iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Tractor Woes

Started by Magicman, October 07, 2016, 09:31:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

PatD and I spent a couple of days at the farm mowing plus I wanted to get the firewood from the dead Champion tree out while it was still dry.

I was able to plant the deer food plots.  The army worms should be gone, but now my seed need rain.  I finished up with a front tractor tire going flat.   :-\

But while I was removing the tire, I smelled Diesel.

Yup, the ground was soaked with Diesel.  I did some looking and determined that the tank itself was leaking so.....

Drain the fuel tank and try to figure out how to remove the tank.  A buncha stuff has to be removed.

It did not give up without a fight, but the tank is out.

A quick look showed a hole rubbed into one side of the tank bottom.

The end of the "cushion" had worn away letting the fuel tank contact the tractor frame.  I'll "Silver Solder" the hole and add a patch for additional strength.

Oh and I got the tire fixed today.  Honey Locust Thorn.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

sandhills

Magic I feel your pain, this spring I had to take the tank off my 4840 which had developed a nice steady drip (again), it's been welded on the tractor before plus I tried some sort of cold weld stuff on it.  Finally got tired of it all, took it off flipped it over, ground it down clean, welded the cracks shut, ground it down smooth again, cut out a nice fitting patch and welded that over the cracked part.  Long story longer, apparently I jarred some crud loose in the tank so after re-install fought that for the next month or so and to top it off I cut my patch a little short and it still seeps a little, not enough to drip but enough to make everything look dirty all the time  :-\.

WDH

I hate it when that happens  :)
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

caveman

By the title, I assumed you would be working on the brakes.  As usual, Lynn, you did waste much time getting the tire repaired and devising a plan to fix the tank.
Caveman

Delawhere Jack

Pretty simple solution really, you just "needmore" tractor!  ;)

I'll trade repairing your tractor for replacing my furnace......   ;D

Magicman

I don't blame the tractor.  That old gal is ~45 years old and has been "rode hard and put up wet" many times.  I just keep patching her along.   ::)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

red

Sounds like operator error , good thing the operator is an excellent mechanic. Glad there were no flesh and blood injuries.
Honor the Fallen Thank the Living

Magicman

QuoteGlad there were no flesh and blood injuries
Actually that part is not true, I just did not show or admit to it.  In the picture showing the fuel can, you might also notice a heavy grill/bumper on the front of the tractor.  Well, I though that I had one loosened bolt holding it on while I removed the other.  Well, it did  not hold and the grill came down on my arm.  Yup, blood and it's still swollen pretty bad.  I took a picture, but decided not to post it, so does that mean that it did not happen?   ;D

Gearbox

Your almost there take a look at the pump coupling while your that close .
A bunch of chainsaws a BT6870 processer , TC 5 International track skidder and not near enough time

Ox

A trick for patching leaky fuel tanks I learned years ago:  Fiber reinforced body putty - aka Bondo.  Just rough up the area, make sure it's dry and all is good.  Gas or diesel, doesn't matter.  Sometimes the reinforcing woven tape helps on big repairs.  I have a fuel tank I cut a strip out of over 10 years ago to make it fit where it didn't belong.  Welded the two halves back together (crudely) and buttoned her up with the Bondo.  Not a drop even over 10 years later.

Maybe this will help someone in the future.  :P 
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

Ljohnsaw

I sprung a leak in the leveling ram lines for my SkyTrak forks.  The rams are over the engine in the back with the lines at the front of the engine.  They started leaking when I had to unload three pallets.  One had a hole but both were pretty stiff so I replaced both.

About a month later, I was making a trail of oil in the dirt.  The glint of sunlight on the gravel made me aware it was fresh.  Hopped off with it running and a shower is coming down from the engine, same place the new hoses are located. :o  Open the side access door and I see the return line from the fuel pump had popped off - diesel everywhere!  Quick fix with a wrench. 8)

My SkyTrak is a youngster, 1987 - only 29 years old!  It has a lot of original hoses :-\
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

LaneC

I used to know a guy who filled his front tires with some kind of foam for that very reason. He lived in Brandon I think, but he said it was that same kind of thorn was the reason he filled them with that foam.
Man makes plans and God smiles

Kbeitz

Check out Red Coat for gas tank repair. Works great.
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

brianJ

Early last week had the skid steer blow a hydraulc hose for the bucket curl.   Thing was it sprayed all over the cab I was sitting in including my face and eyes.   It lasted awhile to as I had it raised several feet so had to spray all the way down even with the machine shut off.     

All I can say is I had a miracle that oil wasnt hot yet.   That woulda been serious.

As that was an original house I went and replaced each in that bundle of four.   Not going to press my luck on that again

Kbeitz

Quote from: brianJ on October 09, 2016, 06:57:47 AM
Early last week had the skid steer blow a hydraulc hose for the bucket curl.   Thing was it sprayed all over the cab I was sitting in including my face and eyes.   It lasted awhile to as I had it raised several feet so had to spray all the way down even with the machine shut off.     

All I can say is I had a miracle that oil wasnt hot yet.   That woulda been serious.

As that was an original house I went and replaced each in that bundle of four.   Not going to press my luck on that again

Same thing happened tp me last week...
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

newoodguy78

Quote from: Magicman on October 07, 2016, 10:53:17 PM
I don't blame the tractor.  That old gal is ~45 years old and has been "rode hard and put up wet" many times.  I just keep patching her along.   ::)

I hope you got your tractor all patched up. Those old John Deeres are great tractors. I've had the pleasure of patching a few of them together over the years. It always amazed me how they were able to stuff 10 pounds of business in a 5 pound area. Definitely a good place to lose a little bit of hide.

Ox

Rubber mudflaps make decent anti rub strips for under your tank when done repairing, MM.
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

ScottAR

BrianJ

Get yourself some hose covers.  Gates calls theirs "nylon protective sleeve."  Heavy woven fabric tube to keep the spray down and also protects them from rubbing on things as well.  I would hate to break it apart again but getting an oil bath is no picnic either. 

I've been there, Had one go on a tractor and cover me in hot oil. It was winter and I was wearing a big coat and winter hat is the only thing that saved me.

The covering also works great to keep shop air hoses from getting nicked if they're dragged around on the floor a lot.
Scott
"There is much that I need to do, even more that I want to do, and even less that I can do."
[Magicman]

brianJ

@Scott   It camewith those sleeves.  Just my luck the one sleeve that was worn is the one that bust a leak.   Also just like my luck that oil was only luke warm.    Honestly thats how my luck goes.   Plenty of adventure but keeps the worst from happening to me.

Magicman

I did my fuel tank fix a couple of weeks ago and finally got time to get the ole John Deere back into running condition yesterday.

I cut a couple of "patches" from some brass stock.

Tinned the area with silver solder and then sweated the tinned brass patches on to seal and reinforce the thin areas.

The hydraulic tank bracket had come loose on one end.

So it was silver soldered back on.  It looks messy but it is solid where it counts.

Cleaned and contact cemented rubber gaskets to the tank bottom to cushion and protect the tank from future wear.

It also got a new alternator/fan belt, so the old warrior is ready for work again. 

scgargoyle

I watching and learning, as I just dragged home an old tractor to fix up- a 50 year old Ford 3000, with a loader. It has all of the classic 'farm fixes' to deal with. I won't even try the loader without replacing the hoses!
I hope my ship comes in before the dock rots!

Ox

Good fixes.  Good to have your machinery all up and running, too!

Magicman

For now anyway.  This ole tractor is old iron.   :-\

gspren

Today I worked up some firewood with my 1956 JD 620, that tractor of yours is still a youngster.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

Magicman

You got me on that for sure.  I have not been able to determine the tractor's actual age but that model was only manufactured 1970-1973.  Maybe I can remember to get the s/n and do some searching.

I talked with the man Saturday that sold my Dad that tractor.  He got his old record book out, but it only went back to 1975.  We did find where Dad bought a disc and cutter.  That was a neat find.

Thank You Sponsors!