iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

central boiler

Started by coxy, February 01, 2013, 07:05:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

coxy

hi has any one had to reline the in side of the fire box and if so do you have to put any kind of heat treated steal or just steal i want to put half inch or 1inch in mine     i have had to pach mine 6 times in the last 4 months it 14 years old  trying to limp it till wormer wather any info would be a big help     thanks a lot paul

r.man

I know a fellow who built one with new steel 18 months ago. He just bought regular plate steel from a shop and had them bend it to cut down on his welding. Saw a rebuilt owb yesterday with a new firebox in it, looked like normal plate to me. It was round with one weld seam down the length. I know that regular steel will work because my first one was built out of a used house oil tank and it lasted 5 yrs without any chemical water treatment.
Life is too short or my list is too long, not sure which. Dec 2014

albirk

1/4" to  3/8" max cut one side off get it all cleaned and ground weld on new steel(reg plate steel) top and bottom are already 3/8" due the same on the front or back one peice at a time when you get it all welded you need to test for leaks ONE PSI of air  if you have no leak cut in the door and the stack weld and hope for the best for leaks I welded mine all with dual sheild .045 wire

also check the bottom of the water jacket CB will often replace it

good luck

r.man

Ditto on the one psi, when I built an owb firebox out of a scrap oil tank I welded a closed pipe on for the smokestack and went to a bit of trouble to get it true. I then air tested the whole box but I put about 5 pounds in before I turned off the air and it popped the whole tank into a bloated state. Most of the tank came back to its original shape but the smokestack wouldn't go back to square.

stumper

I think CBN has a 25 year warranty so you should definately check.

Logging logginglogging

How did the guy with the pre-bent pieces fit them in the door opening? He must have still had quite a bit of welding? Also how do people avoid the water leaking from the old outer firebox from leaking in between the two?

coxy

you dont it shouldent matter if the water is in between the water will not leak through the new pice as long as the weld is good

r.man

The CB warranty needs to be read carefully. It is basically a ten year warranty with a pro rated period after that. I forget which year it is but well before the 20 year period it works out to something like 10 per cent off a new one. I am not trying to be critical of the warranty itself but I do feel that it is being promoted inaccurately. My sister had a good warranty on her jacuzzi style air jet bath tub. She phoned the manufacturer to inquire about the availability of an air pump on her decidedly older tub and when she gave them the date of manufacture to pinpoint the needed part they informed her that it was still under warranty and they would ship a new part no cost to her. This was at the 14 yr 11 months and 3 weeks into a 15 yr warranty which she did not know about. That my friends is a proper warranty and proper service. Again, from what I have heard Central Boiler seems to give fairly good service and they have a decent warranty but I would call it a 10 or so year with a pro rated add on.

albirk

To do a proper repair the firebox and the waterjacket need to come apart it is real dirty just paching a leak I don't no how you could weld in new sides with it all together. The dealer I installed for sent them back to CB it cost around $2000 plus shipping for a new firebox and I DON'T think it came with a new warrenty I fixed mine myself for around $600 but it helps that I got the steel,welding wire,gas, and everything else at cost at work with an overhead crane and fork lift and it helps that I am a welder and a good friend sprays foam ins. . Take a look at your CB thy are only welded on one side (waterjacket) mine is now welded inside and out now.

Thank You Sponsors!