iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sharpening a chain. Why so difficult

Started by Kwill, January 30, 2019, 01:46:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Drew62

Whatever manual aid you use or going freehand,2 nice to have things in your workshop are a narrow beam overhead light+a bench vice that swivels around and lets you stand in a nice natural position while sharpening.
A slave to the machines.

Air Lad

Quote from: HolmenTree on January 31, 2019, 12:27:32 PM
Always hand file the right hand cutters first because if your file slips out of the right hand cutter's gullet your index finger knuckle will get sliced to the bone on a freshly sharpened left hand cutter. And the thickest leather gloves won't save your knuckle.
Here's how I like to file my chain, comfortable,  good view of the cutting edges, free hand supports the cutters  from wobbling and firm grip on the saw. Got my reading glasses on too ;D
Works the same sitting on a log or stump.

I tried this across the legs method out in the field and it seemed to work good
You're head is right above the file. I changed legs to do the other side like a mirror{slightly different}.2 things.1 You need a glove/mat rag to sit the bar on.2 A hot saw on a hot day isn't something nice to cuddle . Apart from those bumps I liked this method. 

HolmenTree

Air Lad, I put a piece of wood or a wooden cookie on my knee so the chain doesn't scratch up my saw pants. When my daughter took that demonstration photo in my shop I just used my glove. Normally in the shop I put the saw in the bench vise.

On the subject of cuddling a warm saw it is nice on a cool day.
A little momentary discomfort on a hot day pays rewards later not having to struggle cutting with a dull saw.
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

gaproperty

Very few guys I know can sharpen a saw perfectly by hand including me.  I bought a power saw mill so I wanted to be able to sharpen the chain perfectly and I finally found a way.  I recently purchase the grand burg file sharpener.  I like it but I found it sometimes moved out of position so I made a easy small improvement.  Here is my improvement but this grand burg file guide is an awesome tool.   Logging Hand Tools 101 - YouTube
Ray
lostcaper.com
youtube.com/c/LostCaper

Thank You Sponsors!