iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

From Timber to Lumber, Regional Resources

Started by square1, January 04, 2017, 04:56:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

square1

Because this post crosses several topics if the mods / admins see a better placement please move it.

Many Forestry Forum members are, at least in part, successfully turning trees into lumber and other products. Some fell the trees, others transport raw or finished product, there are many sawyers, some craftsmen/women, and most are doing marketing at some level all along the way.  Some rare individuals, quite possibly out of necessity, seem able to do it all.

It would be of great value to person like myself, who is only able to perform one or two steps of lumber production, to know who in my area might have resources I could tap into to become more successful. 

I'm thinking along lines of the small to medium scale loggers that can't fill a logging truck with 40" stems in an hour (or day or week for that matter), starting out or retired from the work-a-day-world or part-time sawyers looking to buy less than a truck load of logs due to monetary or space limitations, someone with a kiln, edger, planer, or molder sitting idle that could be producing cash flow if others knew it was available, just to list a few possibilities.

Because we deal in product with substantial weight and size, unfavorable logistics can take a great deal of time and cost a lot of money.  Finding someone relatively local that performs a part of the process you don't, and vice-versa, can help forge a more profitable path for both to reach their end means.  This is especially true for those of us with time, space, money, equipment, and/or physical ability considerations preventing us from doing it all.

If enough interest is demonstrated for an area specific to advertising available capacity directly involved in processing Timber to Lumber hopefully the FF would be willing to create an area (maybe a subset of the "Services" forum so as not to be confused with General Services, Help Wanted, or Equipment Sales). Please understand this would be a marketing tool, along the lines of Ebay, Craigslist, etc... with the advantage of focused exposure to a target group of persons with a similar goal. Being such, the standard 5% commission to Forestry Forum Support would be understood as necessary to be paid. Please read those details here  https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,4193.0.html

Would you find it useful?

How would you envision using it?

How often would you reference it?

Would an automatic expiration date, i.e after 30 days the post disappears (not sure if that's possible) be a good feature? I think so!

My post would read like this:Small scale logging operation would like to sell hardwood logs from trees in my woodlot to sawyers in the Flint, Lansing, Saginaw MI area. I can deliver up to 20' logs on a flatbed trailer within 100 miles to be unloaded by purchaser. On site preview of trees / logs to scale / measure / mark for length can be arranged.

Now I realize I just kind of jumped the gun by advertising my capacity and location and there is value to what I posted above so in all fairness to the Forum: I HAVE READ, UNDERSTAND AND AGREE TO THE TERMS OF POSTING AN AD ON THE FORESTRY FORUM.

cashman234

Busysawyer

My post would read something like. If you would deliver your logs from your woodlot to the Grand Rapids area give me a call. 
It would be very helpful to me to find small scale loggers to help feed my small milling operation.
Even a blind squirrel finds a nut every once in awhile

Thank You Sponsors!