iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

crossbow arrow inside of moose

Started by thecfarm, October 16, 2014, 11:32:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thecfarm

My stepson,OJ, had a guide job for a moose hunt. Zone 1 in Maine.The guy shot one,about 600-700 pounds,10 points,32 inch spread with a cross bow inside of it. OJ was gutting it out and could feel his knife hitting something inside. By the esophagus he found the cross bow. The moose he felt was about 3 years old. He could find no place where it had gone in. It was all healed over.
A very intersting find!!
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

giant splinter

WOW,
I bet he mounts the crossbow with that rack, gotta wonder where the archer wound up .....
roll with it

Raider Bill

The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

thecfarm

Sorry Raider Bill just the arrow.  ;D   I did not mean to leave that vital infirmation out. I did change it on the title.

and giant spliter,just to clear the arrow up more,the guy that shot the moose kept the arrow. OJ was just the guide. But I know OJ wanted that arrow. But all OJ has is a story and pictures. I hope too the arrow stays with the antlers.

Here's the shooter of the moose.

and the cross bow

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Magicman

That was certainly an unusual find.

Note: a crossbow "arrow" is actually called a "bolt".  I am assuming that what was found still had the nock attached so that the original length was determined thus identifying it is as a bolt.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

BW_Williams

Can we get a close up of the nock?  I dont think thats a bolt, I think it's an arrow thats been rubbed off.  I'm always vigilant skinning, I've found broad heads just under the skin with no sign of entrance wound!  Stay safe!  BWW  PS I think thats a muzzie broadhead, same brand I use
Support your local Volunteer Fire Dept.  (not by accident)
Support your local Ski Patrol (by snowboarding:)
Mayor of Millerdale, Washington, USA (by God)!

thecfarm

Could be something different. I can ask for a closer picture of the end of it. I think OJ went up to pick up gear and do some bird hunting.

Peter Drouin

Is there a name on the arrow. Years ago you had to put your name on it in NH, Maine might be different.
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

beenthere

Have to put your name on your bullets too?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

thecfarm

OJ is kinda thinking some poaching might of been going on. But that is just a guess.

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

thecfarm

I think they are coming from a phone,than emailed to me. I had a hard time getting them out of the email. I had to send the pictures to my desk top. It's the only way I could figure out how to do it. Be it right or wrong.   ::)  I thought the same thing about the size too.

drobertson

That's crazy!  I've heard of a few sliced fingers from left over broad heads in white tail.. one never knows..
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

gimpy

Actually, the correct term for the modern crossbow projectile is an arrow. The old term of bolt was from back when they were very short style arrows. Crossbow "pistols" still shoot bolts. Modern crossbows shoot arrows.

Generally speaking, the stick/long bow and compound bow shooters tend to call them bolts to try to separate themselves from crossbow shooters. Sort of the same situation went on back when compound bow shooters were vilified by stick/long bow shooters when the compound bow shooters were trying to get equal hunting rights for themselves.

Modern crossbows allow disabled and older hunters to continue to enjoy their hunting experience.
Gimpy old man
Lucky to have a great wife
John Deere 210LE tractor w/Gannon Box

beenthere

Gimpy
I just bought a new Mathews crossbow and the package of "bolts" was marked as a bolt, not an arrow.
They are 22" long. Maybe too short to be called an arrow.
Just sayin...
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Jeff

Who is it that determines the correct term?  I was just browsing Cabella's and several other sporting good sites, and everything is listed as "bolts" for crossbows, not arrows.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

ely

This is as confusing as re sharps...

LeeB

Can you re sharp a broadhead?  ???
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Magicman

I know one that you could not, but it is hooked to the front end of a billy goat, and needs a purple drank.   :D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

LeeB

That would be a broad head, not a broadhead.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

beenthere

Quote from: LeeB on October 23, 2014, 10:28:19 AM
That would be a broad head, not a broadhead.

;D And some of those women wear hats on their heads and even some are sharp.
south central Wisconsin

Thank You Sponsors!