iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

locating logs?

Started by LewisNW, May 13, 2015, 12:15:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LewisNW

The father in-law and I just ventured into the sawmill world with a woodmizer lt35 hydraulic. We live on the eastside of Washington . Just curious if anyone has tips or knowledge of where could look for cheap if not free logs to get some time on the new mill?      Thx for your time

beenthere

Welcome to the Forestry Forum.

Lot's of territory on the East side of WA, if I remember correctly. That is Palouse country right?

What are you wanting to saw up?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

redbeard

Welcome!   Free always cost you something mostly your time. You could get the word out that you will saw 50/50 thats how I started. Good way to practice. I kept the mistakes and built a name for my self of sawing good straight lumber. Tree services are another reliable source. Just remember fire wood logs usually make lots of kindling and a couple of boards..
Whidbey Woodworks and Custom Milling  2019 Cooks AC 3662T High production band mill and a Hud-son 60 Diesel wide cut bandmill  JD 2240 50hp Tractor with 145 loader IR 1044 all terrain fork lift  Cooks sharp

zopi

One solution is to have your own method of transport and buying logs off the log landing..some loggers might go that route...especially for market price and they don't have to haul it...
early on I looked at having logs delivered, but without a way to unload em...not so much . 
Best score I ever made was when the pulp market pooped out, logger up the road had a bunch of 12" cypress he could not unload...he left em on the landing told me I could have all I could haul off and handed me the keys to the log loader.
I hauled logs for the whole weekend and left him a case of beer in seat of the skidder.
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

Chuck White

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, LewisNW.

Tree Service business is always a good "first contact"!

Might also contact a local forester.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

21incher

Welcome to the forestry forum LewisNW. You could try putting a ad on craigslist for a few before you find a permanent source. :)
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

LewisNW

Thx guys. Ya I'm in Spokane. Close to Idaho lots of log trucks rolling around ill try some loggers and the private tree services. We got 20 acres North of town but father in law wants to build a cabin so we are saving that timber till that time comes.  Another question I had was, where do I find a current  list of bd/f prices. Thx again

LewisNW

We are wanting to saw up either pine or Doug fir. First project will be a play house for the kids

beenthere

QuoteAnother question I had was, where do I find a current  list of bd/f prices.
Local lumber yard or a box store would be a place.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Ocklawahaboy

I saw lots of yard logs.  Downside of that is tramp metal.  It's a trade off.  I get a free log now and then and if I don't want one that day, I just don't go ask for it.  I often just follow the sound of the chainsaw.  That strategy does cost me a few blades. 

I don't deal with tree services because I find them unreliable.  I've made arrangements with a couple of them for specific loads and am always left with nothing.  Other downside for me is that I'm not available at a moments notice to have them drop the logs off, nor do I want to accept their choice of logs.  When they have a load to get rid of, they want it gone on their time frame and I just can't work with that right now.  Perhaps you can.

Craigslist has also sent some great logs my way.  Some cheap, some free. 

mad murdock

Welcome LewisNW. If you are interested in going rate prices in your area of what the bd ft price of logs in their various grades are, you can call up any log buyer for the mills in your region and ask for a copy of their log price list. Usually they update the going price on a 30 day schedule. Should be pricing available for Coleville and Kettle Falls mills, cant remember if there are any mills around Loon Lake. That N Spokane area is real nice. Some nice timber up that way.
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

SawyerBrown

Welcome LewisNW!  (and fellow LT35'er)  Let us know how you like your new mill after you've tried to saw a few parts off of it, will ya?
Pete Brown, Saw It There LLC.  Wood-mizer LT35HDG25, Farmall 'M', 16' trailer.  Custom sawing only (at this time).  Long-time woodworker ... short-time sawyer!

LewisNW

So far the only metal we have sawn is one nail I found in a maple log. We have been real gentle and slow with operating the mill So far. We had one close call and almost sawed off the roller on the first side support, but with two sets of eyeballs we have managed to avoid catastrophe so far.

j_d

I have the same mill and love it.  I found some practice logs at the city mulch dump.  They let people cut fire wood out of any logs taken up there from around town so I figured I'd do the same thing with the mill.  I have sawn several and so far no metal. 
Josh
God, Family, Tribe

WV Sawmiller

Sawyer,

I'm real happy with mine. Have a little over 7K bf on it to date. First roller is a little scared and top of hydraulic clamp is real smooth from close shaves but rest is okay.

I am about ready to modify to the "Hydraulics anywhere" option as I am tired of having to back out of 6-7' of log when I find I misjudged the height of a clamp or side support by 1/4". I have decided the safety value of the head being at the front of the mill to use my hydraulics is over-ridden by having to back out of a cut an sometimes puling the blade off the wheels.

Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

SawyerBrown

That is a bit of a pain -- can't tell you the number of times I've popped bands off trying to back out.  Are you making your own modifications, or how are you going about that?

Did you get the debarker option?  and if so have you made any modifications to that?
Pete Brown, Saw It There LLC.  Wood-mizer LT35HDG25, Farmall 'M', 16' trailer.  Custom sawing only (at this time).  Long-time woodworker ... short-time sawyer!

Thank You Sponsors!