iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

feral hog in the mill yard

Started by Sunfield Hardwood, August 07, 2008, 07:35:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sunfield Hardwood

A week ago I saw the rear end of what I thought was a hog entering a corn field about half a mile from my house.I know a lot of you folks have feral hogs or wild boars, in your areas but just in the last year or so they have been spotted in Michigan. the dnr would like them all shot before they become a nusance. so anyway, yesterday while working in the mill I looked out back and it looked like something had been in the mudhole near the log piles, well I checked and surenuff it was hog tracks. I put a little corn there to sweeten the pot a little.This morning I snuck up on the wallow and there he[she] was. I had my bow, I've been practicing for a bear hunt, well the pig spotted me and ran into the woods, I moved ten yards to the side and a little closer. The pig came back in a few minuets looking where I had been before, giving me a 20 yd shot and here he is, It's the first one I know of in my county. I guesstimate about 200 lbs.  8)

2 international log trucks,woodmizer LT40 Super hyd, cat 910 frontloader, case 1845 skidloader,new holland 4x4 tracter with farmi whinch, lots of stihl saws, waiting to retire so I can spend even more time logging and sawing, yip-yip-yahoo

LeeB

'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

thecfarm

To late for The Pig Roast this year.  ;D  Next year The Pig Hunter will supply the pig. Looks good!!!!
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Ron Scott

Well Done! Another Pig Roast. ;)
~Ron

JAMES G

one less of those pain in the #$%^%  keep an eye out for the thousands of others who will be ready  to take its place :)

Reddog

Good job, nice eater size. 8)

I know you hunt enough to know this, but for others.
Don't use the guts for bait. It is one of the key ways trichinosis (sp?) is spread through the food chain.

Texas Ranger

1st generation, nose is not long enough, color is off, and it let you get within 20 yards without trying to eat you.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

WildDog

Good to see SH, don't let those ferals get a toe in the door or that nice green pasture will be gone, whats the setup your using?, the bow looks like a Mathews.

I was going to say how 3 inchs of ivory hanging of its jaw would get the addrenalin going at 10 yrds when your about to fling a sharpened stick at it but then I realised your training for a bear shoot >:(.........We don't get bears down under, I reckon I would rather tackle our pigs.

We have got a new grain based 1080 poisoned pig bait "Pigout" to start useing at work, just waiting for the go ahead from the department, expensive but should be a usefull tool in feral pig control.
If you start feeling "Blue" ...breath    JD 5510 86hp 4WD loader Lucas 827, Pair of Husky's 372xp, 261 & Stihl 029

Ron Scott

Missouri Governor Accepts Task Force Recommendations to Eradicate Feral Hogs in Missouri

On July 28, Governor Matt Blunt directed state agencies to implement recommendations made by an interagency task force charged with identifying major issues regarding feral hogs, their destructive habitats and potential to spread disease. The governor also called on the Missouri legislature to take action on the task force recommendations which included reviewing and implementing state laws and regulations on the illegal release of domestic hogs into the wild, developing plans in the event of a disease outbreak, and developing an educational message on the negative impacts of feral hogs. There are an estimated 5,000-10,000 feral hogs in more than 20 of Missouri's 114 counties on state, private, and federal lands including Mark Twain National Forest.  The feral hog population appears to be increasing from illegal introductions and from natural reproduction. Feral hogs are a threat to natural habitats of endangered species, such as the Hines emerald dragonfly.  The hogs also contribute to soil erosion, reduce water quality, and compete with native wildlife for food.

Chief's Newletter
~Ron

Ed

Good job on taking out the Hog! I hope you noified the dnr on your kill so they can keep track of the DanG things.

One was shot about 10 miles from my place (Shiawassee County) 2 years ago, haven't heard of any more being taken since.

Ed

Thank You Sponsors!