iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Free black walnut.

Started by Cguignard, November 17, 2013, 07:29:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NH4000

Quote from: Cguignard on November 23, 2013, 09:11:11 PM
OK here are the pictures, if it turns out to be butternut 8) or walnut 8). I will saw it, use it, and love it just the same. I just hope it is healthy :D.  What do you think?  ???

Pretty sure those are not black walnuts, but can't identify what they ARE.

The wood looks really nice, though.
Walnut slayer causing depressed squirrels. Revenge anticipated.

thecfarm

I'm not a betting man.but I bet that is butternut,for sure. I have some nuts just like them in the garage,somewheres.I went out to find them,but could not find them. Did you go to that link I posted,page 4? That shows the nuts of both real good.
swampdonkey would agree too.  :(
I have a good size one down by the mailbox and 2 other small ones. There was one that died and than to get a better view of the field I cut one down. My father would always pick up a few nuts when I was growing up. Does not seem to be as many nuts as there use to be.
The long stems give it away too.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

mikeb1079

sure looks like black walnut to me, including the sap and the funky outer ring.  i've seen that before
that's why you must play di drum...to blow the big guys mind!
homebuilt 16hp mill
99 wm superhydraulic w/42hp kubota

Ianab

There is also 20 other species of Walnut other than Black Walnut. As it's a garden tree, and not native to the area it could be an import, from any place in the world? The tree shape doesn't look like the Chinese Walnut that grows wild here, but the nuts, leaves and wood look similar.

While you don't have any really great "sawlogs" there, you will be able to get some interesting and useful wood out of it, even if the exact species remains a bit of a mystery. You don't need 16 ft logs to make a 3 ft long table  ;)

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Cguignard

Quote from: Ianab on November 23, 2013, 10:58:09 PM
There is also 20 other species of Walnut other than Black Walnut. As it's a garden tree, and not native to the area it could be an import, from any place in the world? The tree shape doesn't look like the Chinese Walnut that grows wild here, but the nuts, leaves and wood look similar.

While you don't have any really great "sawlogs" there, you will be able to get some interesting and useful wood out of it, even if the exact species remains a bit of a mystery. You don't need 16 ft logs to make a 3 ft long table  ;)

Ian
That is why I am going to saw it is to have a different wood in inventory, for a someday project. My wife thinks that it would make a great kitchen island with maple kitchen we are designing.

5quarter

I'm with theCfarm...butternut.
What is this leisure time of which you speak?
Blue Harbor Refinishing

LoneDuck

SW_IOWA_SAWYER

I have cut a fair amount of walnut and quite a few butternut logs. I am pretty sure it isn't Butternut and looks like some type of walnut. It may not be the walnut we have in Iowa but it is really really close.
Butternut Logs some have lost most of their bark

Butternut Lumber look how light colored it is compared to the stump of the walnut in question

Compared to Iowa walnut

Just my .02 worth after cutting both :D
I owe I owe so its off to work I go....

WDH

Quote from: RynSmith on November 23, 2013, 11:27:02 AM
Quote from: WDH on November 18, 2013, 07:36:23 AM
There are no nut trees that are opposite branched.

So, you're saying horse chestnuts aren't really nuts?  I sense a defamation suit!  :o   :D

Technically, the fruit of horse chestnut is a capsule, not a nut  :).  Hold off on the defamation suit  ;D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

5quarter

Iowa Sawyer...I'm just across the river from you. your walnut looks like mine. I would agree with your assessment except the nuts pictured are butternuts. maybe the tree in question is a natural hybrid, like Bastogne walnut. I would not be surprised.
Cguignard...Scoop up as many nuts as you can and plant them!
What is this leisure time of which you speak?
Blue Harbor Refinishing

Cguignard

I am thinking of planting the one nut that I have, my buddie has a sapling about 8-10 feet tall, from this tree growing in a flower bed by his house he wanted me to cut but I talked him out of in and told him I would come and dig it up in the spring.  He said it was mine as long as the leaves didn't come out.  Score x2  8)

RynSmith

Quote from: WDH on November 25, 2013, 09:59:11 PM
Quote from: RynSmith on November 23, 2013, 11:27:02 AM
Quote from: WDH on November 18, 2013, 07:36:23 AM
There are no nut trees that are opposite branched.

So, you're saying horse chestnuts aren't really nuts?  I sense a defamation suit!  :o   :D

Technically, the fruit of horse chestnut is a capsule, not a nut  :).  Hold off on the defamation suit  ;D.

I just knew I was going to regret challenging you!

WDH

It may be a capsule, but it looks like a nut  ;D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Cguignard

I know that this post in heavy on tree identification, and maybe in the wrong forum, but I promise that I will get to sawing soon. We are going to hall the logs to my mill on Friday, who would want to go shopping on black Friday anyways ???.  Unless bailey's online is having a sale.  I am looking forward to opening up the logs and getting a few boards out of it. You guys have been a great source of knowledge as always. Thanks

dboyt

Quote from: Cguignard on November 26, 2013, 08:35:36 AM
I am thinking of planting the one nut that I have, my buddie has a sapling about 8-10 feet tall, from this tree growing in a flower bed by his house he wanted me to cut but I talked him out of in and told him I would come and dig it up in the spring.  He said it was mine as long as the leaves didn't come out.  Score x2  8)

Good for you!  There is an saying "A young man plants turnips, and old man plants trees".  It is good to see a young man (well compared to a lot of us) looking far enough to the future to plant trees.  By the way, a good, sharp close-up of the buds on a twig will probably answer the question about the tree species in question.  If you do that try to include some lateral buds and the terminal bud.
Norwood MX34 Pro portable sawmill, 8N Ford, Lewis Winch

Brad_bb

The OP didn't mill this wood yet?  As always looking for pictures.
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

Sawdust Lover

Im going to say it's English Walnut. Just my thought after sawing one last week.

Thank You Sponsors!