iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Poulan compression

Started by ramv102000, November 12, 2013, 05:20:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ramv102000

Hi, new member here .  I have a 14 year old Poulan 2250 with a 18" bar . Saw starts , idles and cuts great . After reading posts about compression here, I decided to test mine . Matco tools compression tester , pulled till it stopped going up and only read 90# . Am I doing something wrong ?
Randy

67L36Driver

Screw in tester with Schrader valve in tip?  Plull it over 6-8 times until the guage stops moving?  Those small Poulans in good condition normally pull 140 psi.
Over 40 old magnesium runners.  Plei Trapp Valley Duck!!! Club.

Red Good

Need to do a compression test with the saw warm and the throttle held wide open . Good luck .
Stihl 211C saw
Massey 135 deisel tractor with a front loader
Can Am 800 max quad
2001 Chev S10 pick me up
Home made log arch

Andyshine77

Quote from: Red Good on November 13, 2013, 01:18:23 AM
Need to do a compression test with the saw warm and the throttle held wide open . Good luck .

Why? Testing a warm engine will give you a lower reading, holding the throttle open does nothing. A saw normally won't run with only 90psi and it surly won't run well, the reading is incorrect.

I'm not sure what's driving all the talk about compression testing perfectly good running saws lately. :-\ Normally I only test a saw if I'm checking out a used one, when I'm porting a saw "because I normally increase compression", or if a saw lacks power. 
Andre.

Al_Smith

I've seen old antigues one would think would not run because of low comp do very well considering .

You need to remember that a compression test is called a static test .Once the thing is running the dynamic compression most likely would be considerabley higher.

If the thing runs okay don't worry about it .

ramv102000

Thanks for all your replies . I'm not gonna worry about it , the saw runs great since I've learned how to tune it and how to sharpen my chains .
Randy

Thank You Sponsors!