iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Are you making anything for Christmas?

Started by katie-did, December 05, 2005, 10:17:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

katie-did

Are you guys making anything for Christmas?
I am so sick of trying to figure out what to get people for Christmas and I really HATE Christmas shopping (people are so rude).
So this year I decided to make everyone's Christmas. I started with the idea of turning pen and pencils for everyone last March. Well I have made many of them for people in the meantime. These are pictures of the ones that I have orders for as Christmas gifts.  I have not even started on the ones for the family which is the whole reason that I started turning, but I still have time. I will post those picture when I get them done. 
I just wanted to see that everyone else is doing maybe I can get some ideas for next year.
So what are you doing?  ???

I know they are a little small have not mastered that optimizing thing yet.
Part Timer's Boss & CFO smiley_angel01_halo

UNCLEBUCK

Those are some mighty fine looking christmas presents ! This is about my first year of not having time to make christmas presents for family members and friends.
UNCLEBUCK    bridge burner/bridge mender

Patty

I am sewing two giant 3' Annie dolls; one for my neice (her name is Annie, too) and one for my daughter-in-law. A girl is never too old for dolls. I also was inspired by Brian Bailey and am making a dog plaque for my friend. I hope to also make her a lap quilt, now that her dog is dead, she needs a quilt to keep her warm on the couch.

With any luck at all, I will get these all finished by Christmas.  smiley_christmas
Women are Angels.
And when someone breaks our wings....
We simply continue to fly ........
on a broomstick.....
We are flexible like that.

Jeff

Patty, Tammy used to make those all the time years ago. Not sure why she stopped. Probably because everybody we knew got a pair! (Annie and Andy) :)

Nice pen sets!
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

DonE911

Katie

Real nice pens.... I've always wanted to make one of those....hmmmmmm...  nope no lathe.

as for what I have to make fo this year...  Wife wants a horse barn ( thats not gonna get done this christmas) but I'm trying to get some picture frames done for some of the family members and a few small boxes too. 

With the thumb problems I may not get them done, but I've got some store bought back up if I need it.

bioguy

After a springtime blow last April, a friend gave me a big whack of spruce logs that came down in the storm. I sawed them up, and made a nativity jigsaw puzzle  for his kids out of one of the boards.  Kind of a neat keepsake from his own trees.

Dave
bioguy

Modat22

I can't do any wood working since I have my motor all over the place in the shop right now   :'( So I guess I'm making myself a bandsaw for christmas  :)
remember man that thy are dust.

Quartlow

Darn Katie,, nice pens. We are getting a collection of turners here.  8) 8) Unfortunatly I cna't even hardley get to my lathe right now I'm in flat work mode. 3 toy boxes, a pool cue rack and Maybe just maybe I'll get my sis wall unit done in time that I can install it over the holidays!!

Heres a few of the things I've turned
http://users.zoominternet.net/~rmickley/bowl.html
Breezewood 24 inch mill
Have a wooderful day!!

pigman

I am building a cherry bed, dresser and night stand  for my oldest daughter. Have the bed and nightstand complete except for finishing. Just started on the dresser. The great thing about building furniture for my children, I don't have to be concerned about pricing. ;)
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

Patty

The pen sets are very nice Katy.    ;)

Jeff,

Since my sons don't like dolls (and for that I am truley grateful) I have given several away. I love making them...putting the little faces on and making the tiny little clothes. My Gramma was a dollmaker and I guess I was inspired by her. I got away from it for many years when the boys were young, but I picked it back up again when they moved away.

Our new shop is almost done now...so next year look out!  8)
Women are Angels.
on a broomstick.....

Lud

Nice pens, Katie-did! :)

I don't hold much with Christmas cards,  so for the last 25 years,  I've made 2 to 3 dozen of the same item and deliver instead of sending a card.Good excuse for visiting and , hey,  if someone cares to offer a scotchrocks- I'd hate to hurt their feelings...........anyway,  I've always referred to these things as my Christmas doodads and it's been a challenge to have something different every year.

Some from over the years:

Minature moose heads ( 2piece oak ,  "Merry Chrsitmoose" woodburned on antlers)
Slate rectangle with pineapple stencilled on in 2 colors. stencil carved in rubber
etched  flat glass ornaments
Etched glass votive candle holders with hand scented  , hand poured candles
Santa door stops
Flat wood Christmas trees drilled with crazed marble ornamentsglued  to hole and backlit.
Santa hatted Newfoundland dog door hangers
wood blocks set of 4 spelling Christmas,. NOEL, etc.
bandsawed reindeer with branch antlers
bandsawed "NOEL"  that is 2nd cut on end in pine tree silhouette, Dk Grn with white dipped branchs
3" Christmas tree hand painted winecorks
Copper, leather, glass, ornaments

All of the above would have year clearly marked and signed.  One of my best friend's Moms pulls out the whole set year after year.......

this year ,  I'm doing Stars in thin cut wood off my new sawmill!! 

So ,  there's a few ideas that can get you brainstormin' for next year. ;) ;) ;)
Simplicity mill, Ford 1957 Golden Jubilee 841 Powermaster, 40x60 bankbarn, left-handed

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Burlkraft

Hey katie,

A nice looking whack of pens. I turned a bunch of spalted maple fruit bowls. Most were in the 12" X 8" range. Then I sent to my friend who has a gift basket business. She is then filling them with goodies and sending them out to all the folks on my list. I usually just have her send out baskets, but after knee sugery this year I had some time to do a bunch of turning. I have never tired pens, I've always been attracted to bigger stuff. You are obviously very good at pens. 8) 8)
Why not just 1 pain free day?

iain

Supposed to be making 6 more chairs to go with the two already made
same as last year
same as the year before ::)

iain

CHARLIE

I made brooches for all the wimmenz in my family this year.  I had a small birch (2" diameter trunk) that broke in half last winter in a windstorm. I cut it down and found it was beginning to spalt. I put a chunk of it on my lathe (held by a chuck) and turned the endgrain to a convex surface.  Sanded it smooth to 600 grit and finished it with CA glue. Then parted it of fairly thin. I then polish the finish and waxed it. Then glued a pin fastener on the back.  I'll try and post a picture later.

I'm also making a wooden rocking horse for my first grandchild (1½ years old) and spinning tops for my two oldest grandchildren.

My woodturning club donated 100 pens to be sent to our soldiers in Afghanistan and Iraq. I made 10 of those pens.  It makes me feel good that I may have put a smile on 10 of our soldier's faces this Christmas.     
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

UNCLEBUCK

Speaking of gifts to give to the men and women over in Iraq, I heard on my local radio yesterday that a huge group of deer hunters in the excellent state of Michigan had gave their deer venison and had it made into venison jerkey and shipped out to the soldiers . I thought I heard it wrong but I think it was like a 1/2 million pounds of jerkey donated . I thought that was very cool !
UNCLEBUCK    bridge burner/bridge mender

katie-did

Hey all! Sorry I have not been back on here I have been busy with the schools Christmas Store.
Patty – Those dolls sound really neat I sew too but do not have any girly girl that would even like a doll. My daughter never has played with dolls, Barbie but no dolls. So I have made some Barbie Clothes not the easiest thing in the world. Just bought a new machine last March but have been to busy with the pens I have not got to use it much. Thinking next year sewing is going to be the thing so I can stay nice and warm.
Jeff – The picture you are doing are just AWSOME could not ask for a nicer Christmas present getting the sprit going is the hardest part.
DonE – My lathe is nothing special it was $79.00 at a local box store works great for turning small things. Great for getting started. Good Luck on the barn.
Bio Guy – Making things out of a special tree is fun. Some of the pens I am doing are from a tree Part-Timer took down on a family's farm.
Quartlaw- Nice look work can't wait to get these pens done so that I can go back to turning bowls and stuff. A little more challenging I think.
Pigman – Wish I had the time and skills to build furniture I have so many ideas for the house.
Lud – I don't do Christmas cards for the people close around us either. I make candies every year and take to friends and neighbors. I think that everyone is going to be disappointed this year because I do not have the time to make all of it. I am hoping to get some done or at least some cookies so we can go visit. Your project sounds really nice. Got any Pictures?
Burlkraft – I have tried to turn some spalted stuff and it just dose not work for me any pointers? I too like turning bigger thing they give you a little more creativity and that is what I really enjoy.
Iain – Get with it. Just think about it if you make one a year you would almost be done by now.
Charlie – Saw them make some on DIY one day and thought that they we really neat pieces. I have been going to start saving special pieces and trying to make some. They also make ear rings and bracelets to match. Don't know if I have the skills to make the bracelets but the brooches and earring I could handle.
   The pens to Iraq - I thought about that cause Part-Timers bosses' son is over there and I could just send them to him and he could give them out.
Unclebuck – That is a great gift to send over to Iraq I know that they love stuff like that.
Thanks for all of your ideas! I just have to say like everyone else dose. WHERE ARE THE PICTURES! :)
Part Timer's Boss & CFO smiley_angel01_halo

ontario026

I'm still an amateur woodworker, but getting better all the time,  I am trying to make most of our presents this year as well. 

So far I have built:   

a fishing rod holder for my older brother who is a fishing guide in BC,

tv remote control caddy for my sister, 

a 4 ft long shelf/display plate rack for my inlaws, 

a shelf/snowboard holder w/ inset wallpaper border portraying a snowboarding theme for my little brother,

3 four piece puzzles (cat, dog, elephant, dinosaur) for some nieces and nephews

a toy car for another nephew

2 old school "climbing bear" toys for 2 nephews

A scroll saw 'portrait' of a "swamp scene portraying a turtle, grasshopper, reeds etc" for the wife

I'm running out of time though, 
I still have to build: a 4ft lighthouse for the shoreline at my parent's house on the St. Lawrence river

A pine chest my wife has been bugging me for ages to build for her

A fish tank table for my wife

A bunch of cd/dvd racks for some of the older neices/nephews.....

plus a bunch of ME items if I ever get around to them! 

Matthew

Burlkraft

Katie-did,

The trick to turning spalted is knowing the fine line between spalted and rotten :D :D :D

The pieces I used were from some maple logs that Plowboy sawed for me this fall. I got some great 4' X 30" table slabs and about 30 turning blocks. Out of the 30 about 12 were spalted and the rest were really soft. The soft stuff turns good, but the fruit rolls out the holes. I have had some gorgeous pieces that I just threw in the stove :'( :'( :'( :'(

I have used epoxy to save a few, but sometimes it's hardly worth the effort. You just end up turning epoxy.

Burlkraft

Patty

These are my two Annies so far. No clothes and no hair, the poor things. They'll be dressed and grow hair before you know it, and off to make my girl's smile. That is what Annies do best...put a smile on your face. :)
Women are Angels.
on a broomstick.....

Part_Timer

Burlkraft

That is some nice turning.  Did you also make the table.

Patty

Without that hair they kinda look like my dad ;D :D

Tom
Peterson 8" ATS.
The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.

Burlkraft

That's not just a table.............It's the island in our kitchen. I used the scraps from a couple of cabinet jobs I did. Curly cherry and curly maple. I tossed a chunk of B.E. Maple in the center for looks. smiley_grin_earmuff smiley_grin_earmuff smiley_grin_earmuff smiley_grin_earmuff

It works okay, but with all that curly wood we got a little movement trouble. The angles and the grain was probablly a poor chioce but it just looks so DanG good   8) 8) 8) 8)

sawwood

These are some of the turnings i have done and i think i will give a few
away to some of the family. I really need to git back to turning and
slow up on the sawmill.

Lester

Norwood M4 manual mill, Solar Kiln, Woodmaster
18" planer/molder

Burlkraft

Hey Sawwood,

Nice job on the turnings...............I see you like segments. You must have a lot of patients.

That's too much glue for me. I look like a kindergartner with a box of Kleenex and a bottle of c.a. glue when I try stuff like that. It usually takes me a week to get my hands back to normal :D :D :D

I just blew up a hollow form from a 3 way crotch. I soaked it in denatured alcohal for a couple of days and then gave it the paper bag treatment. It wasn't too out o'round and things were going well and then it just flew apart. When that happens I just turn out the lights and go back to the house.

Thank You Sponsors!