iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Want to build a log arch

Started by wvwoodchuck, November 05, 2011, 10:53:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kelLOGg

I did build it big - it weighs 500 lbs - at the time I thought arches should be huge. Even though I can saw a max dia of only 32" I made the throat larger so I could carry several logs at once. I even put tail lights on it because I planned to take it to a farm we own an hour away but I have never done it. I took it on the road once for a short test drive and at 45 mph it bounced like a ping pong ball because it has ~100 psi in the tires; I watched the following traffic back up to a safer distance :o  Never took it on the road again. I'll transport it on a trailer.

It would be nice to make a smaller one, too - one that can be pushed by hand over a log, pivot up and lift one end and winch it out. that project is a long way off - if ever.  Thanks for the amazement, I think. ;D
Bob
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

thecfarm

I like the tractor. Looks like an old Ford.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

kelLOGg

Quote from: thecfarm on November 08, 2011, 05:50:09 AM
I like the tractor. Looks like an old Ford.

It's a 641 year 1958. 6volt is the only thing I don't like about it but haven't taked time to convert it.
Bob
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

Ron Scott

~Ron

caveman

Kellogg, nice arch and high voltage pine.  Caveman
Caveman

kelLOGg

Quote from: caveman on November 09, 2011, 09:12:06 PM
Kellogg, ... high voltage pine.  Caveman

:D  Yeah, it was my neighbor's tree. They wanted to wait and see if it survived the strike even though all the needles were brown in the spring ::). The tree went through the summer and fall picking up larvae and when I milled it, it was soft on the outside and solid on the inside. I cut them some fence rails for fence repair.
Bob

Furu

kelLOGg

You said you used mobile home axles.  How exactly did you do it?  I assume you cut the axle leaving a short stub of axle and then connected that to the square tubing.  I am not seeing how that works without undue torque on the short axles that would break them or the connection.  Do you have any close up photos of the joint of axle to upright?  I am planning on doing something very similar only with 3" pipe that I have laying around.

Spalted Dog

I used standard trailer spindle, and hub and dot tires.  Local farm store.  No chasing parts in a yard.  $200 max w all new.  If I had more time I probably would have scrounged parts.  It has paid for itself many times.  I set it up somewhat like a decked out slighty oversized Logrite Fetching arch.  Its not as pretty though.  I can move logs around yards by hand, tractor, or atv.  I can pick a 30" log.  I have also used it at the small end of tree length trees with th tractor and winch.  I would use caution hauling at road speed, if the log isnt rock solid, bad things can will happen (i got lucky)
The older I get the less I used to know.

rogdan

Lud

I built my arch out of an old transport disc.  The split axle  lets me straddle the log, lift with my tractor mounted winch and back over the manual mill as well.

I've hauled good size sticks on the country roads in 4th gear high range up to 6 miles.  Just showing that a bigger arch can have it's uses. 8)
Simplicity mill, Ford 1957 Golden Jubilee 841 Powermaster, 40x60 bankbarn, left-handed

Thank You Sponsors!