iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

How much wood are you burning?

Started by Firewoodjoe, November 28, 2014, 06:01:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

joecoin

I'm heating 1200 square feet single story house with a ~30 year old Englander free standing wood stove. It has a catalytic converter, I've never replaced the cat just clean it.

This season so far I've burned 1.5 cords , all hardwood. If I ever replaced my windows that would probably be cut in half. These windows were bad when installed and are only getting worse. I can feel a draft as I type this.The house is always warm with a gentle breeze.

Lazy logger

I have 1800 Sqft single story. I only have a trailer furnace for emergency (I haven't used it in over ten years). I have a wood cook stove in the kitchen and an old timberline in the living room.
I burn about 1 face cord a week no matter what temp outside.

I know the voices in my head aren't real,but sometimes their ideas are just absolutely awesome!

kcmack81

Other than the cold snap here the past few weeks been mild here burning maybe a cord and half a month. I'm averaging about 10 cord a year, and my house is about 2000 sq ft. Poorly insulated also. My stove will burn forever on green oak and go through seasoned wood like a fat kid with cake
Homemade OWB
Homemade 34T wood splitter
Husky 350, 235e
And a Fiskar chopping axe for moral support
94 GMC 4wd, long box wood hauler/snow plower
and she isn't winning a beauty contest

Thewoodman

None..... its stinking hot here 86F today (31 c). Cant wait for winter
Manuka / Radiata Pine / Redwood

Corley5

I've been burning through it.  Since the New Year we've been through about six face cord but we've had some fairly cold weather too.  It also doesn't help that if it falls below 75 in the house the family complains that it's cold so the average temp is 80 plus.  They wouldn't survive a winter of heating with anything other than wood.
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

DeerMeadowFarm

I'm burning about a cart and a half per day or 1/2 to 2/3 of a bucket on my tractor (5' long bucket)

upsnake

Been burning since Oct 1st, and have gone through  10 face (3.33 full cord).

DeerMeadowFarm

Quote from: upsnake on January 19, 2015, 10:20:22 PM
Been burning since Oct 1st, and have gone through  10 face (3.33 full cord).
That seems pretty good! I think I've been roughly through the same amount and I didn't start burning until November.

upsnake

So far this winter has been pretty mild, and I have been keeping the house cool, at 63.
I didn't have as good of year wood collecting as I would have liked, and only ended up with 6 full cord, so have been trying to be careful with usage this year.

DeerMeadowFarm

My wife likes it warm... we are at 72 degrees for the most part.  ::)

kcmack81

I cut and split maybe 2/3 of a ric (ric, face cord, 1/3 of a cord, whatever ya wanna call it) on Sunday,  was cold when I got home so I turned up the heat, been 78-80f since then and will burn all that I cut in 4 days. Right on track, equates to 10.01 cords......
Homemade OWB
Homemade 34T wood splitter
Husky 350, 235e
And a Fiskar chopping axe for moral support
94 GMC 4wd, long box wood hauler/snow plower
and she isn't winning a beauty contest

soilmover

Have had the boiler lit since beginning of October, 1800 sq ft house kept @ 72, 1400 sq ft shop @ 55 and have burned just shy of 7 cords this year. Mostly oak, some ash & maple. As long as I can keep the wood relatively dry, seems to last pretty good. 

kelLOGg

This southerner is chiming in and lowering the ante. ;D I burn about 2 rows from my shed.

That's about 1 cord per row. I stack it 16' long, 6' high and firewood length can vary from 12" to 24".
Bob
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

Thank You Sponsors!