iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

RIBS !!!

Started by sandsawmill14, March 16, 2017, 09:58:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sandsawmill14

first bbq of the year for me at least 8)

mustard coating before the rub

rub on ready to go in the fridge overnight

bout 5 1/2-6 hrs at 200-225* with heavy hickory smoke ;D

ready to go to dads for supper for his 70th birthday musteat_1 digin_2 digin1 ;D :D

hudson 228, lucky knuckleboom,stihl 038 064 441 magnum

Chuck White

They really look tasty!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Weekend_Sawyer

WAIT!!!!

Tell us about the rub.

... it's important.

Jon
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

drobertson

only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

sandsawmill14

they turned out really good except for a little tougher than i hoped  :) they wernt tough but not just fall apart tender either  :)
far as the rub its a secret recipe  ;D i dont even know it  :D  i make it from scratch and i reckon im not smart enough to write it down smiley_dizzy smiley_furious3
but the ingredients are salt, brown sugar, powdered mustard, black pepper,  cayenne pepper, and a very small amount of onion powder, cumin and chili powder
thats the best i can do for the rub recipe i make it fresh every time and just keep adding a little of this and that until it taste good to me :) but i can tell you for certain if it dont  taste good in the mxing bowl it wont taste good on the ribs ;) :D :D :D

sandsawmill14

i also put a vinegar sauce on them as they cook to help keep them moist :)

Raider Bill

Do you pull the membrane?
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

sandsawmill14

yes  i pull the membrane  :) i have never cooked any without pulling the membrane so i dont know if its necessary or not but if it aint broke dont fix it  ;D

coxy

ok call me dumb  but what are you talking about membrane  ??? ??? :)

Ljohnsaw

Quote from: coxy on March 17, 2017, 07:49:55 PM
ok call me dumb  but what are you talking about membrane  ??? ??? :)
Its a clear, very thin "skin" on the inside of the ribs.  If you leave it on, it is supposed to inhibit the smoke from penetrating well (so I was told).  It also makes for a little toughness to the meat.  It is a bit of a challenge to remove.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Magicman

It's often referred to as "white skin".
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

coxy

thanks never new that

Weekend_Sawyer

I have never pulled the membrane, my ribs come out superfantasitc!

Jon

Raider Bill

Quote from: Weekend_Sawyer on March 20, 2017, 08:36:54 AM
I have never pulled the membrane, my ribs come out superfantasitc!

Jon

Jon, Try it.... 

I use a set of bullhead pliers, pulls right off.

Weekend_Sawyer

Normally I wouldn't bother but for you my friend I'll give it a try.

Weekend_Sawyer

I just looked up Bullhead pliers, AKA catfish skiners. pretty cool.

Raider Bill

Quote from: Weekend_Sawyer on March 20, 2017, 09:42:30 AM
I just looked up Bullhead pliers, AKA catfish skiners. pretty cool.

I started out as a Yankee  :D :D

caveman

A dry napkin or paper towel will give a pretty good grip to the epithelium if you don't have catfish skinners.
Caveman

drobertson

Surprisingly the last three I did the membrane was already off, but when not I use a 4" vise grip and paper towels,
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

caveman

I smoked a few slabs this afternoon.  One was given to the neighbors across the road and we had two for supper along with a few brisket bones I had in the freezer.  They were edible.  A few posts ago there was discourse about pulling the epithelium before cooking ribs.  I mentioned that a paper towel makes quick work of this task.  I took a picture while pulling the membrane today.

These were cooked for 1.5 hours at 250-275°F then wrapped in foil and left on the grill for another hour and a half. 
Caveman

Savannahdan

Yum!  Looks like I need to get some ribs and fire up the grill.  BTW, I use to try just cutting the epithelium along the meat line and that didn't work very good.  Best to peel it off completely.
Husqvarna 3120XP, Makita DCS7901 Chainsaw, 30" & 56" Granberg Chain Saw Mill, Logosol M8 Farmers Mill

drobertson

Cave, them look perfectly cooked! Wow, you have to be a pitmaster,

caveman

Thanks for the compliments.  Just finished some leftovers for lunch.  I am no pit-master competitive grilling guru, I just try to adhere to the basics a friend of mine showed me several years ago.   
Caveman

sandsawmill14

looks real good caveman smiley_thumbsup

Thank You Sponsors!