iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

old retriever/forwarder

Started by Buck, June 07, 2010, 12:49:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buck

anybody know anything about an old slotterham forwarder? I'm not even sure I spelled that right. I just picked one up and know very little about it. I have heard that Hanover bought them out .  The machine has a ford engine is articulated and has a knuckle boom loader with a log bunk on the rear. Just looking for information, history, other folks with similar iron. i think this will be handy for feeding my sawmill and firewood activities.
Respect is earned. Honesty is appreciated. Trust is gained. Loyalty is returned.

Live....like someone left the gate open

saltydog

i have one i think its  a soderham.i was told hanover bought them out also .you cant get a simpler machine to work on get most parts at auto parts stores or  local hardware not the fastest or fancy .mines saved my butt a few times when my main forwader was down kind of dangerous offset seating on mine .109hp turbo 4cyl in mine standard 4 speed same planateries as some tree farmers paid 5000 for mine with a new motor .
Proud to be a self employed logger.just me my Treefarmer forwader Ford f600 truck 2186 Jonsereds 385 and 390 husky and several 372s a couple 2171s one 2156  one stihl 066  Hudson bandmill Farquhar 56"cat powered mill.and five kids one wife.

Buck

this one too...the seat is offset. Came with a spare hydraulic pump and it looks like it will be needed.  Kind of a rough old dog. Think this will be a good thing. once the bugs are worked through.
Respect is earned. Honesty is appreciated. Trust is gained. Loyalty is returned.

twobears

saltydog

be very careful with the offset seating .mine is not caged you kind of sit out in the wind .the guy i got mine from was hurt pretty bad when a tree top came up with the tire rotation and hit him in the left shoulder and back thats why he sold it to me .. for 5000 bucks . i was going to cage mine .mine has a prentice loader. kind of crude old machines but mine gets the wood to the deck with no payments .
Proud to be a self employed logger.just me my Treefarmer forwader Ford f600 truck 2186 Jonsereds 385 and 390 husky and several 372s a couple 2171s one 2156  one stihl 066  Hudson bandmill Farquhar 56"cat powered mill.and five kids one wife.

Buck

ok guys....I managed to get a pic to the gallery....woohoo!   

deutz4

It is a Soderham. Were very stable because of the wide stance. I believe their hydraulics were belt driven (weak). Operator was left hanging in the middle of nowhere.

Buck

Thanks....this one has hyd pump coupled to front of motor.  Just had it rebuilt so hopefully stregth wont be an issue.

Ironwood

Cant wait to see a pic

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

Buck

Hey Ironwood,  got it to my gallery and havent gotten any farther. Still learning the ins and outs of this computer stuff.  Having lil issues with hydraulics.  need to find a swing cylinder assy I think. This one is damaged and leaking like crazy.Gonna be handy when done.

treefarmer87

i like that soderham buck, looks good, it has a old prentice loader on it too.
1994 Ford L9000
2004 Tigercat 718
1998 Barko 225
1999 John Deere 748G
FEC 1550 slasher
CTR 314 Delimber
Sthil 461
Sthil 250

Buck

glad to hear it. wasnt sure what I had. It has a damaged swing cylinder that is leaking. I need to find a whole assy I think and replace it. one side has been broken off and welded back on. Naturally that is the side that is leaking.

Corley5

Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

mad murdock

Nice looking old forwarder.  What's it got for power?
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

Autocar

Buck try going to [ Surpluscenter.com ] it is a great site for hoses, pumps and cylinders
Bill

Buck

MM...... ford...same motor as my 6610 ford tractor except with turbo.  Strong. Thanks I will check em out.

treefarmer87

my loader has a 4 cyl ford on it.
1994 Ford L9000
2004 Tigercat 718
1998 Barko 225
1999 John Deere 748G
FEC 1550 slasher
CTR 314 Delimber
Sthil 461
Sthil 250

saltydog

mine must be a little newer it has a cab screened on 3 sides and a john deere 4cyl turbo motor.or should i say had i put the motor in my c4 . easy to fix simple machine.they are very stable i backed mine (the rear tire)over a 3ft stump once never new it till i was hung up .

Buck

Dog, you got any pics of yours? Does you valve body have a float position on the valves for the swing and grapple swivel. This one is has a valve body that isnt original and I think may be causing me problems.

saltydog

ill try to get pics on . yes it has to have float on the swing and lift because loader is mounted in cab part of machine but rides in log bunk . turning would be impossible or would break swing on loader  .someone might have moved hoses on valves. and float is on wrong function .float valves look different than non floats.

Thank You Sponsors!