iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Totally Confused (quarter sawing question)

Started by EZ, October 22, 2003, 04:28:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EZ

On another site a guy post, If he would saw flat sawn boards in half, would they be considered Q-sawn. And everyone said yes. I always thought when you Q-sawed it was for the beauty of the grain and the stability of the board. But now after reading about these postings, I'm all screwed up.
EZ

Texas Ranger

Only the edge grain, the board doesn't change
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Tom

EZ,
Think "vertical grain".

Quarter sawed relates to a method of obtaining verical grain boards.

Go to this link- Wood Handbook -and look for the description of Quarter-sawed and flat-sawed in chapter 3-2.  It gives a pretty good explanation.

JoeyLowe

Hi EZ:

Tom would do well to post those pics on the woodweb board too.  What they guy was saying was that if he takes a center cut flatsawn board and removes the center of the board, would he end up with two quartersawn boards?  The answer is yes and no.  The only thing for sure is that he would definitely have three boards.  One of the boards would be flatsawn and the other two would be somewhere between quartersawn and riftsawn.
--
Joey Lowe

"Working towards perfection has to be a part of anything one does.  You've got to put yourself into it." ... Sam Maloof (chairmaker)

Jim_Rogers

I've heard it said that if an annual ring ends in one face and then the other end isn't in the same face it could be called quarter sawn, but for me that's a stretch. In other words take a flat sawn board and cut it down the middle would be quarter sawn.

It should be that both ends are in opposite wide faces, not an adjacent face regardless if it's wide or narrow.

Jim
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Tom

The example given in the Hand Book is a board cut from the very center of a log such that it includes the pith.   They consider that a Quartersawn board.  Y'all should really read the description because definitions as described in the Hand Book sure come in handy when you have to explain something to someone who is trying to be contrary. :D

fencerowphil (Phil L.)

It is easy to get confused.   I have noticed myself saying this:

"Take a look at the flakes in this nice quartersawn
        white oak and red oak." ::)

What I am really saying is that these boards have grain patterns, as if they were cut by the quarter sawing method, giving the vertical grain pattern.   Technically, a board can qualify as "vertical grain", if the growth rings cut through the face at an angle greater than 45degrees, on up to 90degrees.
As we have seen ourselves, however, the optimum ray patterns for Sycamore, and the oaks are visible when the growth  rings cut through at the perfect 90 degree angle.  Thanks to Tom for the end view sketches of the three main grain patterns.

Quarter sawing is something I, technically speaking, never do, but I do deliberately use methods at times to yield cants which can be sawn in such a way as to yield vertical grain boards.

So, the term "quarter-sawing" can indeed mean the method of quartering a tree, then alternately sawing off the two flat faces of each quarter, until gone.  When this is done, the boards are really sawn "quartersawn".  When I use the term, I should really be saying "vertical grain", since I plan for these slabs and cants in early cuts to produce the same result by a different means.

More good references:   :P
Understanding Wood   by Bruce Hoadley
The Encyclopedia of Wood  by  ? (I forget)

Phil L.
  P.S.  To make this even worse, the terms "quartersawn", "radial grain", "vertical grain", and   "edge grain", can all mean the same thing. The first two terms refer to how the board's position lies in a log.  The second two terms refer to how the grain looks, when you look at the end of the board.   :-/
Bi-VacAtional:  Piano tuner and sawyer.  (Use one to take a vacation from the other.) Have two Stihl 090s, one Stihl 075, Echo CS8000, Echo 346,  two Homely-ite 27AVs, Peterson 10" Swingblade Winch Production Frame, 36" and 54"Alaskan mills, and a sore back.

Tom

If you really want to complicate a conversation, the term vertical grain and edge grain is softwood terminology and quarter-sawn is a hardwood term.

A real smart fellow once told me that the purpose of language is to communicate.  If you didn't communicate then you just said a bunch of words. :P

fencerowphil (Phil L.)

Gosh, I was so confused about the oak,

that I must have ended up right,... in the first place

by,...   er...,  ACCIDENT!  
                                                 :D

Phil L.

Yabba, dabba, dooooo.   8)
Bi-VacAtional:  Piano tuner and sawyer.  (Use one to take a vacation from the other.) Have two Stihl 090s, one Stihl 075, Echo CS8000, Echo 346,  two Homely-ite 27AVs, Peterson 10" Swingblade Winch Production Frame, 36" and 54"Alaskan mills, and a sore back.

Minnesota_boy

Tom,
I thought the purpose of language was to obfuscate.  You know, words like secure, and insecure or flammable and inflamable.
I eat a high-fiber diet.  Lots of sawdust!

Tom

:D   I believe obfuscation is a social dilemma brought about by insecurity and ones' inability to believe in his own knowledge.  Another smart fellow once categorized this inability as being "educated beyond ones intelligence". :D

Minnesota_boy

Is that related to the Peter Principle?  The one that states that in any organization, one will be promoted to the level of one's incompetance?
I eat a high-fiber diet.  Lots of sawdust!

Brian_Bailey

Another term for quarter sawn is,"Standing Years"  :).
WMLT40HDG35, Nyle L-150 DH Kiln, now all I need is some logs and someone to do the work :)

mhasel

Tom,

Thanks so much for the pictures, which really helped me, I had the same question about quarter sawing the day they delivered my Woodmizer. It was explained and in the materials there was an article but it seemed to click tonight after reading and seeing this post.

As for the comment "educated beyond his intelligence" I couldn't agree more with that sometimes plus it doesn't hurt that is one of my dad's favorite descriptions:) Until today I hadn't heard many other people use it, pretty kool huh!!

Mike

Tom

Thanks Mike!    
:DYour dad must be a pretty smart fellow :D :D

ARKANSAWYER

Well DanG it!   I was going to rip all of my flat sawn boards in half and sell it as Qsawn lumber.   I have been having a problem with keeping the quarter on the mill when I saw to produce them qsawn boards.   Then yous start talking smart and I got confused and forgot what I was a doing.  Next Tom tells me I can not quarter saw my pine any more.   Iam going to bed.
ARKANSAWYER
ARKANSAWYER

EZ

Thanks Tom and all. For a moment I was way out of this world. Pretty simply once I got back to earth, maybe I should hear with my eyes instead of my mind. Thanks again.
EZ

oakiemac

Thanks Minnesota Boy for the defination of Peter principle! Boy howdy, is it prevalent in modern corporate America ;D
Mobile Demension sawmill, Bobcat 873 loader, 3 dry kilns and a long "to do" list.

fencerowphil (Phil L.)

Gosh,

I hope we never get into which version of the Bible
is our fave.

We'd be even hopelesser than we already are.

(Since "obfuscate" qualifies as a word, then "hopelesser" has to!)  
                   :D

Phil

Mark M

I always thought quarter sawed was when you charged 25 cents a board foot for sawing. :D

Mark

whitepe

And I thought flat sawn was when Bibbyman put the
recliner back on his Woodmizer operator's chair
and laid down flat while he was sawing.   :D
blue by day, orange by night and green in between

chet

I'm way off base. I  always thought flat sawn, was when your boards came off da mill nice and smooth with no wavies.   :-/
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

woodmills1

Nope quarter sawn is when your cutter says I got 4 of them done but theres 12 more left to do.!!
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

DanG

Ohhh! I see.  :P   I always thought it was when you were charging $250 mbf. ???
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

LSUNo1

Well for me its when I call my wife from the bar after finishing the job and she ask me how its going. I tell her I only got a quarter sawn.

Thank You Sponsors!