iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

LT35HD LT40HD

Started by DDobbs, October 18, 2015, 11:23:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DDobbs

I am thinking of upgrading to a LT35HD.

How is the 25hp on fuel?

What I have read the new style debarker is doing well?

Bolt pattern on the axle? Is it 5 on 4½"?

I will be sawing alot of Walnut, Poplar, Maple and a bit of Oak.

Maybe a few saw jobs. I will be 55 and done with my real job in a few weeks. 8) 8) 8)

Thanks
Dave

EZ Boardwalk 40
Ez Boradwalk Jr.sold 11/7/2015
Stihl 650 Stihl 290

Magicman

Congrats on the "retirement".   8)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

DDobbs

EZ Boardwalk 40
Stihl 650 Stihl 290

Kbeitz

So much for the 8 hour days.
Now the pace picks up. Time to get busy...
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

DDobbs

Quote from: Kbeitz on October 18, 2015, 05:17:00 PM
So much for the 8 hour days.
Now the pace picks up. Time to get busy...

I hear ya. I have not worked  for the last 4 years.
So I kinda have my feet wet already..... Lol

EZ Boardwalk 40
Stihl 650 Stihl 290

WV Sawmiller

DD,

I got mine in January and have a little over 130 hours on it. (Lost the first month due to snow). I have been very happy with mine. I saw mostly poplar but have sawed maple, hickory, locust, walnut, cherry, oak (red and white), buckeye, hemlock, spruce, red cedar, and likely some others that don't come to mind.

My mill came with 5 bolt axle pattern.  (I am unclear where to measure to determine the distance but let me know where you want me to measure and I'll check that for you tomorrow.) I bought the spare tire from WM and it came with an ST215/75R14 Goodyear/Marathon tire. I'd guess I typically run a 5 gallon tank for 7-8 hours. (I know I ran 6.5 hours of steady sawing on red oak without a refill). I am happy with the performance of the debarker. The breaker on the debarker trips fairly often but I'd say that is because I am not diligent enough about monitoring the pressure one it - at least it protects the motor well and is simple to reset. (I'd say if I started at the big end on every log, unless I hit a big knot or something I would never trip it).

I have cut up to 2X12X20'6" framing lumber. You have to be real careful to stay between the marks on the mill but it works fine even at that length. I cut some 2X8X20 oak a couple weeks back and they were true and works of art.

The hydraulics work well even with the biggest logs/cants I have loaded but be careful not to use them with the head moving or you will have arcing and create a dead spot on the power strip. I'd rather the hydraulics worked anywhere for those times I get halfway down the log and realize I didn't lower the clamp or dogs enough and have to back up but that happens less and less now that I have more experience under my belt.

My support for WM has been first rate and usually due to my ignorance. Minor warranty issues have occurred and have been addressed immediately and with complete satisfaction.

If you have specific questions let me know and I'll address them the best I can.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Tree Dan

I had a hd-35 and it worked well, good on fuel.
I then upgraded to the lt 40, the hyd system is about the same, but the head section is more robust than the 35.
The 35 has less clearence between guides.
I do like the 40 much better than the 35, but the 35 was still a very good sawmill.
Wood Mizer LT40HD, Kubota KX71, New Holland LS150, Case TR270
6400 John Deere/with loader,General 20" planer, Stihl 880, Stihl 361, Dolmar 460, Husqvarna 50  and a few shovels,
60" and 30" Log Rite cant hooks, 2 home built Tree Spades, Homemade log splitter

hunz

Great mill, at times I wish I still had it. The one advantage to it over the 40 super I have now....simplicity. Maintenance and electronics with the bigger mills take longer to fix and troubleshoot. All can be handled by the average joe, one is just easier than the other.
Dream as if you'll saw forever; saw as if you'll die today.

2006 Woodmizer LT40D51RA, Husqvarna 372xp, Takeuchi TL140

DDobbs

Thanks for the great answers.
Of course I want a Lt40hd but if things work out that will happen.
Thanks
Dave
EZ Boardwalk 40
Stihl 650 Stihl 290

Chuck White

Quote from: DDobbs on October 18, 2015, 11:23:11 AM
I am thinking of upgrading to a LT35HD.

How is the 25hp on fuel?

What I have read the new style debarker is doing well?

Bolt pattern on the axle? Is it 5 on 4½"?

I will be sawing alot of Walnut, Poplar, Maple and a bit of Oak.

Maybe a few saw jobs. I will be 55 and done with my real job in a few weeks. 8) 8) 8)

Thanks
Dave

Dave;  I have now have a 25hp Kohler on my LT40HD and really like it!

I use 91 octane gas (to get away from the ethanol) and I can run about 8 "engine hours" on 3 gallons of gas.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

DDobbs

Has the LT40hd changed a lot since 2007 to today? There are a few good 300-500 hour mills out there that are in my budget.
Having built my first mill and owning my EZ Jr. now. I know there is always that log that is a tight fit. Sure I still have my CSM for that real big one.

Thanks ahead of time for putting up with my questions.

Dave
EZ Boardwalk 40
Stihl 650 Stihl 290

barbender

Quote from: DDobbs on October 21, 2015, 10:28:36 AM
Has the LT40hd changed a lot since 2007 to today? There are a few good 300-500 hour mills out there that are in my budget.
Having built my first mill and owning my EZ Jr. now. I know there is always that log that is a tight fit. Sure I still have my CSM for that real big one.

Thanks ahead of time for putting up with my questions.

Dave

They are all good questions ;) I don't think you will find many differences between an '07 and a new LT40. My LT40SHD is a '97 model, and it is very similar and updatable to the current models. The frame and hydraulic system, the head, and many other things are pretty much the same. I find mainly component changes, and upgrades. Different engines, setworks, a better debarker, I think the Auto-clutch comes standard on the new HD models, at least. A used low hour LT40 that has been well maintained can be a really good value!
Too many irons in the fire

Thank You Sponsors!