iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What doesKD red oak sell for?

Started by Oregon_Sawyer, November 04, 2003, 11:39:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oregon_Sawyer

I picked up some T&G cedar that I had milled today.  I was offered some KD red oak random width s2s for what seemed like a good price.  They said it would only make short clears, under six feet.  They don't run flooring and this sounded like what it should be made into.  The units run from 8 to 14 ft long.  The price they quoted me was 1300 / thousand.

As red oak is not a native Oregon wood I don't know if this is a good price or not.

Thanks
Loren
Sawing with a WM since 98. LT 70 42hp Kubota walk behind. 518 Skidder. Ramey Log Loader. Serious part-timer. Western Red Cedar and Doug Fir.  Teamster Truck Driver 4 days a week.

BBTom

That sounds like a good price for northern RO shorts,  I get $1.58 for mine, when I can keep them in stock.  I sell most of my shorts to cabinet makers.  
2001 LT40HDD42RA with lubemizer, debarker, laser, accuset. Retired, but building a new shop and home in Missouri.

solidwoods

If you can pick the boards it should be a fair/good price , since they are not graded.
These boards are not shorts.  The pieces they will make are not short.  6' clear is a nice set of lumber.  Since they are not graded
JIM
Ret. US Army
Kasco II B Band mill
Woodworking since 83
I mill & kiln dry lumber, build custom furniture, artworks, flooring, etc.
If you mill, you'll be interested in some of my work in one way or another.
We ship from our showroom.
N. Central TN.

JoeyLowe

;D  $1300 is a good price.  Remember though, it really depends on the market.  For instance, I recently sold a green rough cut red oak board measuring 3" x 20" x 12' for $825.00 (US).  The buyer made me an offer I couldn't refuse.
--
Joey Lowe

"Working towards perfection has to be a part of anything one does.  You've got to put yourself into it." ... Sam Maloof (chairmaker)

Tom

One of my old customers called me last night to tell me about some of his latest escapades.  One is in progress and is a Red Oak stair case.  He has been shopping Red Oak in the lumber houses here that the cabinet makers use.  The best price he was able to come up with was $8 and change a board foot for rough cut kiln dried.

He went to Lowes and got S4S for $7 and change after they knocked 10% off after  matching his lowest price he got elswhere.

This isn't green sawmill lumber but it may give you an idea of prices.

Flurida_BlackCreek

Hi ya'll, new to the forum.

Oregon,
Sounds like a good price. Down here KD appl RO #1C rough runs around 1300m and KD Northern RO #1C rough runs around 1600m. These are bundle prices and the prices fluctuate from week to week or month to month depending on which company you're dealing with.

FAS  S3S is about a buck a bf higher.

Tom,
I hope your customer got a hug and a kiss with that.  :)

Have a good day.
I'm happy anywhere south of the mason-dixon line.
-- cdb

Tom

I think he must have, Black Creek.  He seemed awful happy that he had gotten such a good deal.  :D

Thank You Sponsors!