iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Off to court!

Started by Woodhauler, October 02, 2012, 05:47:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woodhauler

Got a ticket last summer for no fuel use decal! Cop said i could call and pay it, but guess what court says i have to appear! Nice i have to drive 100 miles and lose more work! But kinda glad i called cause the court said it was wrote out as falsifing a fuel use decal!  Kinda hard to falsify something you didn't have! I'm sure the fine will be bad if i can't get the judge to believe i didn't even have one on my truck! Reason i didn't know what it said is the copy i got was to faint to read! Only thing i can read is where the cop wrote over it in pen!
2013 westernstar tri-axle with 2015 rotobec elite 80 loader!Sold 2000 westernstar tractor with stairs air ride trailer and a 1985 huskybrute 175 T/L loader!

James Arsenault

Hope all goes well......as well as can be hoped for anyway.

The fact that it was written up for something completely different, a more serious offense than what actually happened and you expected, does not surprise me.

The carbon copy you get being illegible is no surprise either.

With all due respect to the very good, honest and hardworking law enforcement officers working alongside their lessers in law enforcement, I will say no more.

grassfed

I would not mind driving a truck but not with all of the paper work that they make you keep up with. In this day and age with the technology that is available they could make the whole system electronic and leave the drivers out of it completely.  Drivers spend hundreds of thousands of unpaid man hours (or more) complying with the paperwork.
Mike

forest.c

forest.c

thecfarm

Good luck and bring the ticket with you.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

barbender

Sometimes you get lucky, if they make an error it might get thrown out. Some judges can be surprisingly lenient, I hope you get one of those ;)
Too many irons in the fire

Sixacresand

Using the Barney Fife philosophy, If you let them get away with not have a decal, then they will drive  46 in a 45 mph zone.
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

clww

Good luck to you, Woodhauler.
Ironically, the wife and I have a court date this afternoon, in VA Beach. I had some left over old deck wood in my driveway for more than two weeks. The code enforcement bureaucrat cited me for this horrible crime. I'm hopeful I can see a judge with some common sense. We shall see. 
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

Woodhauler

Just got back, judge was amazed that i plead guilty! She asked if i understood the 7 minute movie we watched about how to plead! I said i am guilty and need to get back to work! I would say out of 50 or so people there, 10 may have had a job!!! 250 dollar vfine with a 60DOLLAR COURT CHARGE!!!!  :D
2013 westernstar tri-axle with 2015 rotobec elite 80 loader!Sold 2000 westernstar tractor with stairs air ride trailer and a 1985 huskybrute 175 T/L loader!

Ron Scott

Why did you plead guilty if the ticket was in error, unreadable, and you weren't guilty of the erroneous charge ??
~Ron

Woodhauler

Because it was worded right! They have several different ways of wording that voffense. Also i can't lose many 1000$$$ days hauling wood over a 250 dollar fine! I WAS GUILTY!

Mooseherder

I'm on the road everyday and see aggressive enforcement by the DOT in our area.  They seem to leave the long distance truckers alone and target commercial vehicles that aren't the bigger rigs.  It borders on harassment in my book.  Most stops appear to be local business trucks trying to make a living.

ashes

Quote from: Woodhauler on October 02, 2012, 12:42:41 PM
I would say out of 50 or so people there, 10 may have had a job!!!

It is easier to get into trouble if you don't have a job occupying most of your day.  ;)

WDH

You are an honest man, Woodhauler.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

barbender

I'm glad you could suck it up and move on, get back hauling. And yes, the DOT's tactics border cross the line of harrasment, there is no reason they should be able to pull trucks over unless they have a visible violation, same as a passenver vehicle. I've seen them pull over conrete mixer trucks with a load on, do an inspection that took an hour. I don't know who they answer too, it sure isn't us.

Okrafarmer

Quote from: barbender on October 02, 2012, 10:59:34 PM
I'm glad you could suck it up and move on, get back hauling. And yes, the DOT's tactics border cross the line of harrasment, there is no reason they should be able to pull trucks over unless they have a visible violation, same as a passenver vehicle. I've seen them pull over conrete mixer trucks with a load on, do an inspection that took an hour. I don't know who they answer too, it sure isn't us.

The next time they pull me over for a "routine" traffic stop, I've decided I'm going to pull the 4th ammendment on them. When he asks if he can inspect the vehicle, I will say "Officer, if you choose to inspect this vehicle, it will be without my consent." I don't really care what the outcome, even if I spend the night in jail and lose my license, I'm tired of the harassment, too. They get me in the dump truck sometimes, which is under CDL level, and I don't have a CDL.

"Routine" traffic stops are counter to the 4th amendment, especially for private vehicles. But I have had a lawyer tell me that it applies to commercial vehicles as well.
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

repmma

I would think after driving to the court and setting around waiting for your case that the actual "trial" would have been a minor portion.  $310 in your pocket is better than lost time AND $310 to the state.
Thomas 8020, Timberjack 225C, Ford 5030 with Norse 450 winch, stihl saws and 142 acres to manage.

barbender

IOkra, my understanding is the whether or not a vehicle is commercial isn't dependent on the weight it is licensed for, but whether it is used for commercial purposes. A truck that is licensed for under 26K but is used for commercial purposes requires a commercial class "C" license. The last company I worked for, a one ton pickup required daily inspection logs and a commercial license with a health card. I hear you on the harrassment for sure, though. The only reason they get away with random roadside checks is that the trucking industries haven't beat the DOT's in court, even drunks got out of random roadside checks after people got sick of getting treated like criminals and stood up for their 4th amendment rights.(I mean the random citizens that had to pass through the roadblocks, I don't have any sympathy for the drunks)

NWP

My big truck has log truck plates on it.  In MO it allows you to weigh more on secondary roads than the interstate.  Why?  I have no idea.  I can weigh a lot more on a crappy chip and seal road than on an 18" thick concrete road.  But the point is, every DOT guy that has pulled me over has told me different amounts I can legally weigh on the interstate with my tag axle down.  I thought about telling the next one that I was going to record his conversation with me for future reference.  My wife didn't think that was a good idea as the guy would probably go through the truck by the book with a fine tooth comb.  She's probably right, I haven't recorded anything.
1999 Blockbuster 2222, 1997 Duratech HD10, 2021 Kubota SVL97-2, 2011 Case SV250, 2000 Case 1845C, 2004 Case 621D, John Deere 540A, 2011 Freightliner with Prentice 120C, 2012 Chevrolet, 1997 GMC bucket truck, several trailers, and Stihl saws.

Woodhauler

::)
Quote from: repmma on October 03, 2012, 06:45:07 AM
I would think after driving to the court and setting around waiting for your case that the actual "trial" would have been a minor portion.  $310 in your pocket is better than lost time AND $310 to the state.
Well in order to go to trial, you need to plead not guilty and then get a court date to reappear! another 1000 dollar day gone to fight something i was guilty of?????????? 

snowstorm

for those of you that dont know what a fuel sticker costs in maine. its $6.00

Mooseherder

I guess it's not enough that they make 41 cents on each gallon. :D

repmma

I gotcha, not real up on the court process!  State will get it one way or another... and keep on getting it.  I just got some crap about claiming unpaid "use tax" for the past three years.  Trying to get their "DUE" for online purchases i guess.  Crooks.
Thomas 8020, Timberjack 225C, Ford 5030 with Norse 450 winch, stihl saws and 142 acres to manage.

Okrafarmer

Here, at least, you can drive a truck up to 25,999 gvw with a class D license and a health card. That's what I do. That also allows you to pull a trailer up to 9,999 lbs. Bumper pull trailers do not require registration or plate down here. There is some debate as to whether you can pull a trailer, and have the entire weight of the vehicle be more than your gvw. I got away with it once, and the cop agreed with me, but my boss got busted once and they insisted the weight of the trailer was included in the total. Just goes to show how the cops can't always get it straight, and so how are we supposed to keep it all straight?
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

redprospector

Quote from: barbender on October 03, 2012, 01:34:19 PM
IOkra, my understanding is the whether or not a vehicle is commercial isn't dependent on the weight it is licensed for, but whether it is used for commercial purposes.

What makes me mad is the inconsistancy that is used.
If I deliver a cord of firewood in a pickup, it can be considered commercial. But yet countless real estate agents are cheufering clients around trying to sell property (with signs stuck to their vehicles advertising the company they work for), and they are not considered commercial.  >:(

Andy
1996 Timber King B-20 with 14' extension, Morgan Mini Scragg Mill, Fastline Band Scragg Mill (project), 1973 JD 440-b skidder, 2008 Bobcat T-320 with buckets, grapple, auger, Tushogg mulching head, etc., 2006 Fecon FTX-90L with Bull Hog 74SS head, 1994 Vermeer 1250 BC Chipper. A bunch of chainsaws.

Thank You Sponsors!