iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New Saw Husky 555 or 562XP ?

Started by John Mc, July 16, 2018, 11:08:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

John Mc

My trusty Husky 357XP is having problems and it's probably time to replace it (I bought it used some years ago, so it really doesn't owe me anything). That and my Jonsered 2152 (sister saw to a Husky 353) have been my most heavily used saws in recent years.

I've been debating between the 555, the 562XP and the Stihl 362C-M. Good dealers for both Husky and Stihl in my area (Husky one might have a slightly better service dept). I lean toward the Husky, since my impression is that they've worked out a few more of the bugs in their autotune for these saws, and it seems they are more committed to making upgrades available as retrofits when they make a design revision. The advantage of the Stihl is it's lighter weight (at least on paper - is it actually that much lighter in real life?).

If I'm not mistaken, the 555 could use the same bars and chains as my 357XP (I have several bars in good shape), where the 562XP (and the Stihl) would mean I have no use for those bars (since I'm not going to run 3/8" pitch on my 2152).

IF there were a good reason to spend it, I don't mind springing for the extra $100 for 562XP over the 555. However, I'm thinking I won't miss the extra 0.4 HP of the 562XP. I'm not doing this for a living, the "rev boost" for limbing on the 562 really is not all that exciting to me

I'm cutting hardwoods, generally thinning stands and taking what I cut for firewood. Occasionally I'll grab a few sawlogs for a project. Mostly less than 16" diameter, so this saw would be wearing a 16" bar most of the time.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

John Mc

I'm aware that there have been some design improvements to the 562XP (and possibly the 555?) over the course of the model life. Are there certain things I should be looking for in changes on the saw or a "no older than" date of manufacture I should be looking for? (I could also use a refresher in reading husky date codes - it's been a while since I've even looked at them.)

I will be asking the dealer to make sure the saw has the most recent software updates.

If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

HolmenTree

John I know you made a typo with the 462XP. But you might just want to wait a bit longer for the MS462. 
72cc lighter then the 60cc 562XP and all the saw you will ever need for not much more cost.
But if your already setup with Huskies you probably want to stick with them for the bar chain interchangibility.
I've had good luck with my 2012 562XP. It just won't run right in hot weather. The Stihls don't miss a beat.
Husqvarna serial #: first 4 numbers is year next 2 are week of production last numbers are production run unit number.
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

John Mc

Thanks, Willard. I corrected the model number in the title of my posts.

Any idea when that MS462 is coming out?

I saw mention of it in another thread here, but the $1500 price mentioned had me crossing it off my list. That was a price in Switzerland. The US price would have to be significantly lower for me to consider it.

I'm also hesitant to jump on an early release of a major redesign, but if it comes out in the near future and for a price more in my range, I'll certainly take a look.

teakwood

Quote from: John Mc on July 16, 2018, 01:20:27 PMI saw mention of it in another thread here, but the $1500 price mentioned had me crossing it off my list. That was a price in Switzerland

That was me who wrote that. the US price will certainly be a lot cheaper. Switzerland has the steepest prices on a lot of things, they also have the best income per person, so that's why. Average salary in Switzerland is 6k/month

If we drive 30min form my former hometown we can buy everything cheaper in Germany or Austria!

The saw was released in Europe in the beginning of 2018
National Stihl Timbersports Champion Costa Rica 2018

celliott

If you could still find a new one, I'd recommend the jonsered 2260. Basically a small mount 562. I think the small mount saws with the low air filter feel more nimble than the 562. On paper weight difference? Not much but the "feel" is different IMO. You'd probably be real pleased with the 555, plus B+C interchangeability is a plus.
My 2260 wore a 16" for quite a while and I did really like it, I swapped to an 18" when I was cutting spruce this winter.
Chris Elliott

Clark 666C cable skidder
Husqvarna and Jonsered pro saws
265rx clearing saw
Professional maple tubing installer and maple sugaring worker, part time logger

John Mc

Quote from: celliott on July 16, 2018, 08:55:42 PM
If you could still find a new one, I'd recommend the jonsered 2260. Basically a small mount 562. I think the small mount saws with the low air filter feel more nimble than the 562. On paper weight difference? Not much but the "feel" is different IMO. You'd probably be real pleased with the 555, plus B+C interchangeability is a plus.
My 2260 wore a 16" for quite a while and I did really like it, I swapped to an 18" when I was cutting spruce this winter.
The last remaining Jonsered dealer in my area was the TSC in Shelburne, VT, and they only carried the lower-end saws. I was sorry to see the Jonsered line go.  I wish the Husky 560XP was available in the US.

Skeans1

We own both a 562W and a 555 the only things I've done is swap the falling dawgs to PNW style and a 32" bar.

Thank You Sponsors!