iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Tired of Buying Ice

Started by POSTON WIDEHEAD, May 09, 2018, 08:43:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

We drink tap water here that has been through a Brita pitcher to remove the Chlorine taste/smell.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

blackfoot griz

Quote from: Magicman on May 11, 2018, 05:45:01 PM
We drink tap water here that has been through a Brita pitcher to remove the Chlorine taste/smell.

I use a Brita as well. I always have a Yeti-style SS cup iced up and ready to go.  MM do you have city/municipal water at your place? I would have bet you had a well.

WDH

This child drinks well water :)
Maybe that is why I am stunted.  Not physically, just mentally  :D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Dave Shepard

I have great well water. The farm has excellent spring water. I've been drinking out of hoses all my life. 
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Sheepkeeper

Another thing that bothers me about the proliferation of bottled water is the number of bottles that I see in recycling bins that still have water in them. Sometimes as much as half full. It gets warm and people don't want to drink it so they toss it and go grab another cold one from the fridge. Doubly wasteful.
The hurry-er I go the behind-er I get.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: WDH on May 11, 2018, 08:39:30 PM
This child drinks well water :).  
Maybe that is why I am stunted.  Not physically, just mentally  :D.
Thats why you wear a Helmet, use Crayons and Lick Air.  :D :D :D :D :D
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Magicman

Quote from: blackfoot griz on May 11, 2018, 08:36:34 PMMM do you have city/municipal water at your place? I would have bet you had a well.

Here at home we have municipal water, but I also have a well.  At the Cabin we are hooked up to a Rural Water Assn.  Growing up we had a dug cistern and drank rainwater.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Chuck White

We have a 1¼ inch water line gravity flowing from our spring on the hillside in the pasture, right into my cellar and the water pump!  :)

The water pump is only used for "pressure" for the shower, washer & toilet!  Other than that, we don't really NEED the pump, but we do use it! ;)

We have a "whole-house" water filter in the cellar and the cartridges typically last 6-8 months, but they will actually last longer!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

POSTON WIDEHEAD

I like your set up Chuck! 👍

Magicman

I like the setup idea but tell me about Winter water.  The pipe has to be deep and what keeps the spring thawed? 

PAmizerman

Springs don't freeze because the water coming up out of the ground is usually around 50 degrees? I believe.
I've never seen a spring freeze.
Think geothermal.
Woodmizer lt40 super remote 42hp Kubota diesel. Accuset II
Hydraulics everywhere
Woodmizer edger 26hp cat diesel
Traverse 6035 telehandler
Case 95xt skidloader
http://byrnemillwork.com/
WM bms250 sharpener
WM bmt250 setter
and a lot of back breaking work!!

PAmizerman

Chuck. Do you have a springhouse?
Woodmizer lt40 super remote 42hp Kubota diesel. Accuset II
Hydraulics everywhere
Woodmizer edger 26hp cat diesel
Traverse 6035 telehandler
Case 95xt skidloader
http://byrnemillwork.com/
WM bms250 sharpener
WM bmt250 setter
and a lot of back breaking work!!

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Spring water around here is at 54 degrees year round. 

21incher

Chuck when l was young a friend of my dad had a setup like yours except he built a big overflow tank and used that to keep fish in that they caught. They could always go down in the basement and scoop out a live fish for a meal year round. They used it to keep their beer cool also. :)
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

WDH

Spring Water is something that you get when you visit Raider Bill in the mountains of Tennessee sitting on his porch.  It comes in a glass with ice :).
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Chuck White

I have three 36" diameter tiles 36" long, and a 250# cast concrete lid on top, most of it is in the ground, only about two feet is above ground, there's about 4½-5 feet of water in it!

The water line to the house is about 1½ feet above the bottom of the spring and about 3 feet above that is the overflow line which runs year round into an old bathtub about 150 feet from the spring, it's used for watering cattle! NOTE:  It's very likely that a lot of Amish men will be drinking from that waterline, this next Tuesday!  They are having a "barn raising" and are expecting somewhere around 100 men to show up!

The line running to the house is buried between 4 & 6 feet crossing an agricultural field and comes into my house about one foot up from the cellar floor!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

PC-Urban-Sawyer

Quote from: WDH on May 13, 2018, 07:57:08 PM
Spring Water is something that you get when you visit Raider Bill in the mountains of Tennessee sitting on his porch.  It comes in a glass with ice :).
You'll find it right beside the glass of 'shine, neat...

Magicman

Thank you Chuck for that detailed description of your spring water system. 

At some point away from the spring the runoff has to freeze, or does it go into a creek that has enough flow that it runs year round?  

Please excuse the questions but I am still curious because our frost/freeze line is just below the grass roots.  My Cabin is on a rural water system and my 2" feed crosses underneath the road in an exposed drainage culvert.  :o 

Chuck White

The runoff from the old bathtub goes into a ditch that has running water in it year-round!  It might freeze over, but doesn't freeze solid!

Sometime during a typical Winter, the water going into the tub will start freezing, but the water will remain running and will become encased in a dome of ice, but that 1¼ inches of water is still running and on a calm day I can hear it running all the way from my house (150'), even though it's inside the ice!

Magicman

Ah, that is what I wanted to hear Chuck.  Thanks again for the description.  smiley_thumbsup

Raider Bill

Quote from: WDH on May 13, 2018, 07:57:08 PM
Spring Water is something that you get when you visit Raider Bill in the mountains of Tennessee sitting on his porch.  It comes in a glass with ice :).
Mine is the water that never freezes. We drink it straight from the freezer.Smooth
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

WV Sawmiller

We have a spring in the short draw/valley between the hillsides above my house. Many years ago the county went in an buried about a 4' long X 2' diameter concrete pipe with a solid bottom and a bunch of 1" holes for coarse filters. At the bottom was about a 6" section of metal pipe cast into the concrete pipe. The pipe was buried standing up with the metal pipe facing downhill. The water seeped into the pipe through the holes and there was a square, removable concrete cover about 2" thick. The homeowner at the time connected a flexible pipe to the pipe in the concrete. The spring is about 40' above the height of this house. The water was piped own to cinderblock spring house about 12'X 16'. The spring house was dug into the side of the mountain so it stayed cool. The water ran through an old sink where they kept big milk cans of fresh milk till they could be collected, used, or sold. The water was then piped on down to the house. I don't know if they ever had a filter on it or not as they had abandoned it and dug a 70' well in front of the springhouse. The pump still resides there in the old springhouse to keep it from freezing. The cinderblocks in the springhouse were filled with sawdust for insulation and old newspapers were used in the attic for the same purpose. The roof eventually leaked and wet the newspapers and we fed several generations of termites on the sawdust before I sealed the blocks and tore off, raised (One end touched the ground at the lowest corner) and replaced the roof. We still use it for storage for the water filter and the pump. I hooked into the original pipe extension on the concrete "filter" and ran the line down hill to an old bathtub for the stock to drink. The run-off from the bathtub is captured and routed through more pipe to another big, black plastic stock tank on the other side of a cross fence and the run off from it is finally piped to a ditch in my back yard.

I empty the leaves and mud out of the bathtub and stock tank every year or so and every several years I go clean out the old concrete pipe/filter at the head of the spring.

I don't see any evidence of a cistern to store water so I guess the gravity flow level off the spring was adequate for the families needs. We still have remote neighbors who use spring water systems although I think they run it through a filter system to prevent Giardia and such.

I really like the suggestion above about storing live fish in the cistern from the spring water for the family.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

thecfarm

I have a spring that I use to show shoe in to see if the deer had been there. That never freezes.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

luvmexfood

At our cabin We had a waterline laying on top of the ground from a spring up the holler. Plenty of pressure even with a bypass open so it would run a little to keep it from freezing. Small shower and if taking a hot shower in the winter with outside temp in the teens and accidentally bumped the hot water turning it down you sure got a cold suprise in a hurry.
Give me a new saw chain and I can find you a rock in a heartbeat.

Thank You Sponsors!