iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Butter nut dust

Started by millwright, April 16, 2017, 04:23:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

millwright

Anyone know about butternut sawdust? Good or bad for animals ( or people).

YellowHammer

I milled some butternut last weekend, my eyes were still red the next morning, after two showers.  I don't think it's as allergenic to me as walnut, but it's noticeable.  I have no idea about how or if it affects other critters. 
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Bruno of NH

Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

VTwoodworker

I don't know about all animals but the horse owners around here do not want butternut, walnut or cherry in the bedding.  I think it is because the horses will eat it and get sick.  Milling butternut does not bother me but planing and working dry lumber and the fine dust gets to me.

millwright

Thanks, I have horse people come for sawdust so I will get rid of this some other way.

petefrom bearswamp

Hmmm, hadnt thought about the sawdust.
Havent milled any Butternut in many years but my son discovered a fallen one when cutting firewood on saturday so I'll have to saw it soon.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

WIwoodworker

I saw Butternut frequently and don't have any issues with it. I have around 1,000bf in the kiln and another 1,500bf of logs to saw. I would think though that being in the same family as walnut it might have some of the same issues as walnut when it comes to sensitivity to the dust, etc...
Peterson 9" WPF

Thank You Sponsors!