iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Why Didn't I think of that?

Started by SawyerTed, May 14, 2019, 05:02:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SawyerTed

Sometimes someone seeing a problem for the first time comes up with a good idea and I think, "Why didn't I think of that?"

Today I was sawing for a good friend.  He and The Doc were tail gunning.

The Doc often will use a long handled corn shovel to catch the sawdust.  She just walks along beside me and catches the sawdust so she's out of the way of a broken blade.  The sawdust gets dumped in a trash can or in a pile beyond the end of the mill for disposal later.  That way the pile of sawdust beside the mill doesn't have to be shoveled away and it doesn't kill the grass if we are sawing in someone's yard.  

My friend is particular about his grass so he brought out the storage bins.  The bins caught the sawdust.  He and the Doctor dumped them when I was adjusting logs etc. When I was sawing cedar, Dan was all about saving the sawdust.

"Why didn't I think of that?"  I don't think I'll do this all the time but it did save a lot of shovel work.

Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

Jeff

I think that is most excellent. 
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

OffGrid973

The ones on wheels are good to drag right into the trailer as well when you are finishing up and drive off.

Cleanup is just as important when talking customer service...leave it as you found it, plus a whack or two :)
Your Fellow Woodworker,
- Off Grid

Chuck White

~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Mossy Chariot

Tony B
LT35HD, Riehl Edger, Woodmaster 725 Planer/Molder, Nyle 53 Drying Kiln, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, T750 Bobcat, E50 Excavator, Kubota 3450, Wallenstein Skidding Winch, Vermeer BC1250 Chipper, Stihl 250 & 460, Can-Am Defender

WV Sawmiller

Neat idea. I like simple things. My last sawing was on the lot in front of my house where I want to protect the grass so I laid down 2 - 8X10 tarps overlapping a foot or so with a footpath between them and the mill. It worked pretty well and I bagged up the sawdust for oil sweep for a couple of people who wanted some. Big open bins would be easier to fill than 50 lb feed sacks but I had plenty of feed sacks available.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

SawyerTed

I've tried several things including tarps.  Besides catching the sawdust with the big shovel, this has worked as well as anything.  Of course the shovel method requires a long handled shovel and a person to operate it. :D 
My next thing is a slab processor!
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

Jim_Rogers

Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

WV Sawmiller

I tried the bucket trick but it conflicted with my wheel every time we'd pass it when getting low.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Lawg Dawg

2018  LT 40 Wide 999cc, 2019 t595 Bobcat track loader,
John Deere 4000, 2016 F150, Husky 268, 394xp, Shindiawa 591, 2 Railroad jacks, and a comealong. Woodmaster Planer, and a Skilsaw, bunch of Phillips head screwdrivers, and a pair of pliers!

100,000 bf club member
Pro Sawyer Network

Thank You Sponsors!