iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Assembly Procedure for Addition

Started by GRowdy, October 25, 2022, 02:16:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GRowdy

Hi all,

I've been perusing the forum for a number of months after finishing Will Beemer's Learn to Timber Frame, and in the course of planning my own humble structure I hit a snag I can't quite figure out. I want to add a small addition to one side of my frame, but I can't see how the joinery outlined could actually be assembled when it came time to raise. Normally the plates would be dropped on last to connect the bents together. But the joinery shown for the extension plate doesn't look like it can be done "last". There would be no way to finagle in the tenons for both the post and tie at the same time. And the tenons on the other ends of the post and tie prevent you from doing those sides last. I can't see how this would go together unless it were assembled floating in midair and then dropped onto the sill.

Any thoughts? I feel like I must be missing something obvious. Thanks!

Jim_Rogers

I believe you're talking about the short tie connecting the main frame to the additional external frame.
The simple solution is to lower that tie so that there isn't a three-way joint.
You put the short tie into the main frame and then assemble the exterior frame/wall as a unit and then tip that up to those short ties.
Reverse the short tie's brace to support the short tie off the back side of the main post. Just don't push the pegs in very tight so that the short tie can flex up or down a bit as the wall assembly is tipped up to meet it.

Do you see what I am talking about?
Will that work for you?

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

GRowdy

Quote from: Jim_Rogers on October 25, 2022, 02:29:47 PM
I believe you're talking about the short tie connecting the main frame to the additional external frame.
The simple solution is to lower that tie so that there isn't a three-way joint.
You put the short tie into the main frame and then assemble the exterior frame/wall as a unit and then tip that up to those short ties.
Reverse the short tie's brace to support the short tie off the back side of the main post. Just don't push the pegs in very tight so that the short tie can flex up or down a bit as the wall assembly is tipped up to meet it.

Do you see what I am talking about?
Will that work for you?

Jim Rogers
I do understand what you mean, and thank you! I was thinking the stub tenons on the post bottoms would prevent the kind of tipping you're describing, but they are pretty short so I can see how it would still work. I guess it's one of those things that would be obvious if I were actually standing there with all the pieces trying to put it together  lol

And wow, I can't believe it didn't occur to me that I could just move the tie down a bit and avoid the problem altogether! That definitely seems like an easy way out.

Thanks Jim  ;D

Jim_Rogers

When you watch some YouTube videos of bents being stood up on timber sills you'll sometimes see them take a commander over and tap the post so that it drops into a shallow mortise on the top of the sill.
It is fairly easy to do and should work for you.

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Thank You Sponsors!