:00 PMAnd this "wrench" that has Flo Control embossed - cast aluminum.  For taking apart a big valve?  Or maybe irrigation pipe/valves?

LINK REMOVED PLEASE READ POSTING RULES. EBAY AND CRAIGLIST ADS NOT ALLOWED>

Edit:  Just posted because it solved the mystery--have no interest in the item.

Tim

Chuck White

John, I have one that looks almost identical to yours, but it's 4,000

I've had it since '97 or so, it's out of a motorhome also, and runs at 1800 rpm

I could run it all day on 5gal gas.

Mine's on the fritz now, it has a dual distributor and it's now defective.

When I got mine, it was mounted on a small trailer with 8 inch wheels.

But, it's still very heavy!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Ljohnsaw

After some digging through the junk stockpile and pondering some different options here is what I came up with.  At first, I was going to use the trans axle from a lawn tractor but it was too narrow.

The rails are from a pallet rack (60" piece) cut in half.  The recess on the inside edge is to accept the frame the generator is mounted in.  The receiver hitch is mounted on the top of the rails - I had to change that as the actual generator was protruding out of the frame and hit it.  So I moved it to the bottom.  The axle is supported by a pillow block bearing just under the rail mounted to that cross piece.  With the fixed axle, it was hard to turn.  So I cut the axle in the middle and put a piece of 3/4" black pipe between the rails to keep the axle straight and supported.  I filled it with grease to keep it from rusting.  The pipe rotates with the axle when going straight.  The back "bumper" is a extra piece from my sawmill build.  I cut a short length off of it and that became the battery mount.

I had this jack already made up, just had to shorten the bar so it is compact when staged for use or in storage.  The longer draw bar is for towing.

Here the battery is mounted, the battery cables were just the perfect length.  Hard to tell from this angle but I will mount another plate to accept a gas tank on the near side of the receiver bar.  I just need to pick up another lawn tractor to get a 2 or 3 gallon tank.  I will also put some bolts/washers over the frame to hold the generator frame to the trailer rails.  The idea is to be able to remove the generator from the trailer when I keep it in my basement after the cabin is done.  I left the 3" casters on the generator frame.
John Sawicky

Ljohnsaw

Not a freebie, but at $130, a pretty good deal.  Some thoughts and questions:
The name plate is a little mangled but I can make out "The Colson Company", a serial number (154?), 6,000 pound rating and that it was built for a specific military contract.  The date of service is messed up.  Anyone heard of the Colson company?

After removing the rotted wood, you can more clearly see the frame damage in the back side rail.  It took a hit on the right side and bent the rail in and down above the tire.  I'll see if I somehow bend it back up.

The wood was resting on the side rails made from some T shaped stock on its side.  Then this 1/4" flat bar was bolted on top flush with the outside metal.  I *think* the square nuts are welded to the botom of the T and the counter sunk screws are rusted in.  I gave the 18 of them a good dose of BlueCreeper - this will be the acid test!

I also gave all the lug studs and the split rim bolts a good shot.

What do you call this tread design?  These tires have a max pressure of 125 PSI!  One tire is a normal looking street tread and max pressure of 80.  I should replace it as it does have a couple cracks/splits in the sidewall.  Hate to have it fail when under load.  It'd be good to have a spare handy when I'm up the hill working.

Looks like the deck was made from white oak and was coated with asphalt tar.  A little stinky and I don't think would make good fire wood (at least in the house!).

Not like I need another project but I plan to clean it up and paint (have a can of yellow tractor paint), repack the bearings and maybe install (if not one somewhere) a zerk on the fifth wheel plate.  I also plan to attach a receiver to the hitch so I can slide in a normal 2" hitch on a draw bar.

I would like to replace the deck with white oak (Quercus lobata) that is in range at my cabin.  I've never really looked at the oak closely to determine what I have.  Also, in my range, up there is Oracle oak (X moreha), Canyon live oak (chrysolepis) and Blue oak (douglasii).  Would any of the 3 be a good substitute for white oak in terms of durability to the weather?
John Sawicky

Ljohnsaw

A minor update to my RV generator.  So it was starting and running great last year.  This spring, cranked for a bit and the battery died.  So jumped it.  Ran for a while but battery still dead.  Put a volt meter on it while running - 10.6v  Can't charge very well on that!  So, quick fix:

Its a generator, right?  Needs charging while it running, right?  So slap on a battery charger!  It may have been this way since before I got it for free but need to dig into the documents to see if it even does charge.  I'm thinking not as there is no "extra" wires in the battery harness except for a couple of quick disconnects.
John Sawicky

breederman

I have a generator out of a motor home and have to use a charger in it too.
Together we got this !

trimguy

Maybe the motor home was responsible for charging it. Just a thought, I don't know how they are set up.

Tacotodd

I'd be using the generator to charge it. Otherwise, you might have to start the MH for a charge JUST to be able to run the generator.

At least that's how I'D do it. But that's maybe why I'm not an engineer (makes to much sense).
Trying harder everyday.

Magicman

The generator cranked off of the motorhome battery which was charged by the motorhome engine's alternator.  You can probably get by with a battery charger plugged into the generator.  At least it will be charging while the genny is running.  There is not normally a 12VDC output on the genny. 

21incher

I had a big Winnebago motor home and the generator started  off the house batteries. When running it charged the batteries using a 120 to 12 volt inverter in the motor home.  The engine  would  also charge them when going down the road. Be sure  to check the Hertz on that generator as some older generators can require rpm adjustments to dial in 60 hz output for sensitive equipment. I put my big generac on a trailer like that. 
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

Ljohnsaw

Quote from: 21incher on June 24, 2021, 06:27:53 PMBe sure to check the Hertz on that generator as some older generators can require rpm adjustments to dial in 60 hz output for sensitive equipment. I put my big generac on a trailer like that.

No sensitive equipment - just my drill and skilsaw.

MM, I did put a volt meter on the battery when the generator was running.  That little trickle charger was only showing 12.6 v so maybe it thought the battery was fully charged.  I need to do one more test but I think this charger is too smart.  It senses what the voltage is (6v or 12v) and what the charge state is to do a fast charge or trickle.  I think if I open the circuit to see what the charger can do, it will just turn off.
John Sawicky

Ljohnsaw

Just picked this up yesterday. 5' x 16" x 1" cutting edge from something.

Weighs in about 340-360 pounds.  Another piece of scrap when to Schnitzer and it was 580 pounds!
John Sawicky

Ljohnsaw

This beauty was listed for free.

Googling, I found it is a Marvel Combined Shear and Punch listed in "The Iron Age" back in October 27, 1904.  Without the legs, it is touted as a portable tool at 135 pounds.  There is only a drawing of the label side with a pair of handles/levers on the back side. 

It describes the use (can cut up to 1/2" plate and 3/4" rod stock!) but I cannot find any other information regarding what the levers ends are supposed to look like.  It talks about some cam action on the levers used either singly for light stock or alternately for heavy stock.  There are no gears. 

The shear blades are not chipped and seem to have a decent edge.  The punch is engaged so I can't see those edges.  I plan on getting it apart (come on BlueCreeper!), clean it up, repaint (institution green) and see if I can get it functioning.

Anybody have one or know how the handles should look?
John Sawicky

JJ

JJ

I found the patent:

Ljohnsaw

Thanks JJ!

Good thing I have a lathe.  Now to source a piece of stock of sufficient hardness...
John Sawicky

woodroe

Found this 27 ton Troybilt log splitter with Honda engine on CL recently.
Older model but nice condition and one owner. Starts 1st pull and 1/2 the price of a new similar size splitter.
Have run a couple cord through it and all it needed was a fix to the reverse function, was kicking out early so removed the hand lever and spun that cylinder 180* and works right now. Bargain

Skidding firewood with a kubota L3300.

Thank You Sponsors!