iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

MS 250/250C/270C/270CQS?

Started by PowerNewbie, October 04, 2004, 09:41:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PowerNewbie

I recently moved to 5 acres. The land is full of brush, manzanitas, small oaks and some pine. I decided I need a chainsaw to help clear it out. I just got a Stihl FS 110 brushcutter and I love it. (Too bad they can't figure out how to make a saw with the 4-Mix engine.)

I thought I had decided on a Stihl MS 250C, but now I'm kind of leaning toward the MS270C or CQS. I don't plan on felling (or falling?) any trees over about 8 inches. I will probably use it heavily for a few days, then infrequently after that. But I might move again, and would need to cut firewood if I do, a couple of cords a year.

Any suggestions? Anyone have any experience with the QS braking system? Is is worth the extra $$ and weight?

Thanks in advance.

P.S. I plan to use all the safety equipment I can - already ordered Labonville deluxe chaps. Oh yeah, that brings up another question. I usually get my safety glasses sweated up first thing. I see that Stihl has a new "Eurostyle" helmet with a clear plastic face screen with wire mesh on the sides. Is this any good? Do you still have to wear glasses underneath?

jokers

Hi PowerNewbie,

If you have your heart set on the 270 I`m sure that I won`t disuade you, however the 250 is more than enough saw for what you propose. I also happen to like it better and in the case of the 270, why buy the chassis(weight) of the more powerful ms280 without the performance?

Opt for the non- "C" model if possible. Skip the QS also. Invest the money saved in PPE (as you have already started with the chaps) and work with deliberate, safety minded forethought until it becomes second nature.

Because of liabilty, manufacturers won`t tell you that you don`t need a solid lens covering your eyes when running a saw. Keep your chain sharp so that the chips are large and a screen works just fine. Also work, whenever you can, so the chips aren`t flying in your face anyway. For a screen you can either go with one of the screen systems offered by Stihl or another saw manufacturer or try something like Bugz Eyes from Bailey`s for example.

Russ

DanManofStihl

For stuff under 8 inchs i usually just use my sithl ms 180 it does the job just fine it is also very light weight and ea to manuver. I would say to go with the ms 250 it has a long standard of being a good homw owner saw ither that or a ms 290 or ms 260. Both are good
Two Things in life to be proud of a good wife and a good saw.

Kevin

I always wear solid clear safety glasses under the screen because the screen is a little too coarse and particles will get through it.
There's a lot to tree felling, there is a science involved and many unseen hazards to the untrained and even trained eye.
Take a course, you won't be sorry.

SasquatchMan

Agree with the recomendation of the 250.  I have a 290 and it's fine, but a bit heavy for all day use.  To do again Imight go to the 280, but I'm cutting somewhat larger wood than it sounds like you will be.

Kevin is right - make sure you know what you're doing before you go choppin.  I was brand new at this a year ago, and have had a lot of info off this forum and others, and had the good luck to know a very experienced feller, who showed me on a few trees what I should be trying to do.
My only non-performer was a tree that i was going to fell one way, then changed my mind (after notching), and renotched it facing another way (higher on the tree) and the new notch tore out cuz I'd weakened the tree.  Tree still went down where I wanted it, because of a wall of trees beside it to guide it down, but it still scared the hell out of me cuz it moved WAY before I wanted it too.   Newby mistake.

The number of stumps I see out in the forest which indicate that the firewooders had NO idea how to directionally take down a tree is really scary.  
Senior Member?  That's funny.

Bushwhacker

The MS250 is a good running saw all right. I'm just getting mine broke in and I really like the thing. I've been cutting dry mesquete 12 -14 inch round and smaller now. 8"stuff is a breeze for it.
 Don't have any idea about the longivity of one though. Seems most of what I've read here and other forums is pretty kind to the 250. When I put the 460 back to the mill, the 250 will get a good workout cutting stuff to mill. Good Luck and stay safe
KLH

PowerNewbie

This is a great forum!

Thanks for the input guys. You convinced me that I don't need to spend the extra bucks on the 270, so I'm off to buy the 250. Chaps should arrive from Madsen's tomorrow.

A friend came over with his Husky and showed me some basics (and cut a larger diameter tree for me). He hit some metal and dulled his blade, so I'll replace it for him.

As far as classes, I am going to check the local community college. I also heard either the Forest Service or Cal Dept of Forestry (CDF) might also have classes.

DanManofStihl

Be real careful out their better safe then sorry saws can be fun cough my 066 magnum cough lol just kidding have fun and be safe.
Two Things in life to be proud of a good wife and a good saw.

Thank You Sponsors!