iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Chainsaw bucking jig

Started by beenthere, June 26, 2014, 01:16:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

beenthere

Looks clever, and appears to work well for bucking small diameter stems.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WEG4caulGkM
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

DeerMeadowFarm

Quote from: Jeff on June 26, 2014, 01:43:10 PM
pretty slick
I agree! There were some comments on safety but I think it's safer than my current method of cutting smaller branches:

chester_tree _farmah

Yeah.  That is awesome. How come we didn't think of that?
254xp
C4B Can-Car Tree Farmer
Ford 1720 4wd loader hoe

Oliver1655

Just position a wheel barrow/cart or elevator next to it to catch the rounds.
John

Stihl S-08s (x2), Stihl S10 (x2), Jonsered CS2139T, Husqvarna 338XPT California, Poulan Microvibe XXV, Poulan WoodShark, Poulan Pro 42cc, McCulloch Mini-Mac 6 (x2), Van Ruder Hydraulic Tractor Chainsaw

CTYank

Easy to spread some red stain with that.  :o

I much prefer using my 14" bandsaw, with an older blade. Enormously safer, no problem with 6" thick.  No problem at all indoors. In fact, I use it to buzz all the wood in my stacks (16") in half for my little stove.

Side benefit is greatly reduced wood waste. Over the course of a heating season, the bandsaw generated part of a 5-gal. wastebasket full of chips/dust. Collected by shop-vac, of course.
'72 blue Homelite 150
Echo 315, SRM-200DA
Poulan 2400, PP5020, PP4218
RedMax GZ4000, "Mac" 35 cc, Dolmar PS-6100
Husqy 576XP-AT
Tanaka 260 PF Polesaw, TBC-270PFD, ECS-3351B
Mix of mauls
Morso 7110

chester_tree _farmah

Quote from: DeerMeadowFarm on June 26, 2014, 02:11:14 PM
Quote from: Jeff on June 26, 2014, 01:43:10 PM
pretty slick
I agree! There were some comments on safety but I think it's safer than my current method of cutting smaller branches:

Wow. Yea don't stumble and trip!

When I was in high school I remember working with my friends father. He was a logger. He use to hire an old guy with an old Ford that had a table and saw rig like that mounted on the back. Used it to process firewood. I was young but I swear that blade was at least 3 ft in diameter. No guard. We would buck the logs long enough to get 3 or 4 sticks out of but short enough for two to lift onto the table. When I say the Ford was old I mean curved fenders like the model A years. Two flathead fours. One for the saw. I remember standing next to that blade pushing wood into it... wow scary stuff when u think about it now!
254xp
C4B Can-Car Tree Farmer
Ford 1720 4wd loader hoe

Ianab

Pretty ingenious.

If you added a plywood guard between the saw and the operator, with just a slot to feed the branch through it would be a lot safer. Don't put your body parts though the slot or over the guard, and that way your finger will stay at least 6" from the sharp bits?

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

d1hamby

I definitely need to make one of these for making little cookies to throw in my mulch beds.
Own a Stihl 362 16" 0.050" carbide and steel, and 25" 0.063" Stihl 020T
Stihl KM131R, 130R and KM56R with several Brush Cutter and Weed Trimmer heads. Pole Pruner (with 10", 12" w/wo Carbide, and 16" bar&chains) , Blower, Modified 135° Hedge Trimmer, Straight Edger, Bed Edger, Tiller Kombi attchment

Thank You Sponsors!