iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

I miss the Old Timers

Started by wewacountryboy, December 21, 2017, 08:42:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wewacountryboy

The older I get, the more I find myself missing the elders in my life that have passed on. I was looking at some of my past conversations and noticed that quite a few have not been on in years. I sure do miss Tom's post and his wonderful advice. I noticed that Thiggy has not been on in years. He was such a nice man. I bought my first mill from him. In today's generation, you just don't find people with the work ethic, knowledge and respect as you use to.
Jonathan Hanson

POSTON WIDEHEAD

I've lost old timers all my life,  I guess.... but never thought much about it until I started a timeline.

My timeline was the day I got my mill.....boy did my mill draw in the old timers watching me saw logs and the stories the old timers told of circles mills.

In 7 years I have lost about 6 or 7 of those old timers due to their timeline.
I sure miss them.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Grizzly

As I've lost old timers in my life I've also had to realize that I am becoming someone elses old timer. Those values and morals and ethics we were taught need to be passed on. But I sure miss being able to run an idea past a friend/mentor with wisdom. Maybe I value them so strong because I've been without Dad for a long time.
2011 - Logmaster LM-2 / Chinese wheel loader
Jonsered saws - 2149 - 111S - 90?
2000 Miners 3-31 Board Edger

starmac

Even when I was still in school, the people I hung out with were generally anywhere from 10 to 20 years older than I was, there is not a lot of them left.
Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.

Ed

Quote from: starmac on December 21, 2017, 09:50:24 PM
Even when I was still in school, the people I hung out with were generally anywhere from 10 to 20 years older than I was, there is not a lot of them left.

Same here, almost all of my friends are older.

Burying your friends hurts.

Ed

Peter Drouin

I miss them too. But now I'm the old one, And none of the young care about  the old ways or even a new way to do things.
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

thecfarm

I miss the Old Timers too. My Father waited until he was 40 to have me. I knew alot of old timers.  ;D Those friends of his are gone.
Kinda odd to have an Old Timer come into the store and say,I know you won't know what I am talking about,but I am looking for a ............  ;D I say,yep,we have that,follow me. Comes in handy to have a Father that was born in 1923.  ;D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Chuck White

Yup, it really tugs at the heart!

Way back when my boys were small, quite often I'd say to them "respect your elders, they're the only ones you'll ever have"!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Magicman

I got a surprise phone call last night from the only other living male that I went the full 12 years of school with.  It's just the two of us left and we talk several times during the year.  We always joke about who will miss remembering the Birthday Call.  (It's my turn next)  I checked my phone after we hung us and we had talked for 58 minutes.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WV Sawmiller

I well know the feeling. I grew up with an old mentor my grandfather's age. He taught me how to catfish, trap quail, and skin a squirrel the easy way. He sometimes built boats and I regret I never got him to build me one later in life. It would have been a project we could have done together. Every time I tie a string on something using the special knot he taught me to put out a bushhook I think about him. My biggest regret is my son never got to know and spend time with him.

My son did link up with an old retired railroad worker who bought the place across from us and used to go sit with him and help him with his cattle or projects around the place. I always understood the feelings between the two. We bought our mule and had a set of harness made and had to go get the old man come over and help us put it together and on the mule (not that I ever got him to work with it but that is another story). My son's national guard unit got activated and sent to Iraq and I think my old neighbor worried more about him than we did and nobody was happier to see him return safely.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

petefrom bearswamp

I R the old timer in my circle of pals
they are all 15 yrs plus younger.
Old timers my age dont do the stuff I do.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Magicman

QuoteOld timers my age dont do the stuff I do.

Now I like that.   thumbs-up
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Bruno of NH

I'm glad I found this forum
I now have many older mentors I look up to on this place :)
I had lost most of my older friends and family and it started to realy bother me.
But now I know I have some folks to run things by when needed:)
Thanks Bruno/Jim
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

samandothers

Like thecfarm and others mention most of the old timers in my life were friends of dads.  He was born in 1920 and he and his friends are gone. Miss them and learn things from them. Do wish I'd paid more attention and retained more.

Texas Ranger

We are the old timers, now.  Sure don't know how I got here.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

sandhills

Maybe because you listened to them TR  ;).  I've lost a lot of good ones as well, don't imagine I'll ever live up to them but still an honor to have known them.  I look at all my neighbor's kids and I suppose I'm well on my way to being the "old timer" in their eyes, I'm probably 15 years older than their parents, hopefully someday they'll think back and remember time when.....

51cub

I often think how I should have paid more attention when the old timers talked. I had friends my own age, but still enjoyed listening to my fathers friends more. I guess at a young age I didn't understand how perishable their knowledge and stories were. Now I've been working at the same place since before some of my coworkers were born
I believe in the hereafter, because every time I take two steps into the tool crib to get something I wonder " what did I come in here after"

If nothing else I'm always a good last resort or the guy to hold up as a bad example

coxy

I wish I would have paid more attention to the older folks then  now that I'm getting older I want to know more about the things that went on around my county walking through the woods and find an old foundation and sit and wonder what was there and who lived there there is only 2 guys old enough to know about them but if they said it was snowing you better look out the window dad use to say they are as full of crap as a Christmas goose  ;D

woodmills1

I have a few that I miss, mom and dad included.  I also see quite a few of the younger ones who don't seem to have it.  But, one of the jobs I finished yesterday was for a company called gate city fence in Nashua, NH.  I have been cutting oak horse fence for them since probably 97 or so.  I watched the first generation make room for their sons and daughters, who worked hard and grew the company, and now am seeing the third generation  work hard and keep the business growing.  So, there are some good stories out there.
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

paul case

Quote from: Texas Ranger on December 22, 2017, 09:49:52 AM
We are the old timers, now.  Sure don't know how I got here.

I may not have age that you do but I have passed you in oldness...... I dont know how I got here and I cant remember what I was looking for. :D :D :D ;D

PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

petefrom bearswamp

Texas Ranger,
I second your thought
Life is like a roll of toilet paper.
The nearer you get to the end the faster it goes.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

paul case

Quote from: petefrom bearswamp on December 27, 2017, 08:32:02 AM
Texas Ranger,
I second your thought
Life is like a roll of toilet paper.
The nearer you get to the end the faster it goes.

The best part about getting over the hill is you pick up speed without pedaling.

PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

WV Sawmiller

My wife's 93 y/o snowbird Aunt C just left. Stopped off here last night on her way from Ohio to Fla for the winter. She had a rough summer and said she was in the hospital for some procedures and they put a catheter in her and had it hooked up to a big hose to drain. She was in the hospital bed and the hose was running between her legs and made a bulge under the sheet. A young nurse came in and was talking to her and saw the hose bulge and patted it and asked "What's this?" Aunt C said it just came to her and she replied "Didn't they tell you I came in for a sex change operation?"

She said the nurse turned several shades of red and left the room. I guess wasn't what she was expecting from a 93 y/o woman. You have to be real careful with these old timers who have a sense of humor. :D
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

maple flats

I remember when...... I guess I forgot already. Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most.
logging small time for years but just learning how,  2012 36 HP Mahindra tractor, 3point log arch, 8000# class excavator, lifts 2500# and sets logs on mill precisely where needed, Woodland Mills HM130Max , maple syrup a hobby that consumes my time. looking to learn blacksmithing.

tree-farmer

Wife says I've been an old geezer for years , but I've finally aged enough to wear it well.
I tell the 30 somthings I work with, "youth and enthusiasm is no match for old age and treachery"  ;D
Old doesn't bother me, its the ugly that's a real bummer.

Thank You Sponsors!