iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

ash floor

Started by trapper, December 29, 2007, 08:35:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

trapper

My stepson wants to make ash flooring for his house.  wants 4 in wide  by 3/4 thick finished size.  What size do we need to make the rough stock to alow for shrink drying, planing and for the toung and groove?  1st thing I made was a streacher for weasel hides.  as simple as it was feels good to go from tree to finished product.  Haven't had time to saw lately because of work and other things.related comments to the flooring also appreaceted
probably missed it but how do I find spell check?
stihl ms241cm ms261cm  echo 310 400 suzuki  log arch made by stepson several logrite tools woodmizer LT30

Foxtrapper

For your flooring: you can roughly figure 1/4-1/2" for shrink width wise.  For planning you will want at least an 1/8" on each side.  So figure on cutting your boards 4.75"w X a full 1" thick, could even do 1 1/8" to be on the safe side. :)
2014 WoodMizer LT28

footer

I would leave all the boards as wide as they come off the mill, no less than 4 3/4" wide,  and cut them to size after they are dry.

Robert Long

Trapper

I would start with looking at the dressing method you plan to use, are you going to make tong and groove, the shaper you use....does it need the stock at the same thickness, if so, you will need to dress the boards first through a thickness plane (which will take at least an 1/8' off it before you pass it through the shaper),  You should make a saw cut on the under side for cupping, so will this process also take some off the thickness?

As to width....I agree with footer, cut them after drying.

Work backwards a little, start with the last step and think of all the processes you need to do to get a finished floor, include sanding and what machines you will use to accomplish the finished floor and how much each process will take off your stock then allow for a little extra.

Robert

Thank You Sponsors!