iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Gearmatic 9 winch

Started by Matthewa, February 26, 2019, 06:59:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matthewa

I have a case 350 with a gearmatic 9 that i use to pull wood with for personal use.  The other day it stopped pulling and when I removed the cover to expose the bands i found that the cylinder that actuates the bands had gone beyond its normal travel and let all the fluid out of the control unit.  It looks like the thin band on the inside of the drum slid under the stop and allowed the cylinder to travel too far.  Looks like i need new bands for this unit.
In trying to figure out how this thing works I came up with 2 questions

1. When the control unit handle is pushed forward the brake is released.  The bands on the outside of the drum look like the brake.  When the handle is pushed the other way it winches in.  When winching in,what releases the brakes that hold the drum? 

2.The inner bands I believe are the clutch bands.  The cylinder actuates on one end of  thinner of the 2 inner bands.  The other end of that band seems to rest again a stop that holds the cylinder.
What actuates the thicker clutch band inside the drum.

When i took this apart it was full of brake fluid and clutch material it looked like mud.  Now that i am cleaning things up i would like to better understand how it works. 

I am going to try to make this thing work for the remainder of the winter or until i have enough wood pulled out to my sawmill to build a garage.  It would be nice to go through this thing in a heated shop!

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Gary Davis

the clutch is on the inside and on my 8 I pull the handle it pushes the clutch against the inside of the drum and it reals in when you release the brake holds automatically until you push the handle forward then it will release the brake , the brake only holds in one direction ,I think the 9 has a primary and secondary brake and clutch , the primary activates the secondary , 

Highhood

When I rebuilt my 8A I found online that Paccar(I think) bought out  Gearmatic and they have a pretty good archive of manuals for the winches. I didn't see the 8 listed but called them and they emailed me a link to my manual that had a full operation description and drawings showing every part plus band adjustments. If I recall there is a primary clutch part that starts the drum rotating and then that triggers the secondary. The brake band releases when the clutch is engaged. If you see a lot of hydraulic fluid in there, the small brake style cylinders probably need rebuilt. The clutch and brake band friction material is bonded to the metal bands but when I removed mine they had all separated. Water seems to be the enemy of these winches so I keep a tarp over mine now after fixing. 

Matthewa

Thanks for the reply's. This winch really could use an overhaul but for now I plan on replacing the 2 bearings that are bad and cleaning up the bands and flipping the clutch band over in hopes it doesn't slide under the stop again.  

If someone could explain how the primary clutch engages the secondary I would be interested in understanding that a little better.  Thanks again

Thank You Sponsors!